Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 05:31 PM

308 posts, read 517,843 times

Advertisements

I don't buy unemployment either, except I think it is the other way around. I have family members who were on unemployment up until they could no longer collect and now they are no longer considered in that number. The number does not also count part-time workers. I figure the number maybe 2-2.5% higher than the 10.2% reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 06:17 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
There is uncertanty but not collapse, despite high unemployment and forclosures I don't see thousands camped on the roadside or living under bridges. Most haven't even been deprived of the latest edition Playstation.

YouTube - Tent City Seattle

YouTube - Tent cities spring up in LA

YouTube - St. Petersburg Police cutting up homeless tents

YouTube - Tent Cities Popping Up Across U.S. - Al Jazeera English

YouTube - Alex Jones Tv 2/2:Tent City USA

Old 11-08-2009, 06:49 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
i don't buy the unemployment, not as bad as its being reported

neither do I..............IT'S WORSE!!!!

Old 11-08-2009, 06:51 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
i don't buy the unemployment, not as bad as its being reported

neither do I..............IT'S WORSE!!!!

I also disagree about the states unemployment data and agree with this post. The unemployment/job situation is much WORSE than the media reports. Were DC being run by the GOP, though, the mainstream media may be giving an accurate picture of how bad things are Economically.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Shadowstats says it's at 22%. With all the unemployment extensions I believe them.

Shadow Government Statistics - Home Page

How many extensions have we had now ? Are we up to 52 weeks of unemployment insurance payments ? Do you really think things would be this bad at only 5% over normal unemployment (5%) ? No, I think it's much worse then the fluffy numbers the BLS spits out.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:13 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
I think a lot of people just don't know how to job hunt anymore. I have a friend who put her resume on a bunch of sites and then spends about an hour a day doing mass emails.

I have a acquaintance who was trying to staff a call center in Deerfield Beach, FL...think the pay was starting @ $9.00 - $10.00 if you had prior experience...she said the turnout at their open house was terrible, which I thought was odd because I keep hearing that everybody and their mama is looking for a job in FL.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I also disagree about the states unemployment data and agree with this post. The unemployment/job situation is much WORSE than the media reports. Were DC being run by the GOP, though, the mainstream media may be giving an accurate picture of how bad things are Economically.
I disagree. Doesn't matter which party is in power, the BLS numbers would be the same ones quoted.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:01 PM

595 posts, read 761,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, I'm self employed. Home improvement (specifically, ceramic tile installation). Let me tell you: there is no work. This since Obama's election a year ago. Everything came to a halt.
So true , my son is living day to day in his company of tile, laminents and specialties. He has hung on to as many helpers as he can. He is online continually making bids and has to lower his price extremely to survive.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:31 PM

595 posts, read 761,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Right. Tell that to the millions that have been out of work for an extended period of time.

Why is the Federal Government again extending coverage for an additional period?

Glad you're working. But a lot of people aren't, and it's getting worse, despite your very unscientific method of assessing the situation.
When I see children and parents on the street, living in tents, feeding 250 for one meal, it's bad here in Florida. Over 11% unemployed, not counting the ones who have lost all benefits. people are waiting 7-8 months just to be hired into Goodwill. I hate unemployment! And yes, searching for a job is a 8 hour a day job. I could care less if it is scrubbing floors, you can always build yourself up in a company.
I am on every job site there is, in every job bank and everything available and everything new comes to my email. Everywhere I go I put in a app.
I once was on unemployment 10 years ago and had a job in two weeks, months is not on my agenda. I love to work. I just keep telling others, don't give up and keep busy.
Truth is being there and helping others in the same situation. Go to the job and food banks and the homeless shelters, the campgrounds and the streets. This is real!
Good post nononsenseguy.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
the unemployment is nto really hhmmmm?
song of the GOP for last 8 years isnt life better now for you personally than it was 20 years ago?
dont worry be happy.
why are you not singing now rush limbaugh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies