Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:20 AM

952 posts, read 938,878 times

Advertisements

The Surgeon General has issued a warning --- "Living on the Planet Earth can be Hazardous to your Health".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 08:39 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,209,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
Can food sucks; if you eat fresh, you can taste the preservatives. America and the world in general has gotten away from wholesome cooking in preference for prepared foods. It makes sense that long term food storage will leech elements and minerals from its container.
Basically I agree with you, that is why I use almost no canned goods or even frozen except for what I prepare myself, but it the real world, this isn't all that easy. We no longer live in a world where mommy stays home to cook and clean. Today's mommies don't have time to always cook from scratch.

Nita

Old 11-10-2009, 08:52 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,423,919 times
Holy crap!!! I made sure that I don't use the plastic with this crap in it and it is in freakin soap?? thank God we don't eat much canned soup and what I have is going in the garbage right now!!! Thank you for posting this I heard nothing about it on the news and would have never known.

Formerly dcadca

Old 11-10-2009, 08:55 AM

22,230 posts, read 17,789,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Holy Green Giant, Batman! I'm just going to stop eating entirely!
This is an amusing response. But if people really think about it, they may actually take the time and effort to look at what they eat. How it's packaged. How it's grown. How it's distributed. What it's nutritional value is. This is an awareness that is growing and very definately needed. Another big plus, you aren't forced to do it, you have the choice to do it.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:09 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,726,259 times
Well, there goes the grilled cheese and cream of tomato soup comfort food lunches......

Old 11-10-2009, 09:23 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,618,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
thats why i grow and can my own food. it is a lot of work but heck i dont have to deal with my stupid gov
I'm all for growing and canning your own food, but how does this translate to something the "stupid government" is doing? The FDA is trying to get the food industry to stop using the BPA stuff and industry is fighting the efforts.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:29 AM

4,790 posts, read 5,880,141 times
I recall a few cans that are lined with white. I use a few canned things, but I do miss glass containers. I like to see what's in there before I buy it. Another thing : we don't really know how to decode some of those date code numbers. I like to buy simple no salt stuff. Contains : tomatoes, water. I get really miffed when they add sugar to canned sweet peas.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:00 AM

22,230 posts, read 17,789,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I recall a few cans that are lined with white. I use a few canned things, but I do miss glass containers. I like to see what's in there before I buy it. Another thing : we don't really know how to decode some of those date code numbers. I like to buy simple no salt stuff. Contains : tomatoes, water. I get really miffed when they add sugar to canned sweet peas.
And you should get miffed. It is somewhat difficult and time consuming to make good food shopping choices. There are people doing something about. From Yale Univ, there is a group that has developed a nutrition scoring system called Nuval. They have enlisted some grocery chains in the north and notheast. What they are doing is establishing a nutritional score on items in the store so that people can see immediately if that product is valuable or not. A very simple thing that is growing fairly quickly. Google nuval, you can see what I am talking about.

Generally speaking, there is a growing awareness individual's responsibility for there own health. My business is in the Prevention and Wellness area and is has been growing very quickly, and frankly feel it is about to explode. So I am very hopeful for our health future, as I believe many of these large companies are going to see that there is a dim future in continuing to poison their market.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:03 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,726,259 times
I have turned to purchasing only organic canned goods and of those, only beans and tomatoes to toss into soups. They line their cans in order to prevent chemicals from leaching into the food. Campbell's soups were my last non-organic hold-out.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:10 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,756,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Also look for BPA-free plastics. Any and all plastics contain that as well.

plastic is dangerous for many reasons beyond just BPA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies