Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 04:39 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,801,462 times

Advertisements

How about we create smaller local farms and pay the workers a living wage?

The cows will be fed on grass instead of corn and we'll see less E. Coli outbreaks.

We need to have a safer food supply and we also need smaller farms.

We need to stop subsidizing corn and start subsidizing fruits and vegetables. It's a shame that you can buy a hamburger for less money than a pound of brocolli. So many people want to talk about "personal responsibility" when it comes to health care but no one talks about how heavily subsidized corn is. Corn is in our sodas, our burgers, diapers, and some of our medicines (Motrin).

If you've seen the movie Food Inc. , you'll know what I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 04:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,589,524 times
I know exactly what you are talking about but it won't happen.

Big Ag will not allow that and they have the $$$$ and lobbyists in DC to make sure we're kept in line.

Did you know the biggest receivers of crop subsidies are living in major cities ?
Did you know that Big Ag is pushing for tougher, more expensive laws on the small producer ?
So expensive it would put them out of business or make it illegal to sell their produce/meat/milk ?

I sell eggs from my chickens at $2/doz. I guess you'd consider them organic because they range and don't get chemicals. My "girls" are so spoiled - I give them hot oatmeal when it gets cold here to warm them up on chilly mornings !!! I'll betcha those big CAFO's don't do that. But I can't use "organic" on my sign because the government and big corporations took it over.

I will tell you that at $2/doz the girls pay for themselves ...egg cartons/scratch/feed.
In the supermarket you'll pay close to $5/doz for eggs claimed "organic" by government standards.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Big Ag will not allow that and they have the $$$$ and lobbyists in DC to make sure we're kept in line.

Did you know the biggest receivers of crop subsidies are living in major cities ?
Did you know that Big Ag is pushing for tougher, more expensive laws on the small producer ?
So expensive it would put them out of business or make it illegal to sell their produce/meat/milk ?

I sell eggs from my chickens at $2/doz. I guess you'd consider them organic because they range and don't get chemicals. My "girls" are so spoiled - I give them hot oatmeal when it gets cold here to warm them up on chilly mornings !!! I'll betcha those big CAFO's don't do that. But I can't use "organic" on my sign because the government and big corporations took it over.

I will tell you that at $2/doz the girls pay for themselves ...egg cartons/scratch/feed.
In the supermarket you'll pay close to $5/doz for eggs claimed "organic" by government standards.
I'm all for having standards but I don't want the standards to be cost prohibitive for smaller farmers.

I think if we elected less corrupt politicians, we could see the changes we want to see. It's so sad that corporations have pretty much bought a large majority of our Congress.

I'm not a big egg fan but I'd gladly buy from you.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:58 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,446,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
How about we create smaller local farms and pay the workers a living wage?

The cows will be fed on grass instead of corn and we'll see less E. Coli outbreaks.

We need to have a safer food supply and we also need smaller farms.

We need to stop subsidizing corn and start subsidizing fruits and vegetables. It's a shame that you can buy a hamburger for less money than a pound of brocolli. So many people want to talk about "personal responsibility" when it comes to health care but no one talks about how heavily subsidized corn is. Corn is in our sodas, our burgers, diapers, and some of our medicines (Motrin).

If you've seen the movie Food Inc. , you'll know what I'm talking about.

LOVE IT. and agree 110%. I live in NJ and travel to PA so I can get raw milk and produce that is not loaded with crap. I would love to be able to have a co-op farm with others in my town. Maybe if we all took just a little time and helped each to grow our foods we would be a lot healther and we would be able to sell what we grow in our towns.

AWESOME!

Old 11-06-2009, 04:59 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,041,527 times
thats why im stocked up on hierloom seeds not hybrids.so i can still harvest my own seed and not reley on some profit driven corp.plus they climatize to our area

Old 11-06-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
LOVE IT. and agree 110%. I live in NJ and travel to PA so I can get raw milk and produce that is not loaded with crap. I would love to be able to have a co-op farm with others in my town. Maybe if we all took just a little time and helped each to grow our foods we would be a lot healther and we would be able to sell what we grow in our towns.

AWESOME!

You travel to PA from NJ? Wow!

Working together? Nah...can't happen here.

Just kidding. I think co-ops are a great idea. It keeps the money in the community and employs people.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:02 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,761,160 times
Quote:

You're in Texas? Dang! I'd buy all of my eggs from YOU. You take good care of your 'girls!'

Ever watch the DVD "King Corn," or read Michael Pollans' "Omnivore's Dilemma?" There is so much subsidized corn in our food system our bodies are literally made of corn.

Motrin, too? Did not know that...

Old 11-06-2009, 05:02 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,965,920 times
People probably don't want to pay $5 for an ear of corn.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
People probably don't want to pay $5 for an ear of corn.
If it was grown organically and it helps keep more Americans employed, why not?

We should be demanding higher wages for these people that work in these industries. It isn't an easy industry.

I'd personally rather see the government subsidize healthier foods than corn and high fructose corn syrup.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:06 PM

843 posts, read 1,299,656 times
Quote:

This is what cap and trade is all about. Only instead of farmers it is to suppress competition in manufacturing and allow certain big corporations to get richer. But the Dems are all for the average Joe? LMAO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies