Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 03:23 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Come one Church you seriously cannot suggest that Hansen is even close to being sane.

much less an objective scientist.
Duh, just because a scientist is an active climate change protester who gets arrested doesn't mean he's not objective. Just like how an MD who protests abortions is also objective about the topic. Besides, he has a Ph. D. and is published, so don't you DARE question his objectivity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 03:33 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Duh, just because a scientist is an active climate change protester who gets arrested doesn't mean he's not objective. Just like how an MD who protests abortions is also objective about the topic. Besides, he has a Ph. D. and is published, so don't you DARE question his objectivity!
I'm sure it will shake Dr. Hansen to the core to know that some bloggers on C-D don't agree with him, but his scientific colleges have no such reservations:
  • elected to the National Academy of Science
  • Dan David Prize for "achievements having an outstanding scientific, technological, cultural or social impact on our world"
  • Heinz Award in the Environment
  • AAAS Award for Scientific Freedom and Responsibility
  • Carl-Gustaf Rossby Research Medal from AMS

Old 11-10-2009, 07:28 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
In south Florida we had the hottest October ever. The greater the difference in temps from the tropics to the temperate region means a fun hurricane season ahead!!

Old 11-10-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I'm sure it will shake Dr. Hansen to the core to know that some bloggers on C-D don't agree with him, but his scientific colleges have no such reservations:
  • elected to the National Academy of Science
  • Dan David Prize for "achievements having an outstanding scientific, technological, cultural or social impact on our world"
  • Heinz Award in the Environment
  • AAAS Award for Scientific Freedom and Responsibility
  • Carl-Gustaf Rossby Research Medal from AMS
Like I said, when someone questions a person's objectivity in climate science, they tend to get a list of degrees and awards instead of an actual rebuttal that demonstrates where their objectivity is sound. I'm very pleased that my area of study doesn't hinder one's academic progress if they question the "consensus".

Old 11-10-2009, 07:43 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Like I said, when someone questions a person's objectivity in climate science, they tend to get a list of degrees and awards instead of an actual rebuttal that demonstrates where their objectivity is sound. I'm very pleased that my area of study doesn't hinder one's academic progress if they question the "consensus".
Let me know in 20 years if your dissertation has held up as well as Jim Hansen's.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Let me know in 20 years if your dissertation has held up as well as Jim Hansen's.
Actually, my advisor has published far more than "Dr." Hansen. Oh, and he's gotten more funding too, maybe because our work actually produces real value to organizations.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
are you Moderator cut: languagekidding me. You going to be that freaking ignorant toModerator cut: rude deny global warming? Do people on here have a brain and the capacity to think for themselves?

How many damn scientists does it take to prove this to you? or do you not believe science?

I also guess you think oil will last forever and coal is clean right?
you must be new here, and must not have seen the countless global warming threads started by this poster. I mean, many, many threads started by the same person, almost always with a subject like "it's snowing! bet you global warming people feel like idiots now". If only they realized how ignorant it sounds! I'm betting Tony and/or Claire works for big oil.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:09 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
you must be new here, and must not have seen the countless global warming threads started by this poster. I mean, many, many threads started by the same person, almost always with a subject like "it's snowing! bet you global warming people feel like idiots now". If only they realized how ignorant it sounds! I'm betting Tony and/or Claire works for big oil.
You can always can count on the OP for a weekly Golbal Warming/Climate Change denial thread that is totally off the wall.

Big oil's big lie

Almost without exception, the scientists who claim to doubt that manmade climate change is taking place fall into two categories: either they are not qualified in the branch of science they are discussing or they have received money from fossil fuel companies. Of all the self-professed climate "sceptics", I have been able to find only one – Dr John Christy of the University of Alabama – who has relevant qualifications and who does not appear to have received fees from lobby groups or thinktanks sponsored by the energy companies. But even he has had to admit that the figures on which he based his claims were the results of "errors in the … data".

The others are the very opposite of sceptics. Many of them are paid to start with a conclusion – that climate change isn't happening or isn't important – then to find data and arguments to support it. In most cases, they cherrypick scientific findings; in a few cases, like the fake scientific paper attached to the celebrated Oregon petition, they make them up altogether. But people who don't understand the difference between a peer-reviewed paper and a pamphlet are taken in. The energy companies' propaganda campaign is amplified by scientific illiterates in the media, such as Melanie Phillips, Christopher Booker, Nigel Lawson, Alexander Cockburn and the television producer (who made Channel 4's documentary The Great Global Warming Swindle) Martin Durkin.

George Monbiot: Prosecuting energy chiefs won't solve global warming | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Old 11-10-2009, 08:48 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
are you Moderator cut: languagekidding me. You going to be that freaking ignorant toModerator cut: rude deny global warming? Do people on here have a brain and the capacity to think for themselves?

How many damn scientists does it take to prove this to you? or do you not believe science?

I also guess you think oil will last forever and coal is clean right?
He posts a climate change denial thread a couple times a week, pay him no mind

Old 11-10-2009, 09:38 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
In south Florida we had the hottest October ever. The greater the difference in temps from the tropics to the temperate region means a fun hurricane season ahead!!
>>> Hurricane season is nearly over and it was a fun one, fun meaning non existant. Let's hope Florida keeps having more fun hurricane seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies