Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 06:20 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
This claim has been made on the "Fort Hood" thread and I am interested in exploring it.

Clarification: I am not looking for evidence such as "Bush obviously has terrible disdain for them because he sent them to die in a stupid war..." etc. etc.

Rather, I am looking for specific examples of disrespectful actions and words.

For example, he has clearly exhibited disdain for American religion (the horribly condescending clinging to "guns and religion" remark)

Please stick to providing facts and analysing them, not "rhetoric" (partisan name-calling on both sides).

Thank you!
I wouldn't even pretend to know what Obama might be thinking.
I do know that this video comparing Dubya and Barry is quite telling;

YouTube - Different Presidents, A Different Corps

Semper Fi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 06:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
no but he is clearly not a yes man like the last oval office resident. hence the avalance of hate posts on CDF.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:24 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
No I would not say that he exhibts disdain for those who serve. Under values perhaps but not disdain.
Now Bill Clinton no question about it. Hillary ? Whoa there aint no love in her heart for those who wear the uniform.
Obama has yet to openly disrespect those who serve. I give him credit for that. There are many within his party who make no secret how they feel. Starting with the speaker of the house.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:28 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I wouldn't even pretend to know what Obama might be thinking.
I do know that this video comparing Dubya and Barry is quite telling;

YouTube - Different Presidents, A Different Corps

Semper Fi
Thanks for posting that, and yes I agree, it is quite revealing.

This is exactly what I am trying to get at -- what accounts for that difference in reception? Is it in response to anything President Obama has actually said?

Old 11-07-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Thanks for posting that, and yes I agree, it is quite revealing.

This is exactly what I am trying to get at -- what accounts for that difference in reception? Is it in response to anything President Obama has actually said?
Obama talks "at you" and not "to you"

Dubya, on the other hand, was just one of the guys ... he was casual, kind, and spoke "to" the situation, and "to" the people ... Obama doesn't do this.

Obama wears a suit and tie ... Dubya, wears a polo shirt ..

Obama doesn't feel the need to salute the flag, whereas, Dubya saluted every chance he got.

Dubya spoke in reasonable tones, whereas Obama "uptalks".

Dubya, through all of his bloops, bleeps, and blunders, came off as being more human.
Obama, on the otherhand, is too regimented ... terrified of saying the wrong thing, or mispronouncing even one word.

Obama needs to relax ... it's okay to be human you know .. and the sooner Obama gets his mind wrapped around that, the sooner folks might warm up to him.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:39 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,889 times
Quote:
Obama talks "at you" and not "to you"

Dubya, on the other hand, was just one of the guys ... he was casual, kind, and spoke "to" the situation, and "to" the people ... Obama doesn't do this.

Obama wears a suit and tie ... Dubya, wears a polo shirt ..

Obama doesn't feel the need to salute the flag, whereas, Dubya saluted every chance he got.

Dubya spoke in reasonable tones, whereas Obama "uptalks".
Yep--I forgot about that one, thanks!

Yet in fairness to the president, let's not forget about this one:

Obama breaks from Bush by saluting coffins of 18 Americans killed in Afghanistan

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6895168.ece

Old 11-07-2009, 06:42 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,315 times
that video has been explained before. its some standard army procedure. i was surprised to originally, but the two meetings were different. its hard to explain, but thats what i was told.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
that video has been explained before. its some standard army procedure. i was surprised to originally, but the two meetings were different. its hard to explain, but thats what i was told.
The difference here is that Obama "demands" respect because he is the President. troops that hear "Hail To The Chief" are forced to stand at attention ... (note that I said "demand" and not "command")

Dubya never really did that .. he already knew that he was the boss and so didn't feel the need to rub it in by playing "Hail To The Chief" every time he entered a room. Dubya commanded respect, so the responses were quite different than those of Obama.

As an added note;

Even if Dubya had played "Hail To The Chief" upon entering ... what do you think the troop response would be once they were put at ease? ... My money says they would have responded no differently than they already did without having to stand at attention in the first place.

Last edited by bigskydude; 11-07-2009 at 07:08 PM..

Old 11-07-2009, 06:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
The soldiers were at attention in the Obama vid.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:09 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,315 times
Quote:
The difference here is that Obama "demands" respect because he is the President. troops that hear "Hail To The Chief" are forced to stand at attention ... (note that I said "demand" and not "command")

Dubya never really did that .. he already knew that he was the boss and so didn't feel the need to rub it in by playing "Hail To The Chief" every time he entered a room. Dubya commanded respect, so the responses were quite different than those of Obama.
no you idiot lol. its an army procedure, katiana just explained it, standing at attention as katiana said.

that means you do nothing. you stand there with your head straight up at eye level with no movements.

bush they werent at attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies