Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Eating Meat Products and Wearing Fur Inhuman and should it be stopped?
Yes - eating meat and wear fur is inhumane and should be stopped 3 5.36%
No - neither practice is inhumane. Animals were put on earth for these purposes 29 51.79%
Divided - Eating Meat is fine - Wearing Furs should be stopped 22 39.29%
Undecided at this time 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:57 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,476,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let's me be bluntly honest here: You say I SHOULD NOT BE FREE...

Raising animals for food and FUR and LEATHER is perfectly legal. Your opinion that I should not be able to do so is, with due respect, MEANINGLESS. Again, it IS legal. AND, Millions of people all over the World wear fur - for a lot of different reasons. AND, it is not up to YOU to decide if someone could, should wear furs.
That's the most naive thing I've read in a long time.

First of all, just because something is LEGAL, doesn't make it RIGHT. And plenty of things were legal before it became clear that they needed to be ILLEGAL.

Secondly, and more importantly, animal cruelty IS a FELONY. The fact that it is committed by corporations and institutions does not make it any more legal. Just because they are getting away with it, doesn't make it right, and it doesn't mean they always will.

So, you may as well start weaning yourself off your animal carcass addiction now, because in the not-too-distant future, you won't be able to get your hands on ANY.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:06 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,541,383 times
I eat steak, and so does my dog. I wear leather shoes. Got a pair of shearling boots 'cause they're warm and comfy. I would never wear fur as a "fashion statement". Don't give a shyte about fashion.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:07 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,568,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
That's the most naive thing I've read in a long time.

First of all, just because something is LEGAL, doesn't make it RIGHT. And plenty of things were legal before it became clear that they needed to be ILLEGAL.

Secondly, and more importantly, animal cruelty IS a FELONY. The fact that it is committed by corporations and institutions does not make it any more legal. Just because they are getting away with it, doesn't make it right, and it doesn't mean they always will.

So, you may as well start weaning yourself off your animal carcass addiction now, because in the not-too-distant future, you won't be able to get your hands on ANY.
I was not aware that animal cruelty is a felony. I really did not.

Then why are all these celebs and corporations not getting charged with felonies?

Old 11-10-2009, 09:11 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,241,826 times
Quote:

Harvesting animals for fur and pelts has been, is, and will remain, legal - in the United States and the entire world.\

I love my Leather Car Seats, Leather shoes, Leather Motorcycle Jackets, Leather Saddles for our horses, etc.

So, your overly dramatic and totally unrealistic statements aside, those people, all over the world, who want to purchase and wear Leather and Fur are in NO DANGER whatsoever of being denied that RIGHT.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

Then why are all these celebs and corporations not getting charged with felonies?

That is a VERY good question.

It seems like prosecutors are much more interested in plea bargains when it comes to celebrities, than they are in justice.

Even with Michael Vick - He committed MULTIPLE felonies by personally torturing and murdering innocent animals, however, "the nation's most notorious dogfighter pled "not guilty" to animal cruelty charges -- charges that were eventually dropped in a plea bargain -- and he was convicted only of bankrolling a dogfighting conspiracy, for which he served 18 months in prison before being welcomed back to the public spotlight."

Read more: Michael Vick's unpaid dues: Why dog advocates aren't moving on

And yet, regular citizens committing even one act of animal cruelty often face up to 10 years in jail.

The same is true for crimes against human beings. A football player kills a woman while driving drunk? Probation. An regular person does it? Decades in jail.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Harvesting animals for fur and pelts has been, is, and will remain, legal - in the United States and the entire world.\

I love my Leather Car Seats, Leather shoes, Leather Motorcycle Jackets, Leather Saddles for our horses, etc.

So, your overly dramatic and totally unrealistic statements aside, those people, all over the world, who want to purchase and wear Leather and Fur are in NO DANGER whatsoever of being denied that RIGHT.
I laugh in your general direction.

I can find laws that are on the books RIGHT now that disagree with you.

And hey, abortion is MY right and it is PERFECTLY legal.

Women will NEVER be denied THAT right, my dear.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Because, harvesting Animals for their Hides, Fur, Meat is NOT ILLEGAL as another poster is trying to assert.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:

Women will NEVER be DENIED THAT right.
Nope - I'm right - in as much as Meat will remain LEGAL - killing the cows will remain legal - harvesting the hide for leather will remain legal etc

OBTW - Abortion will remain legal - but, limitations on abortions will, and are, happening such as waiting periods

Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,568,096 times
Quote:

Women will NEVER be denied THAT right, my dear.
You go, girl!

Excellent point!

You know, I love your posts. You are 100 percent right. Abortion is a right for women and it will STAY that way.

Friend request coming your way.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
You go, girl!

Excellent point!

You know, I love your posts. You are 100 percent right. Abortion is a right for women and it will STAY that way.

Friend request coming your way.
Ditto, Darlin'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.