Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 01:10 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,682,624 times

Advertisements

"That's a group that's about 1.5 million people," said David Himmelstein, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and co-founder of Physicians for a National Health Program who co-authored the study.

Im sure thats an unbiased reporting of the facts. Lets have corporations write a study showing that without bailouts X% all go bankrupt.

That ought to be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 01:15 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,229,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think almost everyone of us donate to the food banks, whether weekly, monthly or when we can. This has little to do with the OPs post about vets dieing from lack of insurance.

I am sorry to hear about your freind. These types of crimes happen daily and are deplorable, but that has little to do with govermnent run health insurance. Those who are homeless or have almost no income can use free clinics or qualify for aid. Those who do not choose to seek medical attention will not be helped by any federally run program.

Nita
I think the healthcare bill needs to be passed, so vets and other people who fall through the cracks can get help.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:18 PM

4,530 posts, read 4,076,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I wonder how many who say; "Thank you for your service" are unwilling to see that the homeless vets get a roof over their heads. Or that the sick vet gets doctor's care. Or that the hungry vet gets fed. It is a lot easier to give lip service than to actually step forward and help.
Stepping forward to help implies charity and a choice and technically no responsibility. Vets fought and became injured to protect all Americans. If you bask in the freedom that vets sacrificed their bodies and lives to provide, it is your responsibility to see to it that they get the care they need.

If you are benefitting from our current system and making a lot of money, personally, I believe your obligation is increased compared to those on the bottom end of the economic ladder.

Of course this does mean some people would have to pay more in taxes and we can't have that.

Much better and easier to take veterans for granted.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
But this post does relate to what the OP is trying to push...!!!

Nita
Quote:
2266 Veterans died due to lack of health coverage. What is YOUR solution?
Coburn is blocking a bill designed to help veterans.

Another thing that would help is the passage of the health care reform act. The VA only takes care of certain veterans for certain illnesses, not all veterans are covered, not all illnesses are covered. For those not covered and fall through the cracks, the health care bill would help.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:26 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,061,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I wonder how many who say; "Thank you for your service" are unwilling to see that the homeless vets get a roof over their heads. Or that the sick vet gets doctor's care. Or that the hungry vet gets fed. It is a lot easier to give lip service than to actually step forward and help.

All of what you mentioned has nothing at all to do with the tax payer paying for anything. This is squarely on the shoulders of the federal govt. These veterans WORKED for the fed govt. It is the feds responsibility to take care of them, not ours. I know you're going to say...but, but, but our tax money is what is used. I know that, what I'm saying is that the Govt. is dropping the ball here, UHC wouldn't solve anything because they already have benefits, and if they don't, see the feds about it.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:27 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,061,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Coburn is blocking a bill designed to help veterans.

Another thing that would help is the passage of the health care reform act. The VA only takes care of certain veterans for certain illnesses, not all veterans are covered, not all illnesses are covered. For those not covered and fall through the cracks, the health care bill would help.
You can blame Obama for that. Didn't he just pass something that made most veterans get their own care?

Old 11-12-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
You can blame Obama for that. Didn't he just pass something that made most veterans get their own care?
I don't think so.

Uless you're referring to this:
http://www.army.mil/-news/2009/10/23...e-legislation/
I don't think you're robert gibbs either.

Robert Gibbs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Obama met with 11 veterans service organizations on Monday and explained his plan to increase funding for Veterans Affairs by $25 billion over five years and bring more than 500,000 eligible veterans of modest income into the VA health care system by 2013.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:50 PM

37,953 posts, read 22,057,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
None of that applies to Veterans seeking Health Care from the Veterans Administration. The first giant step forward would be if Senator Coburn
would stop blocking the Bill in Congress right now. He and his C Street family have done more harm to veterans than anything else I ca think of
Nothing in the post I was responding to mentioned anything about veterans seeking health care. So maybe its not my fault the post I was responding to was written without proper context?

Old 11-12-2009, 03:03 PM

37,953 posts, read 22,057,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
As soon as healthcare reform passes, and it will, the problem will be resolved.
How is that, simply because some faceless people in government will be in control of health care?

Quote:
It is far past time that America has some form of healthcare available to all, we have one of the most expensive systems in the world but rate lower than most industrialized nations when it comes to quality overall healthcare.
Is there some unseen force preventing people from getting health care? There are no signs at my clinic banning people from entering.

Are you just trying to say that the costs of health care are too expensive? If so, one reason it is expensive, and there are many, but one reason is because we Americans demand all the bells and whistles, so our care providers buy the best and most advanced equipment available, while other countries do not. Even small clinics have access to a new MRI while other countries have very few of them, hence the long waiting lines.

Quote:
Yes, I know some of you say you do not want to help others, especially through slightly higher taxes, and that they should just help themselves.
We have Medicare, Medicaid, SCHIP and all emergency rooms must treat all people who enter, regardless of their immediate ability to pay. you act as if none of these things are in existance. you also forget, or choose to ignore that Medicare, Medicaid are almost $50 trillion dollars in the red, and yet you want to applaud the federal government creating another futher sink hole. What makes you think this time it will be run any better? Is it just a blind faith in government?

Old 11-12-2009, 05:27 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,406,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
WASHINGTON (AFP) – The number of US veterans who died in 2008 because they lacked health insurance was 14 times higher than the US military death toll in Afghanistan that year, according to a new study.

The analysis produced by two Harvard medical researchers estimates that 2,266 US military veterans under the age of 65 died in 2008 because they lacked health coverage and had reduced access to medical care.

That figure is more than 14 times higher than the 155 US troop deaths in Afghanistan in 2008, the study says.

Released as the United States commemorates fallen soldiers on Veterans Day, the study warns that even health care provided by the Veterans Health Administration (VA) leaves many veterans without coverage.

The analysis uses census data to isolate the number of US veterans who lack both private health coverage and care offered by the VA.

"That's a group that's about 1.5 million people," said David Himmelstein, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and co-founder of Physicians for a National Health Program who co-authored the study.

"The uninsured have about a 40 percent higher risk of dying each year than otherwise comparable insured individuals," Himmelstein told AFP.

To those who are against the public option or health care reform, who think "the govt has no business in my health care" or "I like mine the way it is and just don't wanna share!" -- WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION? Do you think it's okay that you get to live, and others get to die?
Reform the VA Healthcare System to cover All Veterans (which they already do).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies