Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:47 AM

844 posts, read 1,280,576 times

Advertisements

Are American Libertarians and States Rightists vehement hypocrites?

So called libertarians and 'states rightists' are screaming about Obama taking away their freedoms and rights and guns and SUV's and indoctrinating their kids and sending the government into their lives. They are trying hard to press for succession or some kind of anti-democratic/Obama/MexicanImmigrant/Black/Jewish Revolution.

The obviousness that Obama has shown that he is not willing to change course from anything Bush did, from the patriot act to the 2 wars, seems not to dawn on them. Yet, when one looks deeper into their so called 'personal liberty' crusades, there are several flaws with their timing.

When Bush enacted the PATRIOT ACT, which severely limited personal freedoms and civil liberties, as well as allowed direct government surveillance and intervention into all american lives (not just supposed terrorist...of the thousands of times it has been used, only in 3 cases was it against suspected terrorist), Libertarians and 'States Rightists' were silent.

The the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 14th Amendments where gutted by the Supreme Court, Under Reinquist and Roberts courts, the states righters and libertarians were silent as ever.

When the war in Iraq was declared and pursued, with all its costs in lives and money, the libertarians were silent, and the states rightists were all in support with Bush.

Yet NOW, when a different party is in charge, and a different parties president, who just happens to be of 'half colored descent', the libertarians and states rightists are up in arms again as they were during clinton.

Never mind Clinton continued the policies and ideals of most of Reagan, who continued the ideals of Nixon, and Obama is continuing MOST of the ideals of Bush. Never mind nothing is actually changing, SR's and L's are still rallying as if things are.

Is this not the pinnacle of hypocrisy?

Old 11-10-2009, 12:59 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post

So called libertarians and 'states rightists' are screaming about Obama taking away their freedoms and rights and guns and SUV's and indoctrinating their kids and sending the government into their lives. They are trying hard to press for succession or some kind of anti-democratic/Obama/MexicanImmigrant/Black/Jewish Revolution.

The obviousness that Obama has shown that he is not willing to change course from anything Bush did, from the patriot act to the 2 wars, seems not to dawn on them. Yet, when one looks deeper into their so called 'personal liberty' crusades, there are several flaws with their timing.

When Bush enacted the PATRIOT ACT, which severely limited personal freedoms and civil liberties, as well as allowed direct government surveillance and intervention into all american lives (not just supposed terrorist...of the thousands of times it has been used, only in 3 cases was it against suspected terrorist), Libertarians and 'States Rightists' were silent.

The the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 14th Amendments where gutted by the Supreme Court, Under Reinquist and Roberts courts, the states righters and libertarians were silent as ever.

When the war in Iraq was declared and pursued, with all its costs in lives and money, the libertarians were silent, and the states rightists were all in support with Bush.

Yet NOW, when a different party is in charge, and a different parties president, who just happens to be of 'half colored descent', the libertarians and states rightists are up in arms again as they were during clinton.

Never mind Clinton continued the policies and ideals of most of Reagan, who continued the ideals of Nixon, and Obama is continuing MOST of the ideals of Bush. Never mind nothing is actually changing, SR's and L's are still rallying as if things are.

You obviously don't actually pay attention to the libertarian movement. I was employed by a libertarian organization from the late 90s through the early 00s and I ran in all the libertarian circles. Believe me they had approximately zero love for Bush nor were they silent when the Patriot Act was passed, when the Iraq war was launched, or when the USSC made bonehead rulings.

Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by katzenfreund; 11-10-2009 at 07:07 AM..

Old 11-10-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You obviously don't actually pay attention to the libertarian movement. I was employed by a libertarian organization from the late 90s through the early 00s and I ran in all the libertarian circles. Believe me they had approximately zero love for Bush nor were they silent when the Patriot Act was passed, when the Iraq war was launched, or when the USSC made bonehead rulings.

Yes, Im sure you and every other libertarian from Ron Paul to the CATO institute will swear up and down (now that hes out of office) how much you hated Bush.

But I ask you, where were the protests? Where were the votes against the Patriot Act and the War?

The answer is = The same place you most likely where, being silent and following Bush's lead.

Lets not all pretend no one can remember anythign between 2002 and 2008. Try and search for 'libertarian protest against Bush' or 'Libertarian Tea Party rally against Bush'. YOu wont find anything significant, if anything at all.

The Social Left were the only groups at the helm opposing the liberty reductions of the Bush era. Im sure some libertarians quietly spoke about how they 'disagreed', but considering he took more liberties than anything Obama has actually done so far, and Obama is pretty much relentlessly picketed and Bush was supported, you do not see the double standard there?

How many libertarians vote R and how many vote I? According to the polls, only 20% of Americans consider themselves Republicans, and of the additional 27% that consider themselves independant (which Libertarians are the largest group), less than 1% of all americans actually voted 'libertarian' in the 08,09, even 06 elections.

Do the math. Libertarian is nothing more than a misnomer for 'closeted Republican'.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 11-10-2009 at 07:08 AM..

Old 11-10-2009, 01:09 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Here's some vehemence.

Chow down.

LewRockwell.com

Old 11-10-2009, 01:17 AM

Thats some guys blog site.

A long way from a national news article about protesters in the street. Here is an example

USATODAY.com - About 100,000 anti-war protesters rally in capital

Old 11-10-2009, 01:19 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:

Last edited by katzenfreund; 11-10-2009 at 07:11 AM..

Old 11-10-2009, 04:16 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:

Don't get the term Libertarian mixed up with conservative Republicans who are using it as a buzz word, because conservative republican isn't popular.

Sarah Palin is not a libertarian.

I am, I hated what Bush did to personal liberty, and I was extremely vocal on what kind of mistake Iraq was.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:31 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Yes, Im sure you and every other libertarian from Ron Paul to the CATO institute will swear up and down (now that hes out of office) how much you hated Bush.

But I ask you, where were the protests? Where were the votes against the Patriot Act and the War?

The answer is = The same place you most likely where, being silent and following Bush's lead.

Lets not all pretend no one can remember anythign between 2002 and 2008. Try and search for 'libertarian protest against Bush' or 'Libertarian Tea Party rally against Bush'. YOu wont find anything significant, if anything at all.

The Social Left were the only groups at the helm opposing the liberty reductions of the Bush era. Im sure some libertarians quietly spoke about how they 'disagreed', but considering he took more liberties than anything Obama has actually done so far, and Obama is pretty much relentlessly picketed and Bush was supported, you do not see the double standard there?

How many libertarians vote R and how many vote I? According to the polls, only 20% of Americans consider themselves Republicans, and of the additional 27% that consider themselves independant (which Libertarians are the largest group), less than 1% of all americans actually voted 'libertarian' in the 08,09, even 06 elections.

Do the math. Libertarian is nothing more than a misnomer for 'closeted Republican'.
Ahem. Ron Paul, to use that example, was a prolific writer throughout Bush's presidency, critical of Bush's anti-liberty actions and policies. He was one of the few to actually vote against the Patriot Act. If you had spent any time at libertarian forums back then as I did you would know Bush got no love from us.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:38 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
States Rights are usually just an excuse to deprive someone else of theirs. Anyone recall the States Rights Party and Lester Maddox

Old 11-10-2009, 06:43 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:

I can't speak for either group but just from reading posts here, I know the libertatians weren't silent during the Bush administration. I suppose one of the most well-known libertarians is John Stossel and he was never quiet during the Bush years, either.

I know conservatives were never happy with Bush spending or that he never met a bill he wouldn't sign. Then there was the whole immigration debacle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies