Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:18 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,250,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Similar numbers in Virginia, even though a lackluster candidate and campaign by the Democrats helped turn out an electorate that had voted 51-43 for McCain a year ago. 56% said Obama was not factor, 24 percent said their vote was meant to express opposition to him, and 17 percent said it was to support him. Perhaps even more telling was that both those calling themselves Liberals and Conservatives went for the expected candidate by margins of 91-9, but the vaunted Moderates in the middle (42% of all those who voted) who were supposedly doing all this shifting to the right, went for the Democratic candidate by 53-47. The election in Virginia turned on the fact that Conservatives, desperate for some sort of win somewhere, were more motivated to get to the polls than Liberals, who were mostly somewhere between uninspired and turned off by the Democratic candidate and his campaign.
Yeah, I for one was never quite sure what the heck Deeds was doing in the race. Some speculate that Republican participation in the open primary is what made him the Democrat candidate, but I don't think I've seen that proven anywhere...

Deeds' campaign had zero direction or message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,511,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Yeah, I for one was never quite sure what the heck Deeds was doing in the race. Some speculate that Republican participation in the open primary is what made him the Democrat candidate, but I don't think I've seen that proven anywhere...

Deeds' campaign had zero direction or message.

Corzine should have seen the writing on the wall a long time ago. His approval rating looked like Bush's towards the end. History has shown here in NJ that voters will forgo the polls to keep from giving their vote to the opposite party (ignorance IMO). But then bytch gripe and moan when they do not agree with the candidate that won.

Surprisingly Christie won districts of NJ that were historically Democrat, mainly due to low voter turnout.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:50 AM

757 posts, read 800,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Give it up cowboy. A recent Democratic study concluded that the nationwide protests are all about Big Government and the perception that Obama and Congress are steering the country away from its principles and its roots, not about race. Perhaps they don't tell you that in The Oklahoman or Tulsa World. Expand your horizons a bit. It's quite liberating.
Tea baggers hardly represent the majority of Americans. They are a bunch of bitter losers. As far as Obama's job approval, a majority of Americans approve of his job performance. He has a 53% approval on Gallup and a 51.5% approval on Realclearpolitics. Those who disapprove are at 42 %. Last time I checked 42% was less than a majority of 50+%
It's also funny you assume I get my news from the conservative Daily Oklahoman or the Tulsa World. The Daily Oklahoman is owned by the very conservative Gaylord Family.

source: RealClearPolitics - Opinion, News, Analysis, Videos and Polls

Gallup.Com - Daily News, Polls, Public Opinion on Government, Politics, Economics, Management

Last edited by okccowboy; 11-10-2009 at 10:02 AM..

Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 AM

33 posts, read 30,172 times
Faint hopes

after more then 30 years of conservatism in the USA-
it seems silly they are 'surging again' after 1 year of Obama
the GOP offers nothing to solve the nations problems, except more of the same solutions that have gotten us into this mess.

You may begin to see the GOP really emerge again in about 20 years, once they shed their racist, white power, homophobic, anti family, anti science dogma.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:19 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,069,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
That has worked to our advantage as well. There is NO national GOP figure who is clearly the leader of the party, although the dems/libs have tried it with RUsh and a few others.

No, the uprising of the citizens, the sliding in the polls for obama and his obamacare boondoggle have come from a genuine grassroots anger over government spending and taxation. Include in the the swing back to the republicans of the all important Independents, who went for the (R)'s in NJ and VA overwhelmingly.

There is really no one, other than the American people, for obama and the Left to target. They tried to do it with the TH protesters - epic fail.

They tried to do it with Fox - epic fail. With Rush - epic fail.

I will repeat the same thing you just said:

".....there was NO Republican who could "unify" their party ! LOL!""

What a great party ...NO strong leader....and they want to win the presidency????
LOL! They have to rely on how bad someone else is perceived to be to get elected???

Old 11-10-2009, 11:47 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,851,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
As an Independent I can tell you that the Republican actions this year have driven me away from them, maybe for ever. In the past I have voted for both Dems, and Republican candidates for Congress, and 3rd party for president, but I don't think I can pull for Republicans again. I probably won't pull for Dems either.
I agree 100% Finn. As an Indpendent, I see the Republican Party as in disarray, they have few ideas and few leaders and they refuse to dump the far right and neo-conservatives from their Party. Until they reform I will not be voting for a Neo-republican to go to Washington. As for the claim that Indes are flocking to the Repubs, I do not know even 1 Inde that thinks that way, sounds like just more BS to me. I love it when they say people in America are conservative on average and jump to the conclusion that Americans consider the Repubs conservatives, sorry folks but Dubya and a Repub Congress but an end to that line of thinking. Threads such as this always make me wonder if some people think that if they say something often enough it will somehow become truth, delusional thinking.
Casper

Old 11-10-2009, 12:54 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,784,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

I will repeat the same thing you just said:

".....there was NO Republican who could "unify" their party ! LOL!""

What a great party ...NO strong leader....and they want to win the presidency????
LOL! They have to rely on how bad someone else is perceived to be to get elected???
I have no problem at all with this. Much better to have obama attack your average citizens than a specific GOP leader. Unfortunately for him, that makes his behavior seem all the more petty and vindictive.

He has done what no other figure could do in just 10 short months. He and his radical agenda have given us two huge victories in blue states.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I'm a disgruntled Republican too. It seems the million or so who have dumped the GOP are more militant about it being taken over by the Limburger Cult than liberals are
Another BS call.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:56 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,511,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I have no problem at all with this. Much better to have obama attack your average citizens than a specific GOP leader. Unfortunately for him, that makes his behavior seem all the more petty and vindictive.

He has done what no other figure could do in just 10 short months. He and his radical agenda have given us two huge victories in blue states.

You still trying this little farce? Obama had NOTHING at all to do with NJ outcome, NOTHING...Don't let the facts get in your way of course.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Similar numbers in Virginia, even though a lackluster candidate and campaign by the Democrats helped turn out an electorate that had voted 51-43 for McCain a year ago.
Huh? Obama won Virginia last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies