Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 06:34 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
And also by keeping them from being born to messed up mothers.....somehow I can't argue with that.
It is just not even that anymore.

Being born to a messed up mom sucks but you can get out of it. Say a teacher sees the bruises and stuff. You will be taken out of the home.

It is just the world in general. This world is so disgusting, so hateful, so unsafe. I don't even feel like living in this kind of world at times. There was such a change in a short period of time. 10 years ago, I was a preteen. I did not know what sex was. I did not know about swear words. I did not know anything bad or sexual.

I went back to student teach three years ago and all these kids in fifth grade were talking about how they "boned" each other and smoked pot.

I don't even WANT to know. I am young right now. Realistically my age to have children would come in maybe 6 or 7 years. But I know I am doing a favor by not getting pregnant to the fetus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 06:46 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,336 times
It's official: Bishop Tobin has barred Patrick Kennedy from receiving Communion.

WASHINGTON — Providence Bishop Thomas J. Tobin has forbidden Rep. Patrick J. Kennedy to receive the Roman Catholic sacrament of Holy Communion because of his advocacy of abortion rights, the Rhode Island Democrat said Friday.

“The bishop instructed me not to take Communion and said that he has instructed the diocesan priests not to give me Communion,” Kennedy said in a telephone interview.

Kennedy: Barred from Communion | John Mulligan | projo.com | The Providence Journal

Old 11-22-2009, 06:53 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
It is just not even that anymore.

Being born to a messed up mom sucks but you can get out of it. Say a teacher sees the bruises and stuff. You will be taken out of the home.

It is just the world in general. This world is so disgusting, so hateful, so unsafe. I don't even feel like living in this kind of world at times. There was such a change in a short period of time. 10 years ago, I was a preteen. I did not know what sex was. I did not know about swear words. I did not know anything bad or sexual.

I went back to student teach three years ago and all these kids in fifth grade were talking about how they "boned" each other and smoked pot.

I don't even WANT to know. I am young right now. Realistically my age to have children would come in maybe 6 or 7 years. But I know I am doing a favor by not getting pregnant to the fetus.
As a teacher-to-be you are surely studying early childhood development. Then you must know that the greatest damage to the developing psyche is done by negligent and/or abusive parents before the children get to school. By the time a child gets to school, it has usually been going on for the child's entire life and that damage can never be undone. Sad, indeed, and an enormous problem around the world, not just in this country.

Not questioning you but it is hard for me to think that in this day and age, with its permissiveness and rampant sexuality, abuse, profanity, drugs, etc. thrown at children from early childhood on via TV and movies, that somehow you escaped exposure to it. Of course, your environment could have been one where you were somehow shielded from it. Mine certain was.....but I was born in 1935 and it was a totally different world then.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
As a teacher-to-be you are surely studying early childhood development. Then you must know that the greatest damage to the developing psyche is done by negligent and/or abusive parents before the children get to school. By the time a child gets to school, it has usually been going on for the child's entire life and that damage can never be undone. Sad, indeed, and an enormous problem around the world, not just in this country.

Not questioning you but it is hard for me to think that in this day and age, with its permissiveness and rampant sexuality, abuse, profanity, drugs, etc. thrown at children from early childhood on via TV and movies, that somehow you escaped exposure to it. Of course, your environment could have been one where you were somehow shielded from it. Mine certain was.....but I was born in 1935 and it was a totally different world then.
Yes, I am.

Well, I was born in 1988. And to be honest, I did not see many sexual things. I did not know what sex was until I was 6th grade. So I guess I did escape it. But then again, I was the girl who wanted to be Princess Jasmine from Aladdin. I LOVED Disney. I did not watch TV as much as I watched those Disney movies. From the Jungle Book to Lion King.

I realize this is no longer a problem just in the USA. It is everywhere and it is sad. By not having a child, I am doing the child a favor. I am doing the Earth a favor (not another mouth to feed) and prolly doing myself and my bank account a favor. Probably doing my future marriage a favor too.

I understand the damage is done when you are young and troubles go on. My mother was and still is unstable. I know how much of an impact it was. My father always denied the issue and ignored it. Only until the last couple of years has he stood up for me when my mother acted up.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:25 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Yes, I am.

Well, I was born in 1988. And to be honest, I did not see many sexual things. I did not know what sex was until I was 6th grade. So I guess I did escape it. But then again, I was the girl who wanted to be Princess Jasmine from Aladdin. I LOVED Disney. I did not watch TV as much as I watched those Disney movies. From the Jungle Book to Lion King.

I realize this is no longer a problem just in the USA. It is everywhere and it is sad. By not having a child, I am doing the child a favor. I am doing the Earth a favor (not another mouth to feed) and prolly doing myself and my bank account a favor. Probably doing my future marriage a favor too.

I understand the damage is done when you are young and troubles go on. My mother was and still is unstable. I know how much of an impact it was. My father always denied the issue and ignored it. Only until the last couple of years has he stood up for me when my mother acted up.
I wish you well as you continue along your life's path.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:42 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
That was William Kennedy Smith.

Cousin Michael Skakel is doing time for the murder of Martha Moxley.

Former Congressman Joe Kennedy II, eldest son of Bobby Kennedy, was at the wheel of a Jeep that overturned in 1973 in which one of the passengers was paralyzed.

Then there's David Kennedy, drug addict, who was found dead of an overdose in Palm Beach.

Such a nice family.
Thank you, ZGACK! But you have one critical omission in your list -- Old Ted and poor Mary Jo.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:30 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If the church leaders wish to express political views I hope the IRS is paying attention, let themm be taxed like anyone else.

tax the heLL out of them!

Old 11-22-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
tax the heLL out of them!

Start taxing the Churches that influence how they tell their followers to vote.

The Church I have been going too for religious studies has been awesome. They do not bring up President Obama or Bush. They are conservative but keep the lectures to talking about Jesus and love.

It really opened my eyes to a different look although I firmly believe in my liberal ways.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:27 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The Kennedy's are nothing but hypocrits who claim to be Catholic but believe nor live anything of it.

They should be kicked out of the church, there is no purpose of them belonging to it, except they like to use it as another way to get votes.
Oh malamute, once you understand the Catholic religion, then, and only then will you realize that it, the religion itself is just full of hypocracy! It's not just a Kennedy family trait, it is the religion itself. Once you understand that, then you'll understand what the Kennedys in politics ideals are. Which is democratic or liberal. We long time democrats know all of this, and accept it as the norm. We stopped rolling our eyes about 30 years ago, nothing surprizes us anymore. So, to say the Kennedys are hypocrites? I don't know if this is your personal vendetta or axe to grind with the Kennedys, or, if you're trying to make a point? If you're trying to make a point, it is mute.

I am all for separation of church/state. The way I feel about it is if the Bishop want's to get conservative all of a sudden, he'd better begin looking at the remainder of his congregation too, and not just one individual in the lime light.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:58 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Oh, isn't that SPECIAL!!!!! The same Old Boys Club who allowed known pedophile priests to SODOMIZE and RAPE young boys and girls has the audacity to tell others anything? Please. The only "right" they have is to shut their big, fat, lying, hypocritcal mouths. Until they apologize and "repent", they can go to where the sun doesn't shine.

Whenever they pass the collection basket for this cause or that cause, I think to myself how much of that is going to pay for the sexual abuse settlements, much of which could have been prevented had they rid the church of these pedophile monsters. No, they did NO such thing, instead they harbored known sexual offenders and placed them in new parishes which had a new batch of innocent, young children to molest.

They should be ashamed to open their mouths - period - much less tell anyone about morality or ethics. They need to go hide in deep, dark caves or under rocks with the rest of snakes.

Obviously, you are not a Catholic. Therefore, your reccommendations to the church will probably not be taken seriously. You should re-evaluate why you are angry and perhaps start with change in your own home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies