Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:53 AM
obo

916 posts, read 986,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not in Texas. The law is on the victim's side when it comes to self defense.
No it isn't. Haven't you heard of Joe Horn???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 09:22 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
The OP's comments are stupid. So no guns = no terrorism? Gee, I'm sure the families of the 9/11 casualties will be happy to hear that.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:46 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I've been watching CNN and they are peddling a **** and bull story right now about all the mass shootings in the US in the past year and the common villain is "guns." Not Islamic terrorism, no, just . . . guns. We need gun control on our military bases! Yes, that's the answer!

Plus, every silly news anchor for the past 5 hours has managed to get in some comment about how they hope there won't be a backlash against Muslims due to the Ft. Hood attack. Not, "we hope we can prevent all future terrorist attacks against our military and our citizenry," but simply "we must all work together to protect the Muslims."

Unbelievable. It is so difficult to see so many people being so stupid.
I'm sure CNN failed to mention there already IS gun control on military bases.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:45 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
WHO exactly "took our guns"? Be specific please? Last time I checked you were allowed to own as many guns as you want. As long as you are not a felon. Heck even W let the assault weapon ban expire!
Sounds like moonshadow could be in the UK or Australia, but I don't know. At any rate, there are a LOT of places here in the US that have restricted firearms ownership to a select, elite few. NYC requires a harsh permitting process, and self defense requires retreat before lethal force is used, regardless of the circumstances. A thug in your home is not enough, you have to try and lock yourself in a room or whatever, and LE pulls the incident down to a fine edge, they like to prosecute folks for defending themselves. CA is the same way. The burden of proof as to the justification of a defensive shooting is totally on the defender, criminals have filed suit, and WON, after being shot in comission of a crime. CA has used the UK as a premise for this insanity, as has NYC, Chicago, and the insanity in CA originated in San Fran in the early 80's, when Feinstein was mayor there.
CA has also been the closest thing to an actual firearms confiscation program as well. They out right banned so called 'assault weapons' , and required people who owned them to surrender them. Out of the estimated 500000 such weapons owned there, les than a 10th of a % were actually turned in under that law. Massive civil disobedience. Yes, the federal 'assault weapons ban' was allowed to expire. W at least had the common sense to see it was a useless measure, that accomplished NOTHING in terms of stopping crime, of any kind. Had the president and congress we have now been at the helm, rest assured that would not have happened, and more than likely would have been massivley expanded as well. There are a lot of folks that would love to see a surrendering and/or confiscation of personal arms. So far, such things have been limited to municipalities and in CA, and have been dismal failures. I am certainly glad I do not live in CA. I have friends who have run afoul of the laws there, perfectly honest people, who were arrested and prosecuted as if they were hard core criminals, because they own firearms and were using them for perfectly legal and honest things. One guy lost his competition handguns, paid a hefty fine, and spent THIRTY days in jail, because his guns and ammo were in locked cases in the trunk of his car when returning from the IPSC/USPSA west coast championship in Stockton. Turns out the guns and ammo were secured properly, but, needed to be in SEPERATE Areas of the vehicle, however, having a firearm, or ammo, in the passenger area of a vehicle, locked up or not , is also illegal....pretty sneaky. It appears that transporting a firearm for legitimate reasons, or not, is a crime. They got ya, coming and going. He tried to fight it, asking how he was supposed to handle his situation in getting to and from the match and seperate his gun and ammo without using the cab of the car etc. The judge threw the book at him. It all sounded hinky to me. But I'm not a lawyer, and I canceled all plans to compete in CA this year because of this, as did a lot of my fellows.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:45 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
I have absolutely no interest in being armed.

Islamic terrorism is obviously not the reason behind mass shooting in this country, and while I know many people in this thread will not agree with me, I really don't think that it was the reason behind the Ft. Hood shooting.
there went that theory...

Old 11-09-2009, 12:02 PM

15 posts, read 50,737 times
Like the old saying goes, when guns are banned, only criminals will have them, because they don't give a sh#* about any laws, and when your wife, mother, sister or other loved one is getting raped or beat to death, call the cops, they may be there in 15 minutes or so, they can't be that quick to every call, that's when you wished your neighbor would come running, with his Glock ready to stop the threat! Criminals would love us all to act like sheep! That's not my choice! I took military training, plus civilian training to get my carry permit, its not like they pass the permits out to everyone that apply! Also you have to pass a background check! Hope this helps to get some thinking straight!

Old 11-09-2009, 12:40 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
Typical liberal knee jerk reacation. Shelter the criminal by deflecting the blame to someone or something else: victimhood on steroids. Guess what? There WAS gun control ON THE BASE, which is why 40 something soldiers were shot BEFORE being taken down by an armed policewoman. Thank God for that evil, nasty gun that stopped poor airborne post traumatic stress man from killing more.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:56 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Canada's rate of gun ownerhsip is the same as ours but lower murder rate. Try again. (Note: I gleaned that little tid-bit from Moore's Bowling for Columbine)

Canada is a much less densly populated nation of which only 2% is black. Blacks are far more likely to commit violent crimes than any other group.

Race, Crime and Justice in America

Old 11-09-2009, 03:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'm sure CNN failed to mention there already IS gun control on military bases.
Yes there is and that is why none of those soldiers had guns to defend themselves. It was a local police officer that thankfully had a gun and could shoot back.

Gun control already stripped those military folks on base of any weapons.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:11 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes there is and that is why none of those soldiers had guns to defend themselves. It was a local police officer that thankfully had a gun and could shoot back.

Gun control already stripped those military folks on base of any weapons.
gun control kills hundreds of people in this country every year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies