Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:42 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Yes, but only after they make a couple hundred thousand in campaign donations in order to secure a presidential pardon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 10:38 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,462,974 times
with the small number of voters now days, I feel some may see it as a "chore", to be put off.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:40 AM

238 posts, read 766,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Should a convicted felon be allowed to vote?

No, but then, it's not for me to say.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:29 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade_word View Post
No, but then, it's not for me to say.
Which is a good thing it isn't up to you...

Old 11-14-2009, 10:24 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Should a convicted felon be allowed to vote?
Unless that felony was treason, sure, after they have served their sentence and successfully completed their probation. Why not?

Old 11-14-2009, 11:11 AM

I never thought I would say this. But with today's political climate, I can see a situation where an act against the gubment, that would traditionally be deemed as "treasonous" by some, could be viewed as Patriotic by others.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Unless that felony was treason, sure, after they have served their sentence and successfully completed their probation. Why not?

Only 30 people have ever been tried for treason in the history if the US, and only eleven convicted, the last one in 1952. So whether or not they get to vote is hardly worth making an exception.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-14-2009 at 01:12 PM..

Old 11-14-2009, 02:54 PM

Maybe those than can vote, should be required to do so.---Or maybe not.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:19 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
I don't really understand what the argument is for not allowing convicts to vote. Is it supposed to be ongoing punishment? Is it thought that convicts' votes could lead to the overthrow of the government? That they are more susceptible to undue influencing or corruption than the average citizen?

AFAIK, the laws against convicts voting have been in place for quite some time, if not since the beginning of our country. The idea of punishment proportional to the crime has been in place for quite some time. The idea of extended punishment beyond the sentence (like parole and probation) has been around for a while, but it is still proportional to the original sentence. The idea of a life-long punishment regardless of the crime or original sentence is a fairly new idea (sex-offender registries, 3 strikes laws). Yet the lifelong ban on convicts voting is more in line with these more recent criminal justice concepts.

All those thoughts aside, I really just don't see what effect it has. The loss of the right to vote is certainly not a deterrent to crime.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I don't really understand what the argument is for not allowing convicts to vote. Is it supposed to be ongoing punishment? Is it thought that convicts' votes could lead to the overthrow of the government? That they are more susceptible to undue influencing or corruption than the average citizen?

AFAIK, the laws against convicts voting have been in place for quite some time, if not since the beginning of our country. The idea of punishment proportional to the crime has been in place for quite some time. The idea of extended punishment beyond the sentence (like parole and probation) has been around for a while, but it is still proportional to the original sentence. The idea of a life-long punishment regardless of the crime or original sentence is a fairly new idea (sex-offender registries, 3 strikes laws). Yet the lifelong ban on convicts voting is more in line with these more recent criminal justice concepts.

All those thoughts aside, I really just don't see what effect it has. The loss of the right to vote is certainly not a deterrent to crime.
Nothin is. Just look around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies