Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:06 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Is it possible he's trying to insulate himself from being ousted from the RNC job? Not that I would think a politician has ulterior motives but when Michael Steele was running for office in Maryland, it was Democrats who threw oreo cookies at him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 07:07 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
He said this about a month or two ago when he came to AR.

I wouldn't say the GOP is afraid of blacks but they aren't very welcoming.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:15 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Is it possible he's trying to insulate himself from being ousted from the RNC job? Not that I would think a politician has ulterior motives but when Michael Steele was running for office in Maryland, it was Democrats who threw oreo cookies at him.
Are you telling me the elitist liberals are racist pigs? Well I already knew that. Thank you.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:08 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Are you telling me the elitist liberals are racist pigs? Well I already knew that. Thank you.
No, I don't think that is what purple is saying, though I will let him or her (I think her) correct me if I'm wrong. I think what purple is saying is that in AZ, and in response to Laura saying that in MD the Dems said Steele was an oreo--which means "black on the outside and white on the inside"--Steele had the experiences he describes in the OP's clip. What I see here mostly is some people trying to talk about stuff while other people call people names like "racist pigs." I think most people, including me, would like to see a higher level of discourse where people listen to each other without calling names.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:02 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times
To those who disagree with Steele.

In the past 30 years how many republicans have you seen in Harlem trying to appeal to voters there?

Old 11-12-2009, 10:27 AM

921 posts, read 1,132,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I realize Steel is a Republican with a deck of race cars.
Steele is just adding to the deck because republicans were playing race cards for years.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:38 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,536,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I realize Steel is a Republican with a deck of race cars.

we tried to tell you guys Steel is a idiot

Old 11-12-2009, 10:41 AM

301 posts, read 208,531 times
I have no love for Steele but he was telling the truth, no race card needed. He should've consulted Colin Powell before committing such a sin as telling the truth about the GOP. He would've known, he would be immediately torn down and called a racist/baiter/card puller by his fellow covertly tolerent republicans.

I'll steal a line from Dennis Greene, The GOP "they are what we thought they were"..

Old 11-12-2009, 10:42 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
No, I don't think that is what purple is saying, though I will let him or her (I think her) correct me if I'm wrong. I think what purple is saying is that in AZ, and in response to Laura saying that in MD the Dems said Steele was an oreo--which means "black on the outside and white on the inside"--Steele had the experiences he describes in the OP's clip. What I see here mostly is some people trying to talk about stuff while other people call people names like "racist pigs." I think most people, including me, would like to see a higher level of discourse where people listen to each other without calling names.
So you will defend the people throwing Oreos at Michael Steele but when I call them what they are you attack me?

I think most people including me do not need Mother goose telling other people what level of discourse is the accepted level.

Move along now. Thank you.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:02 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
So you will defend the people throwing Oreos at Michael Steele but when I call them what they are you attack me?

I think most people including me do not need Mother goose telling other people what level of discourse is the accepted level.

Move along now. Thank you.
I really wasn't talking to you in particular. I was just saying that calling the people you are talking to "racist pigs" probably is not a good persuasive strategy. If that is your idea of productive discourse, then that is fine with me. Outside of the minimal level of effort that it takes me to make this posting, I really don't care whether you call people names or not. I just think it's not going to get you very far, and since this is a public forum, I can say whatever I want in whatever way I think I should. That is all.

Last edited by diva360; 11-12-2009 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: there's no excuse for comma abuse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies