Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 11:57 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,764,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I call BS

we pay more to welfare/medicaid than to the military
we pay more to medicare/ social sectuiety than to the military

military budget 600 billion (653 to be exact)(obama's budget that was just passed and includes the iraq/afigan wars in it is 680)......medicaide/medicare budget 700 billion...total current us budget nearly 4 trillion......

so just how is 600 billion , 51% of 4 trillion our current budget
just how is 600 billion, 51% of 2.8 trillion (the amount of taxes the IRS took in last year)

game, set, and match

you are a LIAR

Please look at all the numbers my friend. you are isolating small portions of defense funding.

The Federal Pie Chart

[SIZE=2]Current Military
$965 billion:
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]
• Military Personnel $129 billion
• Operation & Maint. $241 billion
• Procurement $143 billion
• Research & Dev. $79 billion
• Construction $15 billion
• Family Housing $3 billion
• DoD misc. $4 billion
• Retired Pay $70 billion
• DoE nuclear weapons $17 billion
• NASA (50%) $9 billion
• International Security $9 billion
• Homeland Secur. (military) $35 billion
• State Dept. (partial) $6 billion
• other military (non-DoD) $5 billion
“Global War on Terror” $200 billion [We added $162 billion to the last item to supplement the Budget’s grossly underestimated $38 billion in “allowances” to be spent in 2009 for the “War on Terror,” which includes the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Past Military,
$484 billion:

[SIZE=1]• Veterans’ Benefits $94 billion
• Interest on national debt (80%) created by military spending, $390 billion [/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Human Resources
$789 billion:
[SIZE=1]
• Health/Human Services
• Soc. Sec. Administration
• Education Dept.
• Food/Nutrition programs
• Housing & Urban Dev.
• Labor Dept.
• other human resources.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]General Government
$304 billion:
[SIZE=1]
• Interest on debt (20%)
• Treasury
• Government personnel
• Justice Dept.
• State Dept.
• Homeland Security (15%)
• International Affairs
• NASA (50%)
• Judicial
• Legislative
• other general govt.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Physical Resources
$117 billion
:[SIZE=1]
• Agriculture
• Interior
• Transportation
• Homeland Security (15%)
• HUD
• Commerce
• Energy (non-military)
• Environmental Protection
• Nat. Science Fdtn.
• Army Corps Engineers
� Fed. Comm. Commission
• other physical resources[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Total Outlays (Federal Funds): $2,650 billion[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]
MILITARY: 54% and $1,449 billion
NON-MILITARY: 46% and $1,210 billion [/SIZE]
HOW THESE FIGURES WERE DETERMINED
[SIZE=3]urrent military” includes Dept. of Defense ($653 billion), the military portion from other departments ($150 billion), and an additional $162 billion to supplement the Budget’s misleading and vast underestimate of only $38 billion for the “war on terror.” “Past military” represents veterans’ benefits plus 80% of the interest on the debt.* [/SIZE]
The Government Deception
[SIZE=2]The pie chart below is the government view of the budget. This is a distortion of how our income tax dollars are spent because it includes Trust Funds (e.g., Social Security), and the expenses of past military spending are not distinguished from nonmilitary spending. For a more accurate representation of how your Federal income tax dollar is really spent, see the large chart (top). [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Source: Congressional Budget Office for FY2008[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]These figures are from an analysis of detailed tables in the “Analytical Perspectives” book of the Budget of the United States Government, Fiscal Year 2009. The figures are federal funds, which do not include trust funds — such as Social Security — that are raised and spent separately from income taxes. What you pay (or don’t pay) by April 15, 2008, goes to the federal funds portion of the budget. The government practice of combining trust and federal funds began during the Vietnam War, thus making the human needs portion of the budget seem larger and the military portion smaller. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]*Analysts differ on how much of the debt stems from the military; other groups estimate 50% to 60%. We use 80% because we believe if there had been no military spending most (if not all) of the national debt would have been eliminated. For further explanation, please see box at bottom of page[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 11:58 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,200,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
yes facts from yahoo answers hahaha.

you miss the issue of the people with insurance getting denied care or being cut off.

yes illegal immigrants are just taking all our healtcare.

read the harvard study about 45,000 dead people a year due to no insurance. You fail to realize that those percentages only tell one side.

Try considering that people cannot get insured due to pre-existing conditions kinda ruins your numbers huh?
No, it doesn't. I'm not going to do your homework for you. Go do some research at the Census Bureau site and see for yourself. My senator gave us the same numbers at his town hall meeting, as I said in my post. Those figures are valid.

And what's with your claim about "people with insurance getting denied care or being cut off"? A lack of proofreading your own post? Some real supporting facts, please.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:58 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,744,174 times
Quote:
you have a right to quit. You will still get paid for your labor.

If food is a right as stated before than I believe I can, it's called farmers.

How about safety by police officers or is that a privilege for the wealthy only also?

You are quite right I have a right to quit. What will happwn is a small percentage will do just that. But the bigger problem is the future, the best and brightest will not be inclined to go into medicine they will take their talents eleswhere and the quality of our healthcare will decline.

Here is an imperfect analogy. Do you know the Canadian fim industry higjly regulates what actors can be paid? No suppose The US regulated actors pay and Canda didn't. What do you suppose would happen to the US film industry?

Please tell me why you believe food is a "right"? It simply isn't.

No one has a right to police officers as a society we have determined that certain funtions are best handled by the government. They are very few and law enforcement is one of those.

People pay market rate for food. The government does not dictate reimbursement as they do in healthcare.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
O - people from both sides of the argument are going to manufacture statistics. The people who actually work in the field and know the patients will tell you many of them can afford health care and choose not to buy it. It's no fun, it's no instant gratification, and they'd rather buy beer and cigs. And illegals do abuse the system constantly. But that's just my experience in 11 years of front-line health care. What do I know?

my wife has been a frontline provider since she was 28 an whole heartedly supports a single payer system. the only insurance that pays without being fought is medicare and medicaid

Old 11-12-2009, 12:01 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,200,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
O - people from both sides of the argument are going to manufacture statistics. The people who actually work in the field and know the patients will tell you many of them can afford health care and choose not to buy it. It's no fun, it's no instant gratification, and they'd rather buy beer and cigs. And illegals do abuse the system constantly. But that's just my experience in 11 years of front-line health care. What do I know?
I was a nurse for 44 years, the last 28 as a dialysis nurse. We had scores, if not hundreds, of illegal aliens receiving long term dialysis in the units in which I worked. Some of them even got transplants.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
He was speaking of good health, which is pretty important considering most money is spent on preventable illnesses. I didn't say anything about drunk drivers, genetic diseases, or people getting hurt at work.

all of those things require medical treatment, you can't isolate.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:04 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,744,174 times
Quote:
my wife has been a frontline provider since she was 28 an whole heartedly supports a single payer system. the only insurance that pays without being fought is medicare and medicaid
Well that tells you how inefficient the system is. Are you telling me that there are not fraudulent claims submitted to the government and they are not questioning it? No wonder health care is so expensive!

Old 11-12-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz1 View Post
Just want to clarify. You say your NOT motivated by envy??

i could not care less about money. stop taking things out of context and find some actual support for your argument. he was crying that rich people should pay the same tax as people on welfare.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:06 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,199,322 times
Quote:
You fail to mention (fortunately I know more than a few people in the same field as your wife) that medicare doesn't always pay the full amount they owe. They pay a set amount regardless of the cost, which means the hospital/provider is stiffed on the bill in many cases.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:07 PM

108 posts, read 266,568 times
Quote:
i could not care less about money. stop taking things out of context and find some actual support for your argument. he was crying that rich people should pay the same tax as people on welfare.
I'm not taking anything out of context. You could have answered that question in a number of different ways but you chose that way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies