Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Contributing to Social Security be made voluntary
Yes 19 55.88%
No 15 44.12%
Undecided 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:10 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times

Advertisements

What will happen is that Americans will blow the money and wind up on Welfare when they reach 65. Who are you kidding, it will break the economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 12:13 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I don't know how that would be possible. We are not paying social security for ourselves. We are paying for social security for the people who are already on it. If we were to some how opt out, who would pay for the people on SS now? Hey I am all for it, but it just is not possible. I would like to see the age of SS recipients rise to something around 70.
Exactly. You do not technically pay into your own SS, you are paying for other people who are already on it. If you offer the ability to opt out, the wealthiest down to middle class groups are going to be the first to do so, and you lose a significant portion of income for SS. That pretty much destroys the whole concept of a social security system..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
2. What provisions would you recommend for those whose earnings are at or barely above the poverty line?
....How about recommending that they do not opt out of SS is they are barely above the poverty line....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedsnake View Post
Though SS was intended as a supplement to a persons other retirement plans, it has in fact become the primary, if not sole, retirement funding source for far too many people. The program has expanded to include things never originally intended.
Good point.. Most people depend on SS far too much as their sole retirement plan.

In any case, people who want to opt out should have to pass a credit check, that way they do not end up screwing themselves over..

Old 11-09-2009, 12:14 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
What will happen is that Americans will blow the money and wind up on Welfare when they reach 65. Who are you kidding, it will break the economy
Mr Hobbs- please note my use of the word "inviolable" with reference to withdrawals.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:17 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
There are MILLIONS who have opted out of Social Security and what you suggest simply has not been a problem

Old 11-09-2009, 04:06 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I believe it should.

Can we have a civil discussion on the issue?
Sure.

I am probably among the very few that thinks social security is a good (not perfect) program that we need.

I voted no.

The problem with not making it mandatory is there's a large number of people who would opt out when young that are incapable of "taking care of themselves".

The last thing I would want to see in America is a 74 year old grandma living destitute on a sidewalk begging for spare change. If you want to see this then live in Mexico.

We need to remember social security isn't retirement it's a safety net that, while it isn't perfect, works pretty good.

Consider that social security is a lot more than retirement.

A young mother is widowed when her husband is killed in a traffic accident. She receives social security as do her children up to graduating from high school.

True, her husband should have had life insurance and maybe he did for $100k but that isn't enough to last 15 years. Even $250k isn't enough to last 15 years not for a mother and two or three kids with a house mortgage to pay off. Mom pays off the $150k mortgage and the $100k that is left ($90k after she buries her husband) isn't going to last but three or four years if she watches her money.

Everyone's different but three months before your birthday we all get a statement from social security outlining how much you can expect at retirement and how much your children and spouse would receive in the event of your death. Everyone's account is different but if something were to happen to me tomorrow my wife would receive $1490 per month plus $1490 for any children. We don't have children anymore but the thought of my wife receiving $1490 every month allows me to sleep better at night even though I carry a pretty large life insurance policy.

And then there is illness and disability that can happen to any of us. If I couldn't work I would receive $1490 a month and while the only way I could live on that little would be to cut all frills (like internet, phone and cable television) I know we would do a whole lot better with it than without it.

Try purchasing a long term (call it 30 year) disability policy that pays $1490 a month with COLA increases and see what your premiums would be. You can buy one for 24 months but you can't for 10, 20 or 30 years.

With my statement I received what my contributions have been since 1965 and coupled with my employers contribution it's a lot of money. If I had saved as much investing it in a mutual fund I would have over a half million and be able to retire tomorrow but that isn't the point. The point is what would have happened to my wife and children if I was disabled 30 years ago or been killed?

It isn't an retirement investment savings account it's a supplemental income insurance policy and we need to look at everything it offers and not just what we get should we reach 66, 67 or whatever.

It's supplemental income insurance and as with any insurance some people "make out" and some don't. You drive for 40 years, always had auto insurance and never have an accident. Does that mean you "lost out"?

Now for some baring of the soul.

If given the opportunity to opt out in 1982 would I have? In a word, yes. The 80's and 90's were great years for me personally and I was fortunate to earn an income that was two, three and for a few years four times the national average. I did real good, I owned my own business and there was a time writing a check for $100k wouldn't have been a problem.

But things change, circumstances change. Without going into the gory details the business didn't bankrupt but it flopped and went it flopped I pumped a lot of my earned money back into the business in an effort to keep it alive.

Not crying one bit here.... some of it was due to my mistakes and my faults and some was beyond my contro but I was fortunate because for 20 years I had more than most. That is the breaks we all can face. While you might want to opt out now, if you are making the equivalent to $200k to $300k like I was you might be well tempted, but you never know what the future holds.

Ok, that is my baring of my soul but don't anyone feel sorry for me. I had a hell of a good ride with lots of things, toys and good times for many years and what else could a man ask for? Given it all to do over again I would do it exactly the same.

I had a high performance airplane and once I flew 800 miles for a Saturday lunch in New Orleans because I wanted cajan shrimp. Like I said, don't feel sorry for me because I don't. I am still a pilot, I still fly but I fly a little Cessna 150 now. Poor me, poor me.

But for everything I am thankful I have social security and I will get $2400 if I wait to age 70 to retire. I am happy I can count on that.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There are MILLIONS who have opted out of Social Security and what you suggest simply has not been a problem
Source........?

The average American has a negative net worth since the "Financial Sector " stole 40% of the economy. Why would I believe that they have resources for retirement? Not everyone is as all knowing as you

Old 11-09-2009, 04:21 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
iv been paying in forcably for over 40 years and now you want to make it voluntary. why you self centersd greedy $&*%#. next you will force me to buy health ins and then make it voluntary after you have all my money!good grief

Old 11-09-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Mr Hobbs- please note my use of the word "inviolable" with reference to withdrawals.
Withdrawals, .............No Withdrawals it's a wage tax, you get to keep paying it. In fact I want to remove the cap so the rich can pay in too

(congrads on figuring out who Boompa is)

Old 11-09-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Source........?

The average American has a negative net worth since the "Financial Sector " stole 40% of the economy. Why would I believe that they have resources for retirement? Not everyone is as all knowing as you
There are a bunch of us who have opted out of SS and we communicate with one another quite abouit - a "club" like sort of thing - mutual interest.

Now, you can accept it or not - doesn't matter to me one flip. But, it is what it is.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
iv been paying in forcably for over 40 years and now you want to make it voluntary. why you self centersd greedy $&*%#. next you will force me to buy health ins and then make it voluntary after you have all my money!good grief
No - I was asking - the thread was asking, if SS should be VOLUNTARY.

You seem to think, or you seem to have taken the question, to mean that SS would go away. That is not the question at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies