Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:13 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Stop, the "different world" argument...
Remember that 260K for the YEAR you were talking about? That YEAR actually turned out to be over 3.6 million. Different world. A world of economic freefall. That's what Bush passed on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 06:15 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Smile And more of the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The problem is a stimulus bill that didn't stimulate and never was intended to stimulate and lying about it stimulating now, isn't fooling anyone. And because of that phony American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, every "reform" he and his minions in Congress champion from here on in is suspect.
"That darn Obama hasn't returned America to prosperity in his first nine months! He's worthless I tell you!"

Old 11-10-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The problem is a stimulus bill that didn't stimulate and never was intended to stimulate and lying about it stimulating now, isn't fooling anyone.
What have you been doing with the extra Make Work Pay tax credit money you've been receiving since last Spring?

Old 11-10-2009, 06:21 AM

974 posts, read 1,587,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
What have you been doing with the extra Make Work Pay tax credit money you've been receiving since last Spring?

Saving it up to pay for my power bills if the crap and tax bill passes. Not going to blame Obama alone, Old Stuttering Wonder hurt this country badly, I just keep seeing the same thing over and over from politicians from both sides of the isle.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:37 AM

Hmmm. One thing to keep in mind -- if we do nothing, the costs of both energy and health care are going to go up substantially in the near-term and very substantially after that. Again, that's if we do nothing. These are problems that we should have addressed decades ago, but didn't. We don't have the luxury of putting things off any longer...

Old 11-10-2009, 11:02 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default You call this an improvement?

Quote:
Follow the red line, this is the current recession, Obama became president around month #12. For all of you Obama supporters, does this make the problem more clearer for you?

No, I call it partisan whining and deflection.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:01 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
10.5 months - he took office in January, it's now November.

The libs blame Bush for 9-11 and all that happened and that was when he was in less than 9 months. Can't have it both ways you know.

Bush was warned by several nations He was told something was going to happen with our airplanes. Instead of taking preventative action he chose to protect the inner circle..... there is the difference. One was an event that could have been prevented and no action was taken. it has no bearing that he was in office for 9 months, it matters he was told and chose to do nothing.

The economy is like this massive tanker that takes huge amount of time to get turned around. He has taken quick and decisive actions that will have an impact. if he does some other things he can make some sustainable improvements, otherwise we may see some inflation. No one has all the answers of how to fix the economy. It isn't like stopping a terrorist before boading a plane. There is no right answer. I know we want to think there is but its all guess work. But at least he stepped to the plate and is swinging.

I personally hope he hits a homerun.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:50 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And I know of a few large local companies that have purposely laid people off due to the 'economy', but are still making record profits. It's nothing but an excuse to get rid of workers and make the employees still there work twice as hard and if they slack even a little bit, they threaten to fire. In this economy, many people I know are working 2 or more peoples jobs for their same salary (or less!) just to keep their position.

This economy sucks right now, I know this. But employers are taking advantage of it by forcing their employees to work even harder for less money under the threat of not having their job tomorrow.

As for jobs... I know that where I work the stimulus has DIRECTLY employed many people. Construction is big, they're improving our runway at our county airport with funds from the stimulus. We were planning on waiting a few more years to update our runway and taxiways at the airport, but we were able to do it now because of that government money.

So yes, the stimulus is helping in some areas.
Sounds like the place I work. A major hotel chain which, trust me, is not hurting for business or profit. Yet now one person is doing the job of two or three. Health benefits have been reduced. Reviews are only done once on an annual basis; last year NOBODY got a raise. Security for the hotel has been eliminated; now front desk has to act as security (but we're not allowed to be armed). Newspaper delivery has even been slashed in the name of "going green" (though I was told privately the truth is that the hotel is trying to save money-ha ha pennies compared to millions). Yet guests are still paying $150-$200+ for a room per night.
Don't like how we treat you? Good luck finding a job in Michigan; even McDonalds isn't hiring.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
And why wouldnt we want to focus on Obama? He IS the president after all.

I know, lets do what liberals do and focus on Bush. Look, even you did it in your own posting which is quite humorous..

"Dont look at Obama, lets look at Bush".. Typical, always wanting to point to the other side who has absolutely NO power what so ever to explain your sides failures..
Not only is Obama the president but he has nothing getting in his way, the Congress is democrat, the Senate is democrat. Nothing at all limits Obama from getting things done - except that unemployment is rising and the jobs are still leaving the country at a fast rate.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:14 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
Your kind = American.

It makes no difference to me whether any of you claim to be Republic/Democratic/other.
It's immaterial to me. I could not be bothered to discriminate.
You're American full stop.

And with regard to Obama : he's correct to be spending to stimulate the economy.

You really ought to familiarise yerself with Keynesian economics, and the effects of the 1930's depression and the resolution of same.
I encourage everyone to familiarize themselves with Keynesian economics then run like the wind to avoid his policies.

"Keynes predicted that, as a result of the Versailles Treaty, iron and steel production in Europe would decline. Instead, it rose. He predicted that German pre-war coal output could not be sustained. It was sustained. He predicted that Germany could not export coal. In fact, it did."

"Felix Somary, a Swiss banker, related how Keynes had approached him in the mid-20s for stock recommendations. Somary, who subscribed to the Austrian School of economics, refused to give him any, warning that a speculative bubble was emerging. Keynes confidently replied: "There will be no more crashes in our lifetime." The financial collapse apparently did nothing to dent his self-confidence."
"Once the depression was underway Keynes still hailed the price stabilization scheme that caused it as a "triumph." When it suited him, Keynes' conceit apparently left him unfazed by mere facts."

"In the Preface to the 1936 German language edition of his General Theory, Keynes told his German readers that his theories were much more suited to a totalitarian state, like the one the Nazis had in place, than to a free market."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies