Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 12:20 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,474,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
WRONG.. If a company chooses to drop their health coverage, the individuals HAVE to take part of the public option or go to jail. The employer simply pays a tax. Employer cant have their corporate coverage subsidized? When does a corporation need healthcare? I've been to lots of doctors offices and hospitals, I dont think I've EVER seen a corporation in with a doctor discussing their health issues.

*sigh* read s-l-o-w-l-y. That might help.

The employer/corporation does not itself provide healthcare to its employees. It uses an underwriter like Blue Cross, etc. The only reason the employer has anything to do with healthcare for its employees is the same reason you can get health coverage through an independent association like AARP, USA Cycling, etc. - because of the large number of individuals who are interested in coverage, they can negotiate collectively and get a better deal than an individual who is trying to buy health insurance.

That said, it is completely voluntary for the employer to be involved. The only reason they are, is because it is a benefit that attracts and keeps employees. Being that it is voluntary, they can drop the benefit at any time.

When I said that employers are not eligible for the public option, I meant that employers who currently offer, or want to offer health coverage to their employees, must still cover the cost of coverage or share the cost with the employees. They have no option for government subsidization for their employee plans.[/quote]

Quote:
ooh look, another uneducated posting claiming that its healthcare costs bankrupting individuals. You must have seen the news stories which also talked about the REAL reasons they file bankruptcy..

Their inability to pay their bills often times due to a loss of income DURING THEIR ILLNESS..

This bill does not solve that problem because if you get sick and cant pay your mortgage, you still file bankruptcy..
Not only are you wrong, you don't even know WHY you're wrong.

Most medical bill-related bankruptcies are filed by people 65 and older - people on fixed incomes who are no longer working. Thus, there is no work to miss. It is purely the bills themselves, and the rejected coverage of necessary medical procedures by insurance companies that leads to bankruptcy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 12:22 PM

37,953 posts, read 22,062,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
I never said there was one. Just that dropping coverage is an option for employers already, that simply won't change after the reform.
Well, what employer would not want to drop their privately funded coverage if 0bamaCare will raise taxes on them to pay for it anyway, and forces the costs to rise for all private healthcare providers?

Old 11-08-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Hey, you're the one who went all off into this rediculous "Mandatory Everything" spin ...

I provide you with a bit of a history lesson on mandatory things, and all of a sudden you want to take your toys and go home.

Figures

Duck, and Cover used to work in the 50's ... it doesn't go over so well these days though .. especially when you're wrong on things like mandates and tyranny.
No, you're the one who started the "tyranny" BS.

I'm more than happy to continue this discussion, just in another thread. Link me to it, and I will join you.

It's difficult enough to debate online without people going off-topic because they have their own agendas.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Well, what employer would not want to drop their privately funded coverage if 0bamaCare will raise taxes on them to pay for it anyway, and forces the costs to rise for all private healthcare providers?
Because there is a financial penalty on employers who do NOT offer coverage.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:26 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,898,744 times
Quote:
No, you're the one who started the "tyranny" BS.

I'm more than happy to continue this discussion, just in another thread. Link me to it, and I will join you.

It's difficult enough to debate online without people going off-topic because they have their own agendas.
No agenda here .. could be what's troubling you.

You tried to educate me on tyranny, and I showed you were wrong ..

States rights? You brought that up.

I simply stated a fact that you didn't want to hear. In that, this nation can get by with a lot less than you think.

Once you get off of the government teat, and join the rest of us, you'll be able to see what most of us are talking about much more clearly.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I said that, you said I was wrong..

Lets examine those "options"..
1) Public option
2) Super expensive Cobra
3) 5 years jail / $250,000 fine.

You call that an OPTION? Stop digging yourself in the hole and just admit you were wrong..

Since your claiming this bill does not allow the government to subsidize the employers care, that would mean that currently they do. What is the tax form I need to fill out to have the government subsidize my employees costs?
Ha! Read my other comment.

Wait, nevermind - it uses logic. Something to which you are immune, as this comment illustrates.

Did I say the government will currently subsidize employer plans? No. Nor will they in the near future. This is one of the many things that WILL NOT CHANGE under the reform. Seriously, re-read all of my comments AND all of your comments before responding again. You're just looking silly at this point.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:31 PM

37,953 posts, read 22,062,169 times
Quote:
Not only are you wrong, you don't even know WHY you're wrong.

Most medical bill-related bankruptcies are filed by people 65 and older - people on fixed incomes who are no longer working. Thus, there is no work to miss. It is purely the bills themselves, and the rejected coverage of necessary medical procedures by insurance companies that leads to bankruptcy.
Sooooo, 0bamaCare will be any different then Medicare? People 65 and older are on Medicare, and if they are going bankrupt......

Old 11-08-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
No agenda here .. could be what's troubling you.

You tried to educate me on tyranny, and I showed you were wrong ..

States rights? You brought that up.

I simply stated a fact that you didn't want to hear. In that, this nation can get by with a lot less than you think.

Once you get off of the government teat, and join the rest of us, you'll be able to see what most of us are talking about much more clearly.
Again, you're wrong. YOU brought up tyranny. YOU brought up Federal taxes, and by association, State taxes.

You put up straw man after straw man argument in a concerted effort to avoid the real discussion: a public option for individuals without health insurance.

And you're clearly afraid to elaborate on those straw men, because you have failed to start new threads on those topics.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:32 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,898,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Sooooo, 0bamaCare will be any different then Medicare? People 65 and older are on Medicare, and if they are going bankrupt......
oooooh ... I see where this is going .. and your presumption might be hitting the nail on the head.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:33 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,405,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Finally. Now let's hope the Senate cares enough about the American people to do the same.
I can't find my puke smiley...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies