Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:44 AM

548 posts, read 1,249,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Race does not exist biologically; invention of White Supremacy. Judging race by skull(negroid, Caucasoid, and Mongoloid) is about as unreal as Santa Claus. A bunch of outdated 19th century terms. Since we are conditioned to play this game call the "concept of Race", then by the social contruct, Siclians/Italians are considered white/Caucasion. I think the reason why Italians/Siclians and other Latin Europeans and Arabs(caucasion by census) are consider white( or Caucasion) is for political reasons so the "white race" can remain as the majority of the population in America. They weren't always consider white, at first only Anglo Saxons were socially seen as white people in America. Arabs are still socially not viewed as white people, but they are considered Caucasion on the census bureau.

great post

Old 11-12-2009, 09:07 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,573,566 times
This thread should go in a new forum, elementary kids and their cute little questions.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:29 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,940,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
In Italy/Sicily, my bf told me that they don't call themselves white, but Italian or Sicilian. He said that when they come her they are almost coerced into picking a color. His true identity is Sicilian, but he had to identify himself as a generic category such as white. Why?
It's b/c of the racism that is endemic in the US. whites are the dominant race and those ppl who choose want less problems in this country, so they pick "white".

Old 11-12-2009, 09:32 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,840,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
It's b/c of the racism that is endemic in the US. whites are the dominant race and those ppl who choose want less problems in this country, so they pick "white".

There's nothing to choose from. You are what you are.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:31 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,395,254 times
Quote:
I'm dead serious, what is the definition of white?
I think Darwin discussed it in one of his works. When I was a kid my mom bought for us a Time series of books. One had to do with Evolution, in it, I remember, a chart showing all the races and sub races.

I believe "white" is a racist term to discern whites from blacks, asians, hispanics, etc. Personally, I look at it as an identifier. In many people's minds, one can be of mixed linage and still considered black, asian or hispanic. But to be "white" you must be non-mixed. Makes sense to me.

Race is required on employment applications for statistical purposes, in case nobody has answered that.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:30 PM

4,883 posts, read 3,333,266 times
Generally, they look white. But some of them do look very non-white like a latin Mestizo or Arabic.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:35 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,620,719 times
Quote:
In Italy/Sicily, my bf told me that they don't call themselves white, but Italian or Sicilian. He said that when they come her they are almost coerced into picking a color. His true identity is Sicilian, but he had to identify himself as a generic category such as white. Why?
I think your BF is either confused or having fun with you

Old 11-26-2009, 09:34 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,550,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
I think Darwin discussed it in one of his works. When I was a kid my mom bought for us a Time series of books. One had to do with Evolution, in it, I remember, a chart showing all the races and sub races.

I believe "white" is a racist term to discern whites from blacks, asians, hispanics, etc. Personally, I look at it as an identifier. In many people's minds, one can be of mixed linage and still considered black, asian or hispanic. But to be "white" you must be non-mixed. Makes sense to me.

Race is required on employment applications for statistical purposes, in case nobody has answered that.

Actually, you are not required to answer any question regarding race on an employment application.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:37 AM

983 posts, read 3,590,321 times
Smile -oid

Quote:
Because White, just like Black, Latino, and Asian, is a generic term that encompasses various ethnicities and "races" (in the sense of physical features).
I've been to Italy, Spain, and Greece and a lot of Italians and Spaniards could easily pass as Indonesians. I've had the chance of asking a good number of Spaniards who could pass as Indonesians if they had any recent Asian ancestry, but practically all of them were 100% Spanish. The last ones I asked came from Asturias in northern Spain, and I honestly thought they'd have some Asian ancestry.

Those of you who still think the "old world" is easily separated into negroid, caucasoid, and mongoloid. What "-oid" do you think these people belong to?

Or a much better suggestion: Travel to those countries, or other countries in Southeast, South, Central, West, North Asia, northern, eastern, southern Africa, Australia, southern Japan, western China, and see for yourself how the people physically look like, and see if you can neatly put them in a box of "-oid".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Ethnicity, culture, and race based on physical characteristics are very closely intertwined.
Theoretically you could separate race and ethnicity (e.g. in the census), but that doesn't work in real life.
Even in the census you encounter all sorts of doubts, like Asians who physically are Black or Caucasian, although they're "100%" Asian. This shows how the so called Asian race is inseparable from ethnicity or culture. And then you also have native Europeans who physically look Asian (I've met a number of native Poles, Hungarians, and Greeks who do) or Black. There are also enough Africans (and African-Americans) who look Caucasian or Asian.
One thing that one forgets is that based solely on physical characteristics you often have these different races within one family or an extended family. I know an Indonesian family who has three kids. The eldest one looks Black with dark skin and black curly hair, her younger siblings are twins, a brother and a sister. He looks Asian with "the eyes" and dark brown wavy hair, whereas she looks Caucasian with light skin and straight dark brown hair. And I'm omitting other physical characteristics such as the shape/form of the nose, lips, hair distribution and density, protrusion of the brow ridge, cheek bones, eye color, stature, fat distribution, and a host of other features.
These cases are common all over the "old world" including Southeast, South, Central (including western China), West Asia, Oceania, Africa (Malagasy people of Madagascar are closer to Hawaiians than to Black Chadians, a lot of Bushmen in southern Africa look more like Asians), Russia, etc. Those Poles that are physically Asian probably have siblings or family who are Caucasian.
Are those people supposed to check different races in spite of them being in the same family?
Are these twins now supposed to check different races?
[Open the original post to see the picture]

Those Indonesian family I know would still consider themselves Asian because they're 100% Indonesian. Thus their race is based on their ethnicity or culture.
There are numerous Blacks who physically are White or Asian, yet consider themselves 100% Black. Again, their race is based on culture and ethnicity.
You also have Middle Easterners and Russians who are physically White yet don't consider themselves White at all (Don't forget that their siblings may look Black or Asian).
Basically what you call "race" in America is a mélange of race based on physical characteristics, ethnicity and culture. One may theoretically separate race and ethnicity and culture like in the census but that does not correspond to real life. This also explains why people continue considering Latino a race no matter how much education they have. I personally understand both sides. Those who say that Latino is not a race and those who treat Latino as a race. It is no wonder seeing how inseparably related race, ethnicity and culture are.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:43 AM

983 posts, read 3,590,321 times
Default Italian & SE Asian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Because White, just like Black, Latino, and Asian, is a generic term that encompasses various ethnicities and "races" (in the sense of physical features).
I've been to Italy, Spain, and Greece and a lot of Italians and Spaniards could easily pass as SE Asians.

Those of you who still think the "old world" is easily separated into negroid, caucasoid, and mongoloid. What "-oid" do you think these people belong to?

Or a much better suggestion: Travel to those countries, or other countries in Southeast, South, Central, West, North Asia, northern, eastern, southern Africa, Australia, southern Japan, western China, and see for yourself how the people physically look like, and see if you can neatly put them in a box of "-oid".
These models below are just some examples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I've always wondered about this myself, especially after seeing pictures of some Italian models:
*Giorgia Palmas
*Elisabetta Gregoraci
*Sabrina Ferilli
*Fracesca Lodo

(google the names to check the pictures)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies