Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 11:50 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Ok fine, then we can all say Daniel Perle, the journalist who got his head lopped off simply got what he deserved. Every journalist or civilian in the region shouldn't expect "big daddy government" to come save them. I gotcha.

I'll be sure to save these series of posts for the next time some journalist or tourist are charged with a crime in say, North Korea, Chechnya, China, or some "Stan" country. Then we can all sit around and talk about how they got what they deserved because they should be there in the first place.
A Jewish journalist with a Jewish surname should NOT have been assigned to Afghanistan/Iraq/Iran -- absolutely not. He was stupid and his superiors were stupid. It is extremely revealing of the absolute ignorance of the left when it comes to Islam's treatment of Jews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner09 View Post
First of all, enough with the bleeding hearts about these dumb ass kids. They are mid east sympathizers that currently lived in the mid east. They knew FULL WELL what the dangers were and ignored them because they thought that if they were sympathizers to their cause, they would not have been harmed in any way. It is complete foolishness and sometimes people need to learn things the hard way. Let them reap what they sow, they have learned a very valuable lesson here, hopefully they listen to the logic of the lesson. I also thought the same for the illegal reporter in NK, it was her own fault also. Perle was a completely different story, he was doing a JOB as others have mentioned, these kids just thought they knew better than the obvious. Maybe now they will think about what they are sympathetic to.
Agree, but I still think Daniel Pearl was foolish and naive as well. Some may say he was aware of the dangers (unlike the stupid hiker brats), but he had a child on the way and should have been thinking more clearly.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:00 PM

587 posts, read 1,466,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
These are liberal kids who think that the world is a place of nothing but lollipops and rainbows. They found out the harsh reality the hard way.

I hate to have to agree with you, but it's so true. I love to travel all over the world and have being doing so for decades, but pistachio fields in Iran or Iraq or wherever the hell they thought they were in?

Old 09-10-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well these hikers were at fault for crossing the border, Iran didn't make them do this. They made a mistake as often humans do, I'm not suggesting we cast them aside because they were liberal or conservative, or what their beliefs are. If they are American citizens, then I would hope the United States would do whatever it can to get them back unharmed.

Last I checked, Iraq has been in a state of utter upheaval for the past 20 years and in a state of war and occupation for at least 9 of the past 20 years. I think that constitutes a war ravaged nation. The fact that it shares a contentious border with Iran, a nation seen as public enemy #1 to the United States, I would think any adult would exercise great caution to even be in the vicinity. So for people to go hiking in such a region alone, well I think it is rather foolish personally.

I do find it down right disgusting to see the view that because these people are being described as "left-wing" that people would suggest their own countrymen be left to rot. Then to adjoin with those we see as enemies to denounce our own people because they hold a different political view is beyond disgust, its shameful.

No, our lack of sympathy is NOT because they hold a different political view from us. That is absurd as well as wicked. Rather it is because these kids, as far as we have been told, were typical leftist kids with anti-US sentiments and sympathies with the Middle Eastern Muslim countries. No doubt they made excuses for all the Islamic terrorism as SO MANY leftists do (especially here on CD). Now they are getting a close up and personal look at the sadistic barbarians they championed. I think that's justice, don't you?? I don't want to see them harmed, tortured, or murdered, but I also do not want to see a single hair on the head of our soldiers harmed in an effort to rescue these fools. Sometimes you just have to live with your stupidity. That's life.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:38 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post

No, our lack of sympathy is NOT because they hold a different political view from us. That is absurd as well as wicked. Rather it is because these kids, as far as we have been told, were typical leftist kids with anti-US sentiments and sympathies with the Middle Eastern Muslim countries. No doubt they made excuses for all the Islamic terrorism as SO MANY leftists do (especially here on CD). Now they are getting a close up and personal look at the sadistic barbarians they championed. I think that's justice, don't you?? I don't want to see them harmed, tortured, or murdered, but I also do not want to see a single hair on the head of our soldiers harmed in an effort to rescue these fools. Sometimes you just have to live with your stupidity. That's life.
Oh yes, people -- no wait, make that "typical leftists" -- should be imprisoned by "sadistic barbarians" because they were "stupid," and "justice" will have been served.

Outrageous.

Iran cancels planned release of American hiker - CNN.com

I feel so sorry for this young lady's parents.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:18 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
These are liberal kids who think that the world is a place of nothing but lollipops and rainbows. They found out the harsh reality the hard way.
I'm not sure why being liberal would make somebody think the world is full of lollipops and rainbows. Especially if they are activists - then they must know that the world is full of injustices.

Last edited by miyu; 09-11-2010 at 05:31 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 09:34 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
"Iranian authorities released American Sarah Shourd on Tuesday from the Iranian prison where she has been held since July 2009, her lawyer told CNN.

"Masoud Shafii said he was with Shourd when she was released from Evin Prison and that bail had been posted.

. . .

""We decided to set her free with a $500,000 bail out.... It was paid in Muscat. She can leave Iran if she wants to," Dolatabadi said."

Iran releases American hiker, lawyer says - CNN.com

So basically they charged a half million dollar ransom for her release.

I hope it's not too late for her survival, though. . .

"Shourd had a pre-existing gynecological problem, and her family says she now also has a lump in her breast, according to Shafii."

Old 09-14-2010, 09:55 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
"Iranian authorities released American Sarah Shourd on Tuesday from the Iranian prison where she has been held since July 2009, her lawyer told CNN.

"Masoud Shafii said he was with Shourd when she was released from Evin Prison and that bail had been posted.

. . .

""We decided to set her free with a $500,000 bail out.... It was paid in Muscat. She can leave Iran if she wants to," Dolatabadi said."

Iran releases American hiker, lawyer says - CNN.com

So basically they charged a half million dollar ransom for her release.

I hope it's not too late for her survival, though. . .

"Shourd had a pre-existing gynecological problem, and her family says she now also has a lump in her breast, according to Shafii."
I'm happy for her release, but I bet you any amount of money that her outlook on Islam has changed forever.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:08 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default About Those Hikers Charged With Spying In Iran

I dunno...

Kinda seems to me that anyone thinking that a "hike" along the border separating Iraq and Iran sounds like a good adventure should allot some time for sitting in an Iranian prison to give them an opportunity to gain a better perspective on things.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:12 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I must admit that I have not kept up with this story. But, I noticed that two are 27 years old and one is 31. What do they do for a living?

Maybe it's me. I'm not a hiker but forget about Iran for a minute, what's the appeal of hiking in Iraq? Do Iraqis even hike in Iraq? You know, I'm not talking about people who have to walk a long distance to get where they are going but people who make it a hobby to walk long distances in Iraq considering the temperature, the war and not much to see except a lot of sand once you are out of the towns. See, I'm not saying visiting northern Iraq is crazy. I'm saying hiking there is crazy.

Now, I know the news reports are saying they are friends from Berkley like that explains the nuttiness of it but they're old, not college student age, so I have to hear it from a hiker - what would be the appeal of hiking in Iraq?

I personally would like to see them reimburse the government for the expense of correcting their doofus act if and when they are released.

And as an aside, unrelated to the hikers, maybe we should hire Iranians to guard our border since they seem to be a heck of a lot better at border guarding than we are.
Good questions. I've wondered about them (and their motives) as well. Why would anyone want to hike in Iraq?
I wonder if anyone remembers the months before America invaded Afghanistan. The news reported of two American women (on 'aid' mission in Afghan) that were in danger of being beheaded by the Taliban because these women preached about Jesus.
Could it be that such stories are invented to prepare the American public by creating contempt and animosity toward the yet to be invaded nation?
What is needed? Photos of the people and a story. How easy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies