Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 03:19 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times

Advertisements

Educate yourself.

Here's multiple links about the medicinal use of marijauna. If it didn't have medicinal properties then there wouldn't be drugs being developed to mimic it's properties. Marijuana can help treat depression, anxiety, nausea, anorexia, and other symptoms. Also, check out the comparison of deaths due to marijuana vs. legal prescription drugs.

Pot-based prescription drug looks for FDA OK

Deaths from Marijuana v. 17 FDA-Approved Drugs - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

10 Facts About Marijuana | Marijuana Policy and Effects | Drug Policy Alliance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 04:14 PM

30,059 posts, read 18,656,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
med·i·cine (md-sn)
n. 1. a. The science of diagnosing, treating, or preventing disease and other damage to the body or mind.
b. The branch of this science encompassing treatment by drugs, diet, exercise, and other nonsurgical means.

2. The practice of medicine.
3. An agent, such as a drug, used to treat disease or injury.
4. Something that serves as a remedy or corrective

If I smoke marijuana to do number 4, serve as a remedy to help regulate my sleep cycle, or the fact that it helps my restless leg syndrom, or that it seems to give me less headaces,

How is that not serving to remedy something?

At any rate, in a free country, its none of anyone elses business what they take as a remedy.
A "remedy" is not indicated unless it can be demonstrated to be superior or equal to existing drugs for that indication via a randomized, double blinded, prospective study with valid statistical analysis.

Everything else is just an anecdote, for which any prudent physician would not risk his patient's health or his career. This is why medicine is not for amateurs.

But if you are a stoner and want to get stoned, that is fine with me.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:25 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
A "remedy" is not indicated unless it can be demonstrated to be superior or equal to existing drugs for that indication via a randomized, double blinded, prospective study with valid statistical analysis.

Everything else is just an anecdote, for which any prudent physician would not risk his patient's health or his career. This is why medicine is not for amateurs.

But if you are a stoner and want to get stoned, that is fine with me.

I've tried various medications for my RLS. When I was in the military for 4 years, can't smoke pot, random drug screenings. None of them worked. Even had a doctor prescribe me valium and was told to take it only when I had an issue. Opiates make me sick to my stomach, still do to this day.

And I've also tried various migraine medications. My grandmothers doctor prescribes her an injection to take when she gets them. She sits on her couch with pillows over her head for a few hours. When I smoke pot once a week, I don't have migraines, I'd rather keep it that way.

And its been shown through testing that marijuana has an effect on these issues. Its why the AMA is saying we need to reschedule it as a level 3 substance. Right now, cocaine is less of a rating then marijuana, which is just asinine.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:43 PM

30,059 posts, read 18,656,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I've tried various medications for my RLS. When I was in the military for 4 years, can't smoke pot, random drug screenings. None of them worked. Even had a doctor prescribe me valium and was told to take it only when I had an issue. Opiates make me sick to my stomach, still do to this day.

And I've also tried various migraine medications. My grandmothers doctor prescribes her an injection to take when she gets them. She sits on her couch with pillows over her head for a few hours. When I smoke pot once a week, I don't have migraines, I'd rather keep it that way.

And its been shown through testing that marijuana has an effect on these issues. Its why the AMA is saying we need to reschedule it as a level 3 substance. Right now, cocaine is less of a rating then marijuana, which is just asinine.
".................and its been shown through "testing" that marijuana has an effect on these issues"......

WHAT TESTING?
WAS THE STUDY BLINDED?
WAS THE STUDY PROSPECTIVE?
WAS THE STUDY RANDOMIZED?
WAS VALID STATISTICAL EVALUATION PERFORMED?

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is NOT ONE randomized, double blinded, prospective study with valid statistical analysis showing a "medical" benefit of pot. You are just a stoner who likes to get high. Face it- you are not using pot for "medical reasons", as there are none- you are just a stoner who wants escape from reality. Let me tell you- reality is just fine and there is no reason to get stoned. You can do that when you are dead.

If you have "restless leg syndrome", use Mirtazapine or Tizanadine. Perhaps it is a misdiagnosis. If you want to get stoned, please do so. However, do not embarrass any physician and suggest you are doing so for "medical" reasons.

That contention has all the veracity of "Granny" using white lightening as "Rhematis medicine".

Old 10-27-2012, 11:15 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times
I never smoked pot and am not in favor of it being legal for personal enjoyment. But I do feel it should be legalized by prescription for conditions like cancer patients undergoing chemo or people who have a severe chronic pain condition. Though my wife has never smoked cigarettes nor pot, she's almost to the point of asking her sister for some and bake some brownies. She has a right lung that's half the size of the left lung because of the type and degree of her S-curve scoliosis and is in constant pain even with #10 Lortab, Flexeril, and Mobic. For her, I'd be her Betty Crocker. Though not as fast acting, it's effects would last longer.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:20 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times
Oh, I forgot to add that because of her pain she rarely eats more than one meal a day. She's lost much of the muscle tone she once had before her pain progressed to it's current level. Using pot in the brownie would also help to increase her appetite so she could at least eat two meals a day. She's also depressed. Some days I go check on her and ask if she needs me to get her anything while I'm up and she answers, "a new body".

Old 10-27-2012, 11:31 PM

1,438 posts, read 778,809 times
I love how if any organization disagrees with the conservative party line they are now considered Marxist......

Old 10-27-2012, 11:37 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,475,344 times
It ought to be legal for all purposes.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:45 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,475,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
I love how if any organization disagrees with the conservative party line they are now considered Marxist......
Yeah, I've read the Communist Manifesto and I don't remember seeing anything about pot in there.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:55 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Quote:
am not in favor of it being legal for personal enjoyment
Why not?

I get that many people think that if something is enjoyable, fun, pleasurable, physically feels good, etc. it must be BAD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies