Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree or disagree: Society would be better off if women stayed out of the workplace
Strongly agree 34 12.93%
Mostly agree 22 8.37%
Neither agree nor disagree 19 7.22%
Mostly disagree 19 7.22%
Strongly disagree 169 64.26%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:03 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
What about men? The exact same thing can be said for us.

The cost of living has gone up? So in order to live in a nice house I have to be married? WTF? What if I don't get married and have a dual income?
You can still buy a house. I have many friends who own homes on one income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 11:31 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
What about men? The exact same thing can be said for us.

WTF? What if I don't get married and have a dual income?
You will probably be happier than most

Old 08-09-2010, 11:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
No its even better getting back to the time when women were satisfied to be a Mrs Ozzie Nelson or Mrs Ward Cleever with a nice kitchen a few sons or daughters and a white pickett fence.
Sons, just sons. Girls are less desirable!

My Three Sons, Bonanza, Ozzie and Harriet, Leave it to Beaver, etc. I think the only TV "family" in the 50s to have a girl was "The Danny Thomas Show", b/c DT had a daughter IRL.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-09-2010 at 12:51 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 11:56 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,899,855 times
I am retired, but I still work. Getting through this nutty world is work. It's a complicated place, and always changing. Women can adapt very well when we choose to simplify our lives. We can learn to call the shots for ourselves as human beings first, and females, second. There is work to do in the community. Feel free to pitch in, and help the needy. When they thank you, it's worth the effort.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:12 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I am retired, but I still work. Getting through this nutty world is work. It's a complicated place, and always changing. Women can adapt very well when we choose to simplify our lives. We can learn to call the shots for ourselves as human beings first, and females, second. There is work to do in the community. Feel free to pitch in, and help the needy. When they thank you, it's worth the effort.
Only thing I 'disagree' with is the last sentence. Helping others and making their lives easier or more enjoyable is worth it whether they say "thank you" or not.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:46 PM

15,054 posts, read 8,624,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
We are not brain dead - got the joke ha ha
What? You got a mouse in your pocket?

I promise you ... based on my many conversations, "brain dead" is no stranger to this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Funny you should bring your story up. Just the other night we went out to eat. Upon leaving the restaurant I noticed
a couple walking to their Silverado. He was a tall slender man, and she was quite large in size. He gentlemanly opened the door and let his girlfriend/wife in to the passenger side and shut her door. I said to the party I was with, "That's nice to see". Then the gentleman proceeded to sit outside the car and have a cigarette. After about 5 minutes, he got into the driver's side, started up the truck, and drove off. I turned and said "I don't know if he is a gentleman, or if he was trying to kill her. It was 97 degrees outside
Yeah, he probably should have started the engine, and turned on the air conditioner ... but then someone would have exclaimed how he was wastefully damaging the environment

I think the underlying issue with this particular topic (like many others) is way too much focus on the individual, and way too little focus on the greater good. What's best for everyone isn't always best for every individual (at least the immediate impression).

We have become a very selfish society, constantly concerned about "what's in it for me" instead of "what can I do to help". Too quick to point a finger, and too slow to offer a hand.

These "movements", whether it be gender, sexual orientation, or race based may seem legitimate on the surface ... and usually are founded upon real issues that give it credibility, but in reality, they are designed to create tensions and divisions, and when combined all together leads to only one result ... everyone at each other's throats, trying to one up the other.

Given that women make up a slight majority in the world with more women than men, how is it that women are classified as a "minority" ? I mean, doesn't that tell you something about how easily we can be manipulated .. and how willing we are to lie to ourselves? Hey, so long as someone sees some selfish benefit, even a lie will be readily accepted and promoted.

Here's the deal as I see it ... women's liberation and the equal status in the workforce was promoted under the guise of being beneficial for women, and on the surface, that made sense, and seemed quite fair. And it is fair .... to some women. Unfortunately, that led to the later need for two incomes to meet the costs of running a household, as everyone should realize by now, the "system" is designed to extract as much out of you financially as you can manage to pay, plus a little extra that you can put on credit. It's financial slavery. The result was now the typical family must have both adults working to make ends meet, and the children suffer from the lack of parental guidance and attention they need.

Even worse, if the partnership implodes under these stresses, now the single mother finds it twice the hardship with one income ... and the children suffer even more, financially and emotionally.

Women have been convinced that they are something less than they should be if they don't pursue a career and marriage and children, but in that scenario something is going to suffer ... can't short change the job or the career will fail ... if she's a decent woman, she won't put here children in last place, so the victim is most always the marriage. Once the marriage disintegrates ... divorce ... broken family ... and EVERYONE suffers.

Am I making this up? Hardly.

The divorce rate is slightly above 50% nationally, and in Southern California 60-75%!

Of those that divorce, 75% remarry, and half do so within 3 years. 65% of second marriages end in divorce too.

Between 1970-1996, the number of divorced people in the population QUADRUPLED .... that's just a span of 26 years (one generation). I don't know what the current figures are, but I'd bet they haven't improved.

Between 1970-1996, the marriage rate dropped by 30%, while the divorce rate increased 40% (70% less married folks in 26 years).

It seems that we have a serious crisis here, and the only winners are the lawyers, who are doing quite nicely.

Am I contributing ALL of this to the feminist movement? No, correlation doesn't prove causation, but I'm sure it's a major factor, along with financial issues being a serious factor in all relationship issues (which goes back to the fundamental economic shift from one wage earner to two).

Was the feminist movement just one big bright example of progress for women? Depends on what you call progress, doesn't it?

If you consider a 40% increase in single mothers struggling alone in an economy geared toward two wage earners ... then maybe.

If you consider a similar increase in the number of children suffering through divorces and living apart from their fathers ... maybe.

Those that consider these results a sign of progress and achievement for women are seriously blinded and immersed in self delusion.

But it's not all bad news ..... it's been great for the liberal lipstick lesbians who can combine their high corporate salaries, live in an posh upscale suburb, and adopt two baby boys from the single mother who cannot provide for them. And in 20 or so years, they will have managed successful careers, while raising two future interior designers who's only male influence in their confused little lives were two women who thought it all quite natural and normal.

Here's to ridding ourselves of that old female image of the 1950's:

And here is to the new 21st century liberated woman:

Progress indeed ...

Old 08-09-2010, 01:32 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sons, just sons. Girls are less desirable!

My Three Sons, Bonanza, Ozzie and Harriet, Leave it to Beaver, etc. I think the only TV "family" in the 50s to have a girl was "The Danny Thomas Show", b/c DT had a daughter IRL.
Not to be a pain in the a--, but Father Knows Best had daughters. And the Patty Duke Show, obviously. The Hazel show just had a boy. Even the Munsters had a son, (Marilyn was just a niece, wasn't she.) But the Addams Family had a daughter. The women in the monster sitcoms were much more assertive than the women in the other shows, though, weren't they? I think that even carried over to Bewitched. Supernatural women were much more assertive than regular housewives, and yet Samantha aspired to be be a "normal housewife".

Old 08-09-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Not to be a pain in the a--, but Father Knows Best had daughters. And the Patty Duke Show, obviously. The Hazel show just had a boy. Even the Munsters had a son, (Marilyn was just a niece, wasn't she.) But the Addams Family had a daughter. The women in the monster sitcoms were much more assertive than the women in the other shows, though, weren't they? I think that even carried over to Bewitched. Supernatural women were much more assertive than regular housewives, and yet Samantha aspired to be be a "normal housewife".
Most of those shows came along after the 50s. I'll concede "Father Knows Best".

Old 08-09-2010, 01:45 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Most of those shows came along after the 50s. I'll concede "Father Knows Best".
I don't know which decade, I only saw them as re-runs. I was just thinking of black and white shows with mom's in dresses, pearls and heels. But Patty Duke's show was surely from the 50's, wasn't it?

Old 08-09-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't know which decade, I only saw them as re-runs. I was just thinking of black and white shows with mom's in dresses, pearls and heels. But Patty Duke's show was surely from the 50's, wasn't it?
1963 to 66, according to Wiki. (Sorry, I can't cut/paste from this server).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies