Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 05:41 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagey cretin View Post
Outsourcing and the H1B visa scam that lets foreigners walk into this country and take good jobs from educated and professiona Americans.

Sickening stuff really
You are way off with the H1B visa. Obviously, you've never stepped foot into an egineering class at a major university. The overwhelming majority of students in those classes are foregin students because American students don't take those classes because they are too hard and require work which conflicts with going to football games and joining frats/sorrorities and getting drunk on campus. The only science classes American kids join are pre-med and pre-health classes for those wanting to go to medical school, dental school, nursing school, podiatry school chiropractor etc. The reason they had to recruit foreign kids is because Americans were not enrolling in those engineering and math classes and those professors needed teaching assistants and researchers to keep those departments open. But of course ignorant good ole boys read the paper, see H1B Visa and assume America hates its own people. You guys have no clue. Sorry but engineering classes require a lot of work and kids can't pull an all-nighter and pass their engineering physics class like they can with sociology, intro to teaching and psychology classes.

If you want to end the H1B Visa issue then you and your "kin" should enroll in engineering and computer science instead of easy majors to major in becoming a high school football coach or a church pastor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 05:47 PM

737 posts, read 1,176,965 times
With Dobbs leaving this certainly catapults CNN much closer to the moderate/centrist part of the political spectrum. Smart move CNN.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:51 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
With Dobbs leaving this certainly catapults CNN much closer to the moderate/centrist part of the political spectrum. Smart move CNN.
Actually, CNN has been moving more and more to the left from center for several years now. FOX is firmly in the right and MSNBC is FOX's polar opposite. CNN looks to be moving towards MSNBC rather than remain in the center.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:55 PM

737 posts, read 1,176,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Actually, CNN has been moving more and more to the left from center for several years now. FOX is firmly in the right and MSNBC is FOX's polar opposite. CNN looks to be moving towards MSNBC rather than remain in the center.
With someone like Lou Dobbs leaving? Hopefully they replace him with someone who is into news as opposed to weirdness

Old 11-11-2009, 06:02 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,342 times
So I guess we can expect CNN ratings to sink somewhere between BET and QVC

Old 11-11-2009, 06:03 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Dobbs rattled off what he considers the main issues our nation faces, but IMO, when he talked the lack of true representation in Washington, he hit on the mother lode of issues that are screwing us up.

Influence peddling in DC is at an all-time high, you and I do NOT have a voice in our government. Corporate interests get the red carpet treatment and get whatever laws, policies and loopholes they want by paying big bucks to those in office.

Just tonight on the evening news they ran a story about some congressman name Buyer. He started a "non-profit" scholarship fund which now has $800k in it, all donations. The "fund" has not awarded even a single scholarship. The fund began with $25k donated by big pharma and ALL of the donations, ALL, have come from firms and industries who have business before the congressional committees on which Rep Buyer is a member. Imagine that.

If Lou wants to take on ONE main issue, it's this congressional payola that needs fixing the worst. Once we stop influence peddling, probably with the public financing of campaigns, we can fix these serious issues:
- The H1b visa scam, which got put into place because certain big businesses wanted cheap labor they could work the crap out of.
- Illegal aliens. The National Chamber of Commerce, union busters, and many others want a steady supply of illegal aliens who are glad to work for SUB standard wages, no benefits, no rights of any kind, no workers comp, no sick leave, no vacation time, etc. These vested interests keep paying off congress who in turn do a half assed job of border enforcement.
- Loss of jobs. We need a congress that makes it financially painful to ship USA jobs overseas.
- Middle class. We need a congress that rescinds the Bush tax cuts which gave the wealthiest 1% a huge tax cut at the expense of the middle class. It is the middle class that is also harmed by the H1b visa scam.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-12-2009 at 09:29 AM..

Old 11-11-2009, 06:08 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
How much do you want to bet that from now on you will be watching Lou on Fox?
*cashes in first-born child*

Old 11-11-2009, 06:09 PM

366 posts, read 297,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Lou's last address

"It's been abundantly clear that strong winds of change have been bufeting this country and affecting all of us. And some leaders in media, politics and business have been urging me to go beyond the role here at CNN and to engage in constructive problem solving as well at to contribute positvely to a better understanding of the issues of our day. And to continue to do so in the most honest and direct manner, I've talked extensively with Jonathan Klein, John is the President of CNN, and as a result of those talks, John and I have agreed to a release from my contract that will enable me to pursue other opportunities. At this point, I'm considering a number of options and directions and I will let you know when I set my course. I truly believe the major issues of our time include the growth of our middle class, the creation of more jobs, healthcare, immigration policy, environment, climate change and our military involvement in Afghanistan and Iraq. But each of those issues is, in my opinion, informed by our capacity to demonstrate strong resilience of our now weakened capitalist economy and demonstrate the political will of our lack of true representation in Washington DC. I believe they used to be profoundly critically important issues and I will continue to strive to deal honestly and straightforwarldy with those issues in the future. Unfortunately, these issues are now defined in the public arena by partisanship and ideaology rather than by rigorous empirical thought and with forthright analysis and discussion. I will being working diligently to change that as best I can, and as for the important work for restoring inspiration to our great free society and our market economy, I will strive to be a leader in that national conversation. It's been my great honor to work with each and every person at this wonderful network. I will be eternally grateful to CNN, Ted Turner and to all of my colleagues and friends and to all of you home."

Great words from a great man! It's sad we don't have more journalists with the class and objectivity as Lou Dobbs. He is by far the best on television

I agree. He's one of the greats. It sounds like he may pursue something in politics? If so, he'd get my vote!

Old 11-11-2009, 06:10 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
With someone like Lou Dobbs leaving? Hopefully they replace him with someone who is into news as opposed to weirdness
I think that's CNN's only ticket out of Palookaville. Rise above all this short-term crap. Dont get down in the mud with Faux, develop a reputation as the ONLY straightforward, unimpeachable news service. They'll become a legend and last forever.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:13 PM

324 posts, read 573,728 times
What a news!
Lou is my favorite. Wonder what's ahead for him.
I've never understood how such a great person as Lou Dobbs and such stupid bit*h as Nancy Grace could be a part of the same network...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies