Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Fry's and Safeway unions acting in the best interests of the workers by forcing a strike?
No, and I will cross the picket lines 6 85.71%
No, but I will not cross the picket lines 0 0%
Yes, but I will cross the picket lines 0 0%
Yes, and I will not cross the picket lines 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:57 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,809,609 times

Advertisements

Are the workers allowed to vote on whether or not to strike?

Strike looming for employees at Valley Fry's, Safeway stores
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 09:00 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Are the workers allowed to vote on whether or not to strike?

Strike looming for employees at Valley Fry's, Safeway stores
I have never heard of a union going on strike without a vote of the membership, and the same goes for ending a strike.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
in a world of pay and benefit cuts i marvel that american labor is still so very anti labor.
just when did it become patriotic to be min wage no benefits.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:05 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
If you read the story you realize that they are all bad at math. They are going to strike at a payrate of $150 per week (a substantial paycut) because they don't want to pay $5 a week in health insurance. The whole country has to pay something for their insurance. I hope they fire them all and hire illegals. Sanganista would approve. Keep the illegals is her call sign, if I remember correctly.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:10 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
If you read the story you realize that they are all bad at math. They are going to strike at a payrate of $150 per week (a substantial paycut) because they don't want to pay $5 a week in health insurance. The whole country has to pay something for their insurance. I hope they fire them all and hire illegals. Sanganista would approve. Keep the illegals is her call sign, if I remember correctly.
Shweeeeeeet!!!

Old 11-08-2009, 09:11 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
It is interesting that a union of unskilled workers is even considering a strike. What they apparently do not realize is just how easy they are to replace. Unions are formed by skilled workers who cannot be easily replaced - Hence why a strike is successful by coal miners, factory workers, etc. If a group of unskilled workers strike, they can just as easily be fired and replaced. That is why unions are typically useless when formed by people who have no real advantage over their employer, and why they are hardly successful in minimum wage, aside from the temporary nature of the work (who works at a grocery store for more than 6 months - 2 years?) and fleeting membership.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:18 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,809,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Don't all the illegals have mediical cards?

Old 11-09-2009, 05:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
In todays economy anyone who goes out of strike needs their heads examined...especially over a $5 increase in anything.

Nita

Old 11-09-2009, 06:19 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
in a world of pay and benefit cuts i marvel that american labor is still so very anti labor.
just when did it become patriotic to be min wage no benefits.
I agree with you and deplore the pillaging of this country and its workers by big corporations while so many just sit silently. But this is not the issue that should be the focus of the fight.

I don't know where this notion came from that workers - or anyone, for that matter - is entitled to unlimited free "health care". That "blank check" mentality is the foundation of the crisis we face in "health care" costs. It is why the system is overused to an utterly ridiculous level and why big corporations have moved in to rake up the enormous profits that result from endless needless prescriptions and procedures administered in an environment with no competition or concern about cost. Employers cannot and should not be expected to bear the full burden of this upward cost spiral. Individuals need to take their share of the responsibility and make wiser decisions. With most people, apparently the only way to accomplish this is by compelling them to bear a greater share of the costs.

Again, all I'm saying is that "health care" is not the hill the union should select as the one to die on. In the big picture, I am with the American worker in the battle against the plutocracy that we have become. This "health care" fight - which if won by the union would just serve to keep big corporate "health care" companies fat and happy - is wasted time and effort that should be focused on the fight for better wages, against the exploitation of illegal immigrant labor, and against the outsourcing of jobs overseas.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:05 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,286,626 times
I don't suppose we have a Valley Fry's here, and there is not a Safeway anywhere close. Maybe I'll do an internet search for Safeway so I can find one close enough to allow me to drive there and cross the picket lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies