Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:09 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sous777 View Post
Just as to practice heterosexual intercourse is a choice. Your point?

If all sin is created equal, what the hell does it matter? Again, why don't you concern yourself with your own "sins" rather than concerning yourself with someone elses?
Again. there are many sins (mine included) but segments of society are NOT seeking to legitimize these sins and give them some kind of promotion through legal sanction. Segments of society are not advocating that a lot of other sins are indeed, NOT sins. And I explained why I think it matters in one of my last posts.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:14 PM

179 posts, read 119,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Promotion of what I believe is an immoral behavior affects society adversely in the long run. It legitimizes a behavior that IMHO should not be legitimized. It encourages people who may be struggling with this issue to capitulate to it and embrace it rather than resist and walk in victory over it. I don't think this is a path America should go down. The OP is concerned with the future of America. Well, so am I. I know you can't understand those beliefs, but you asked "why", and I gave you an honest answer.
No one's promoting anything. All gays want is equal rights and protection under the law. Who cares what you find immoral? I don't recall anyone ever asking your opinion on the subject.

I find it immoral people like you use religion to enforce their ideas on others. Look, homosexuality isn't going anywhere. America IS going down that path because gays exist now, they've existed in the past, and they will continue to exist in the future.

So deal with it.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:14 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Maybe you two aren't, but many are! Just think how they must feel, reading & hearing the awful things some people say about them... words are powerful weapons, aren't they? So whenever I hear a hateful comment about gays, it hurts me to the core, because I know how it hurts the people I love. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but there are respectful ways to express them, and then there are cruel ways.

Disclaimer: the above is a general rant, and not directed at anyone in particular.
Well, I do grant you that. Some people ARE hateful about homosexuals. But I don't like that kind of talk or behavior either.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:15 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Oh, but in reading your (kaykay) posts again, I do have to say one thing... you may not be cruel to gay people, but many of your views ARE against them. Homosexuality might be just an "issue" to you, but to them, it's a big part of who they are. Think about this - if I were to say negative things about Christianity, like you're all crazy & sinful for not wearing yarmulkes (LOL), wouldn't that feel like an attack on you? I feel that way if someone makes an antisemitic remark, so I'd assume you also wouldn't like that being said about your faith... and you'd probably defend yourself, right?

Old 05-17-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Well, I do grant you that. Some people ARE hateful about homosexuals. But I don't like that kind of talk or behavior either.
Good... at least we agree on one thing.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Again. there are many sins (mine included) but segments of society are NOT seeking to legitimize these sins and give them some kind of promotion through legal sanction. Segments of society are not advocating that a lot of other sins are indeed, NOT sins. And I explained why I think it matters in one of my last posts.
Right. Because there's no legal sanction banning adulterers.

Gay marriage laws are not "promoting" anything. Just like the child molestation scandal within the church didn't promote child abuse (or maybe it did) .

Rather, gay marriage laws look to give equal and fair representation to tax paying and law abiding US citizens. Who gives a damn you think it's a sin? So because you and others like you believe it's a sin, that somehow gives you the right to deny these people equal rights?

You can't use your religion as a weapon like that to deny anyone anything. The fact you think you can makes me question your sanity. Again, who do you think you are?

Religion has no place in government policy. And whether you like it or not, this country will become more secular, slowly but surely. Gay marriage WILL be legal in the near future.

Gays aren't going anywhere. Deal with it.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:19 PM

485 posts, read 1,648,282 times
Quote:
I know you can't understand those beliefs, but you asked "why", and I gave you an honest answer.
This is exactly what I said earlier. Always the question is why, but when you answer it, people who don't share our beliefs can't understand that answer. It must be an answer that is generally understood from years of being raised in a christian home. Is that a good reason for continual attacks on our character? No. Believe it or not, not all christians are hypocritical, judgmental or homophobes. In fact true christians are none of these. But we are allowed to have our own beliefs, and express them. And, we are not trying to shove them down anyone's throat. We keep posting them, because we are continually being asked to.

Last edited by robinhood; 05-17-2007 at 10:30 PM..

Old 05-17-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Did you know that unmarried hetero couples who live together, IN SIN, can still get benefits for their significant other? (at least in some states, like mine) You can even file as a "common-law spouse", and be recognized as a married couple without actually being one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the Bible says it's a sin to have sexual relations before marriage, and would certainly not agree with "shacking up"... so wouldn't that be a government-sanctioned sin?

(for the record, I do not think living together is a sin - considering I lived with an ex, LOL)

Old 05-17-2007, 10:25 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oh, but in reading your (kaykay) posts again, I do have to say one thing... you may not be cruel to gay people, but many of your views ARE against them. Homosexuality might be just an "issue" to you, but to them, it's a big part of who they are. Think about this - if I were to say negative things about Christianity, like you're all crazy & sinful for not wearing yarmulkes (LOL), wouldn't that feel like an attack on you? I feel that way if someone makes an antisemitic remark, so I'd assume you also wouldn't like that being said about your faith... and you'd probably defend yourself, right?
I hear crazy attacks like that on a daily basis. Because I'm a Christian, I get compared to false prophets that populate the TV airwaves and racists and bigots who twist the Word of God to further their own evil ends. It's a fact of life, and one that is NOT going to get any better in the short time we all have left.

Jesus said, "Your righteousness is as filthy rags." It means He doesn't fall for the sanctimonious BS any more than we should.

"Master, what must I do to gain eternal life?"

"Love God with all your heart, mind and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself."

Old 05-17-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
We keep posting them, because we are continually being asked to.
I don't recall ANYONE....in this thread or the other one (save the OP in the one about her daughter) asking any of you your personal Christian opinions. What we have asked for is evidence which support your viewpoints.

To which you have yet to provide. If support for your view points comes from your Bible, than you're wasting your time. And if you genuinly believe the words of a book written thousands of years ago by a bunch of men over present day scientists, psychologists, psychiatrists, organizations (NASA, AAS, APA) then we are wasting our time.

Because the difference is the latter doesn't just make statements. They make statements based on fact. Based on evidence. Based on reality.

The Bible? Based on the words of men who died thousands of years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies