Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is a Civil War, in the United States, possible
Yes. And quite possibly soon (within the next couple of years) 22 16.92%
No. There is no way another Civil War will happen 45 34.62%
Maybe. If enough Americans feel enough freedoms are endangered 53 40.77%
Undecided at this time 10 7.69%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:51 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,630,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I skipped past most of the inter-pages, but IMHO, as regards the OP, I'd have to say YES. There's always a chance that the lazy ones will have had enough and will rise up outa their couchs and protest.

Problem is, we no longer know how to work hard. The innocent folks who endured the last Great Depression did know how to suffer in silence, and to work hard, 7 days a week. They did NOT place unreasonable demands and expectations on their government. Nowadays, we expect it to take care of us. Well, not so much any more. And the more our late-model children experience the easy life, the less they will be willing to go quietly into a dreaded true depression.

They simply have to have their iPhones, their texting, their internet, their easy union-protected jobs, their parent-provided Honda Civics, their own Visa cards from the age of 18.

Now comes absolutely NO jobs, no free food, no job creation programs (building what, exactly?) on the scale of Grand Coulee dam, for instance. All that stuff's been done and overdone. and the American population was only what then? About 60 million?

So OK. Let's say we decide to build a vast network of cross-country highspeed passenger rail systems. Millions of jobs, right? Trillions of dollars come from... from.... China?

And then, who is going to use it afterwards? Only if the fare is free, or you need to go across country often, and have 3 days to do it.

Or perhaps we cover the landscape with wind turbines. Or with solar cells. Or we hand-plant and reap wheat the old fashioned way.

Question: can it be done from my comfy laptop seat? I really don't want to go outside and be cold!

And so then what? We hand all those 100 million kids a shovel and a rake? Nope: it's gotta be done with ultra-modern equipment. So what, again, do these kids do? And what about all those folks in their mid-50s, who anticipated a nice comfortable retirement in ten years, but now they've been laid off by GM, Chrysler, GE, AIG, etc..

Can they go get another job? Even if they do, now making $10/hr instead of the over-protected union jobs at $35/hr plus maximum bennies? AS the cvalue of their scant retirement funds goes quickly downhill with inflation?

Will they go down happily? What happens when the gov'mint starts imposing limitations? No more credit, jobs, unemployment insurance.

Plus, steadily rising taxes. And possibly, some national or international health problems. And mandated government service just to "control" the masses of unemployed young restless men? Obama has already suggested a new National Service Arm. See how it works?

Will we just take it all laying down? As for The National Guard, a study/pool was conducted a few years ago as to whether those boys would fire on their fellow citizens and friends, in their own home town, when all those citizens demand is their Constitutional rights.

The overwhelming answer? They would not. They will not support governmental tyranny.

As well, because of the perceived threat to our Constitutional rights since the elelction of Obama and his henchman Attorney General, the US population is now heavily armed with more AR-15s and surplus AK-47s and 9mm pistols than ever before. That's no longer a unique or rare type of rifle, with Ruger and others selling them as deer rifles now. Hundreds of thousands of veterans have held and used them and they are no longer scary to a majority of the population.

Military ammo is sold out most everywhere. Why is that, do you suppose? Is it a vast and abiding trust in the government or our fellow man? Do you think that any new restrictive or confiscatory legislation banning such firearms will be adhered to? Ever hear of scofflaws?

Civil disobedience flourishes all over this world in 2009, with even more bloody events speculated for the next few years. Anyone willing to state, categorically, that it cannot happen here? That we're too civilized?

Hey; just try to cut off our supply of Golden Crisp cereal or texting or the iMusic Store!

"Run For it, Martha!"
Even if they "Rise Up out of their couches" take their rifles and head off to attack the nearest Post Office, they will be out of breath by the time they get there.

To Arms, To Arms ....an Army of Diabetic Mallwalkers is comming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 02:29 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
Because I believe there are enough people like this man, I doubt it. The extremists would go to war. The rest of use would just watch from the sidelines and carry on after it was over. Just like fights in high school.
That is typically what happens in any conflict...particularly civil wars and revolutions.

Despite what some have said here, historically during our own revolution the population was split pretty much into thirds--1/3 in favor and active in fighting and supporting the split from England; 1/3 against the split and active in fighting and supporting England; and 1/3 on the sidelines trying to avoid getting involved or supporting whichever side seemed to have the upper hand at the time.

It does not take any where near a majority of people to cause a revolution--it is usually a minority that gets it going.

As some have said, a revolution might not be violent, but more likely political. Personally, I have no idea which way it would go, but there have been more signs of states asserting states rights over the last 5-10 years than there has been for decades. It has shown itself in several ways...

Several state legislatures have passed laws asserting that if firearms are manufactured in their state and remain in their state, they are not subject to federal firearm regulations.

Several states have been challenging the federal regulations on marijuana possession laws and medical marijuana laws.

MANY states have passed (some binding, and some non-binding) resolutions stating that they have precedence in many areas and that federal law that they deem outside the scope of the Constitution has no power in their state.

Reminds me of what I have always heard as (supposedly) an old Arabic curse--"May you live in interesting times." Not necessarily a good thing.

These are interesting times.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:35 PM

16 posts, read 41,402 times
BTW,That curse was actually "Chinese" not "Arabic"...just sayin

Old 03-04-2013, 07:36 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,785,144 times
Necro post FTW!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:58 PM

56,959 posts, read 25,922,798 times
Night of the living dead.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:01 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,610,333 times
I don't think so because the vietnam portest where about has big as seen with roits etc. But most people now do not support much i the way of any violence i protest.even. thsi isn;t the 60's and especaily with popuqaltion aging its nopt goig to happen. Always a few nuts ;but nothing serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies