Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 03:35 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncdiamond View Post
because a man is straight although he may have raped 50 woman or murdered a whole family or whatever the case is.. he has the right to marry and even produce children he will never be home to take care of..
Gay men and women certainly have a right to produce children.

I know that marriage is important for some people, but it's not as if being able to get married will make your life perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 07:47 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
So, OP, let's put this thing in perspective.

Which would you rather be?

The straight, death row inmate who has the right to marry or the gay, free man on the outside?

Really, we want to know.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:52 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
I still dont understand the "more rights" argument.

Can someone on death row marry someone of the SAME SEX? NO..

Where do they have "more rights"

Old 11-10-2009, 07:54 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times
Quote:
Does anyone find it odd that People on death row and in prison with no hopes of ever coming home have the right to marry and gays dont??.. Arent they the ones who did something to harm society and have their freedom taking away?? So how is it that they have more rights than homosexuals on the streets that are law abiding, tax paying citizens??
Marriage is not a right

Old 11-10-2009, 08:01 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Quote:
My point is that society acts as if homosexuals being married is the end of the world.. It is a right that we have to actually fight for and yet because a man is straight although he may have raped 50 woman or murdered a whole family or whatever the case is.. he has the right to marry and even produce children he will never be home to take care of.. I am simply making the point that we in the lgbt community are treated as if we and our "lifestyle" is the crime of the century.
May not make a whole lot of sense to those of you who get to marry who you choose.. But to some like myself that are in love and denied that right its something to think about!!
You have no grip on reality. No state in this country allows death row inmates the right to conjugal visits. So if they are having sex it's the same kind your getting.

Quit being jealous. They have sentenced themselves to death by their own actions just like you have. Engage in acts that aren't natural and suffer the consequences.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Does anyone find it odd that People on death row and in prison with no hopes of ever coming home have the right to marry and gays dont??.. Arent they the ones who did something to harm society and have their freedom taking away?? So how is it that they have more rights than homosexuals on the streets that are law abiding, tax paying citizens??
same song, second or is it 4th verse?? Aren't you getting a little tired of this subject? I think there is something you forget here; like it or not, for the time being marriage is only legal between a woman and a man. It has nothing to do with rights...

Nita

Old 11-10-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
They have sentenced themselves to death by their own actions just like you have. Engage in acts that aren't natural and suffer the consequences.
Oh, I'd love to hear more details about this. Please - share more of your thoughts about which acts are "unnatural" and what the consequences will be.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:28 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
You know, for the life of me I can't find marriage in the Bill of Rights. Last I knew all my rights were spelled out there. I guess that means that marriage is not a right (still). Closest I could find was Article 10 where no excessive fine can be imposed. But I think that goes more towards divorce. Sorry if this is also redundant. Tough I guess.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:55 PM

9 posts, read 28,264 times
you know you guys are funny.. i can tell the responses are from a bunch of straight people whom this topic is not important to because they already have this right.. Just like i can imagine the people grumbling at blacks who kept fussing over the right to vote... Yes this subject again and again until i as a gay woman have the right to choose and marry whom i love.. no it may not be important to you because when u find the one u deem right no one will stop you... I really could care less who thinks its immoral or unnatural.. if you feel so strongly, DONT DO IT!! plain and simple but for me it is natural and it is who I am and as a human being, I should not be allowed that right Period!! The point of this thread is not about people on death per say so please stop taking it so literal.. it is simply a point of how obsurd the government is in this whole fiasco of denying gays the right to marry because"marriage is sacred" yet people who have no shot of a true marriage can enter just because of their sex and we cant.. what is more important?? the sanctity of "marriage"" or the sex of the people entering into it????

Old 11-10-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
you know you guys are funny.. i can tell the responses are from a bunch of straight people whom this topic is not important to because they already have this right..
I'm gay. I just think you're placing too much importance on the marriage issue. You sound almost hysterical about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies