Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 05:20 PM

432 posts, read 1,878,727 times

Advertisements

OK, so...if soy feminizes you, prevents hot flashes, and makes little boys gay....

What about little girls?

If this is true, then are we raising a generation of super fembots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 05:30 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,592,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsvmom View Post
OK, so...if soy feminizes you, prevents hot flashes, and makes little boys gay....

What about little girls?

If this is true, then are we raising a generation of super fembots?
As I said before, eating soy doesn't make ANYONE gay. Large amounts of estrogen in utero and post partum reduce testosterone levels in infant boys and seems to lead to a panoply of physical problems, including genital birth defects.

As for little girls, the research DOES lead in that direction. Girls sprouting breasts and pubic hair as young as 5 years old. Menses at the age of 7 or 8. It's a recent phenomena(the last 20 years or so) and the incidents are increasing.

I'm still reading though, so who knows where it all will lead?

The thyroid problems I'm reading about are definitely a cause for concern.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:09 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
That's what I mean about READING the article in question. NOWHERE in it does it say that eating soy will 'make you gay'. That's completely absurd. It does, however, go into the physiological changes that happen in fetuses and infants subjected to extremely high levels of estrogen at that critical stage of development.

I would assume that most folks would at least educate themselves as to the article at hand before spouting their unfounded opinions. As I said on page one of this thread, I didn't know ANYTHING about the subject before today. I've spent a few hours doing BASIC research, and preliminary results of that lead me to believe that soy products aren't near as harmless as Cargill and ADM want us to THINK they are.

Next question?
Hey, I'm not questioning that soy might be unhealthy, and quite frankly I don't care - I hate that stuff! But my point was that I'm not about to get this info from a bogus source, so there's no point in "considering" or studying the article. I don't have time to conduct research on the real topic, but according to the other posts, I wouldn't find much anyway... so there's really nothing to debate, I guess.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:42 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't have time to conduct research on the real topic, but according to the other posts, I wouldn't find much anyway... so there's really nothing to debate, I guess.
Indeed, there isn't much--the July 20 article does not show up in the Jerusalem Post archives.
The British Medical Journal article is two years old.
AFAIK, from reading the responses to the article, soy formula is as available as it ever was in New Zealand. At least, it was in 2005.

Using Google, I tried to corroborate Jim Rutz's claims of the study at University of North Carolina, the one with breasts forming on men--and got nothing about this "study," but there was a study on mice (at Tufts).
The mere suggestion that soy might increase breast cancer risk rankles some soy researchers, including Gorbach of Tufts. "That's a ridiculous contention," he says. "Everywhere in the world where soy is consumed, the amount of breast cancer is remarkably decreased."

Still, in the interests of full disclosure, here's another side of the story.

When human breast cancers are transplanted into mice who are then given varying doses of isoflavones, strange things happen, says Tufts biochemist Barry Goldin. At high doses, the plant estrogens inhibit the growth of human breast cancer cells, while at lower doses, they may enhance it.

link (http://www.myhealthsense.com/F000215_sagaOfSoy.html - broken link)

Hey, I am the first one to say that the best formula for baby is Mom's breast milk.
As with anything we eat, moderation and balance are important.
But I do not think I can muster any more interest in Rutz and his devil food.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:54 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
A question:

So if this is all presumably true, then how come there aren't more gay Seventh Day Adventist?...

Soy is all they seem to eat and drink.

Because it is against their religion, and what the bible says, and since homosexuality is a choice they choose not to indulge in this sin.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:04 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
I drank Soy milk for the first time this morning to see what all the fuss was about. And I can announce that I feel a litttle evil & gay per the topic headline. So what can I do to get my masculinity back ? I searched WND and there is nothing I could find to counteract my SoySexuality. I guess im doomed. How will I tell my wife ? Should she drink Soy so we can be equal! HELP!!!!!

On a serious note, Soy tastes like dirt, who can honestly say it tates good ?

Old 05-15-2007, 11:28 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,592,989 times
Since it didn't register for you before, the July 20th reference in the Jerusalem Post was this...
Quote:
According to the Jerusalem Post (July 20), soy is widely used in Israel by people of all ages because it is a cheap substitute for meat and soy infant formula is especially popular among haredi families who choose not to mix milk-based baby formulas with meat meals.
Note that it says NOTHING about the Ministry of Health report.

The British Medical Journal article is 2 years old because this report was issued 2 years ago.

ADM, Cargill and Monsanto are spending hundreds of millions of dollars promoting soy products because it's a multi-BILLION dollar industry, NOT because soy is 'good for you'.

Here's an article that clears the air a bit...

http://health.benabraham.com/html/are_soy_foods___drinks_healthy.html (broken link)

Old 05-15-2007, 11:52 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Because it is against their religion, and what the bible says, and since homosexuality is a choice they choose not to indulge in this sin.
*Yawn*... tell that to the (numerous) gay Seventh Day Adventists I've met here! And to take your comment one step further, I guess that explains why no Catholics have pre-marital sex - oh, whoops.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post

Here's an article that clears the air a bit...

http://health.benabraham.com/html/are_soy_foods___drinks_healthy.html (broken link)
That piece is the same exact article that turns up everywhere, from Mothering magazine to every other anti-soy entity.

I think I finally got to the bottom of this. I found out who Kaayla Daniel, author of that article, precisely is.
Kaayla Daniel, author of the article, is on the board of the Weston Price Foundation.
The Weston A. Price Foundation, a career soy-basher that has “milked” their soy-bashing campaign for several years. Sally Fallon and co-author Mary Enig seem to run the show.

Not limited to warning against the consumption of soyfoods, their upside-down prescription for health extends to debunking low fat diets, and particularly the vegetarian and vegan lifetstyle while strongly promoting meat and dairy consumption.

Check out what John Robbins has to say about the anti-soy rhetoric.
link

And more:
Dr. Suze Paxton (R.Ph.), President, Preventive Nutrition Consultants, Inc.,
link (broken link)

Here is Weston Price's link: Weston Price
GuyPinestra, I don't know if your curiosity is satisfied, but mine is.
I think I now have the *whole* story on this.
I am an unapologetic carnivore.
Soy is no miracle food that everyone should wolf down 24/7, but neither is Daniel's essay is the final word on soy.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:59 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,651 times
I wonder if there is more to this, I am not so sure it is SOY however that is causing this to happen, I believe it is enviromental things, like polluted air and chemicals in our air, as opposed to SOY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies