Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:32 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times

Advertisements

Since collectively we spend less time and resources to feed our nation than any other nation in the world, I'm not too concerned. A gallon of milk, loaf of bread, or head of lettuce costs less today adjusted for inflation than they did 25 years ago. If that is the downside, let them take over the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 08:35 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Since collectively we spend less time and resources to feed our nation than any other nation in the world, I'm not too concerned. A gallon of milk, loaf of bread, or head of lettuce costs less today adjusted for inflation than they did 25 years ago. If that is the downside, let them take over the rest.
The quality of these food items is far worse. The hormones in milk cause men to grow breasts and grow to unprecedented heights (bad for joints and limbs). Crops have fewer nutrients such as magnesium (a common cause of "restless leg syndrome"), and bread has far less fiber and more empty calories. So, in reality, food in America was unable to escape the scourge of inflation. For all of Europe's other problems, at least I felt better whenever I visited family overseas and ate food on a daily basis over there. Same thing here when I eat food only purchased from the local farmer's market.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,993 times
Another great one to watch is " The future of food" all about Monsanto

Old 11-08-2009, 08:59 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
No dead animal entrails for me, I am loading up on Loma Linda, Cedar Lake, and Vibrant life meat alternatives from the 7th day advent store. I am willing to pay more $ for smaller quantities of HIGHER QUALITY from the smaller companies. Higher quality food satisfies the appetite. Frankenfoods leave you full of additives, and god knows what all. The ingredient list can say "natural Flavors". Well, that can mean black widow juice, ant eyes, cow bungs.

Think about what you are putting into your body. Read labels, and hope for the best. Some cheap foods are cheap or on sale because the corn is tough, or the peppers are skins that you can't chew. You do not have to be a victim. Irradiated foods are sneaky, too. Watch that sodium count. Long live Turtle Island Tofurky !

Old 11-08-2009, 09:16 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
not unless you live in a rural area. I can't have chickens or cows in the suburbs. come on...
Get to know your local farmers and ranchers.
Here's where to start:

Search - LocalHarvest

I did this based on Denver since I'm not sure what town you are in...enjoy!

Old 11-08-2009, 09:27 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
No dead animal entrails for me, I am loading up on Loma Linda, Cedar Lake, and Vibrant life meat alternatives from the 7th day advent store. I am willing to pay more $ for smaller quantities of HIGHER QUALITY from the smaller companies. Higher quality food satisfies the appetite. Frankenfoods leave you full of additives, and god knows what all. The ingredient list can say "natural Flavors". Well, that can mean black widow juice, ant eyes, cow bungs.

Think about what you are putting into your body. Read labels, and hope for the best. Some cheap foods are cheap or on sale because the corn is tough, or the peppers are skins that you can't chew. You do not have to be a victim. Irradiated foods are sneaky, too. Watch that sodium count. Long live Turtle Island Tofurky !
You are still breathing the air and drinking the water.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
not unless you live in a rural area. I can't have chickens or cows in the suburbs. come on...
More and more cities are allowing folks to have backyard chickens (no roosters though). Might want to check with your city hall and if not start a petition with your neighbors.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:13 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
The quality of these food items is far worse. The hormones in milk cause men to grow breasts and grow to unprecedented heights (bad for joints and limbs). Crops have fewer nutrients such as magnesium (a common cause of "restless leg syndrome"), and bread has far less fiber and more empty calories. So, in reality, food in America was unable to escape the scourge of inflation. For all of Europe's other problems, at least I felt better whenever I visited family overseas and ate food on a daily basis over there. Same thing here when I eat food only purchased from the local farmer's market.
Also, and this is no laughing matter though it may cause a few snickers, the hormones in dairy and meat products are causing male genitalia to be smaller and sperm counts are 50% what they were 50 years ago. I worked with urologists who told me that this was a topic that was presented at conferences.

I rarely eat dairy or meat these days. Anyone inclined to do a vegetarian diet should be wary of too much soy as a meat substitute. Soy can suppress thyroid function. Better to get your protein from legumes, nuts, and brown rice.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:21 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Obama hired a big time Monsanto lobbyist as an agricultural czar if I recall. What a great idea! Monsanto patents seeds and even forces farmers who never bought Monsanto seeds into their patent agreement, simply because bees cross-polinated from a neighboring farm who might've purchased Monsanto seeds.

Food Inc. is actually an ANTI-government stance on the food industry. Since lobbyists at the biggest firms buy politicians (see above), it stands to reason that bucking that trends sends a message to Washington that our food choices will not be decided upon whom THEY favor.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...food-czar.html

Old 11-08-2009, 10:25 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of getting a freezer for the garage and buying a whole or half cow butchered for me, instead of buying meat at the grocery store.
I'd rather own the cows, pigs and chickens. Screw the government and the lefty wachos who think cow farts will render the Earth inhabitable. I have little patience for bored middle-aged hippies sticking their noses in my refrigerator. They want organic? I got something organic for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies