Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2007, 09:43 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sous777 View Post
I read what you wrote and again, ask what's the point?

You stated your opinion, yet also stated that gays deserve equal protection under the law. Great. Now that we all know your position on homosexuality we can all die happy.
By that response it is clear that your desire to argue is greater than your desire to communicate. You claim to want dialog, but when the opportunity presents itself you choose to attack. It is clear that continuing on this thread is pointless, because reason is not allowed.

Your choice, your loss.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:46 PM

179 posts, read 119,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
We are not AGAINST them.
If that truly is the case, why do you spend hours infront of the computer debating this subject? Why don't you concern yourself with something important - like the hundreds of murder, rape, and molestation victims everyday in this country?

Why are you so concerned with what someone else chooses to do in their own personal life?

Old 05-17-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Your choice, your loss.
Let me tell ya....

I'm not at a loss for anything. The way I see it, I'm at an advantage, because I'm strong enough to reject fundamental Christianity ideology and see it for what it is - a corrupt, damaging, hypocritical institution which looks to hold us back.

Because with Christians, it's not even about communication. It's about one side providing evidence and facts, and the other quoting Biblical verses, as if that somehow is a substitute for quantifiable, concrete evidence.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:54 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
It's not their opinion. The APA didn't just one day decide to all of a sudden acknowledge homosexuality as a valid alternative to heterosexuality. That decision was a result of years of ongoing research, testing, and studies by a number of highly qualified, highly educated scientists, pyschologists, and psychiatrists.And the Bible has what? Oh that's right....the words of some village men who lived and died thousands of years ago.

Dear Sous,
Did you not know that when I write, it's always eloquent:.

BTW, I think it's pretty likely that these highly educated scientists, psychologists, and psychiatrists had a few biases of their own. Besides, which, what relevance does that have in arguing the point with me. As you did seem to remember, yes, I do think the tendency towards homosexuality may be genetic/biological. Not my point, never has been that homosexuality is or isn't a choice. As I indicated above, to practice it IS a choice.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
As I indicated above, to practice it IS a choice.

Just as to practice heterosexual intercourse is a choice. Your point?

If all sin is created equal, what the hell does it matter? Again, why don't you concern yourself with your own "sins" rather than concerning yourself with someone elses?

Old 05-17-2007, 10:00 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,697 times
sous777,

Why are you arguing with me? I agree with you that homosexuals deserve equal rights in American society. I agree with you that some misguided people use 'religion' to condemn others, rather than themselves. The lesson of religion is that we're ALL unworthy, and less than what we could be.

I've condemned no one, save for one drunken post that I regret, so I fail to see the reason for your toxicity.

Care to 'splain, Lucy?

Old 05-17-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
If that truly is the case, why do you spend hours infront of the computer debating this subject? Why don't you concern yourself with something important - like the hundreds of murder, rape, and molestation victims everyday in this country?

Why are you so concerned with what someone else chooses to do in their own personal life?
I've said it over and over. It does NOT affect me personally. Promotion of what I believe is an immoral behavior affects society adversely in the long run. It legitimizes a behavior that IMHO should not be legitimized. It encourages people who may be struggling with this issue to capitulate to it and embrace it rather than resist and walk in victory over it. I don't think this is a path America should go down. The OP is concerned with the future of America. Well, so am I. I know you can't understand those beliefs, but you asked "why", and I gave you an honest answer.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
sous777,

Why are you arguing with me? I agree with you that homosexuals deserve equal rights in American society. I agree with you that some misguided people use 'religion' to condemn others, rather than themselves. The lesson of religion is that we're ALL unworthy, and less than what we could be.

I've condemned no one, save for one drunken post that I regret, so I fail to see the reason for your toxicity.

Care to 'splain, Lucy?
I think he's confusing you with MY arguments. I'm the "die-hard" that doesn't want to see gay marriage in this country.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:07 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Gizmo-
I hate it when people split hairs about words, but the word that stands out to me here is "defend." I really don't think you have to "defend" the people you love from Christians like Spunky and I. Again, it may seem otherwise, but as I have said repeatedly, I know and love gay people too. And I imagine Spunky feels the same way. We are not AGAINST them.
Maybe you two aren't, but many are! Just think how they must feel, reading & hearing the awful things some people say about them... words are powerful weapons, aren't they? So whenever I hear a hateful comment about gays, it hurts me to the core, because I know how it hurts the people I love. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but there are respectful ways to express them, and then there are cruel ways.

Disclaimer: the above is a general rant, and not directed at anyone in particular.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:07 PM

485 posts, read 1,648,282 times
[quote=sous777;734550]If that truly is the case, why do you spend hours infront of the computer debating this subject?

And you don't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies