Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 12:51 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times

Advertisements

This is from a newsletter, The Daily Reckoning.

"One thing Americans take for granted is that they will always be the richest, most successful people on earth. They think that because that is what they have always known. The US economy became the biggest in the world before 1900. Americans had just what it took to become the richest people on the planet. They worked hard. They saved their money. They had little government interference. They had the industrial revolution at their backs...and nothing in their way. And they had a dollar that was 'as good as gold.' By the time the baby boomers were born the US had such a big lead over the rest of the world, it seemed like nothing could stop it. Free enterprise guaranteed new innovations and new wealth. Democracy guaranteed a political system that would adapt to the needs of the evolving economy.

"But nothing lasts forever. As it matured, the US economy and its political system became more and more rigid and more and more costly, with handouts and bailouts...at every level. Large companies are protected. Millions of people are encouraged not to work. The whole financial industry is dipped in honey. And the whole population is urged not to save, but to spend."

Depressing, or not? What is to be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 12:54 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,063,614 times
In my lifetime, we will always be that. So it's true for most people.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:55 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times
It certainly paints a bleak picture. Live debt free and live free.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:59 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Live debt free.
If I only hadn't gone to college.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:06 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Depressing perhaps, but spot on. Who ever said life was supposed to be happy all the time eh?
This country needs the reality check.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:08 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
If I only hadn't gone to college.
I hear ya! GI Bill paid for some of mine, but I had to take loans as well. It took me going to Iraq as a defense contractor last year to pay off all of my debt, but its done and now my family and I are debt free.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:11 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I hear ya! GI Bill paid for some of mine, but I had to take loans as well. It took me going to Iraq as a defense contractor last year to pay off all of my debt, but its done and now my family and I are debt free.
Will be there one day ... until then, I'll be making the 35k-55k range salary ... dishing out that $300 a month to student loans. Don't "own" a home yet

Old 11-13-2009, 01:11 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,538 times
I don't think Americans used to take it for granted. The depression was burned into the memory of the people that went through it, and that generation passed a strong work ethic on to their children. I see the present younger generation as the ones taking it for granted, and thinking it will all be handed to them. Playing video games, watching t.v. and eating snack foods all day will tend to make anyone take life for granted.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:13 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
This is from a newsletter, The Daily Reckoning.

"One thing Americans take for granted is that they will always be the richest, most successful people on earth. They think that because that is what they have always known. The US economy became the biggest in the world before 1900. Americans had just what it took to become the richest people on the planet. They worked hard. They saved their money. They had little government interference. They had the industrial revolution at their backs...and nothing in their way. And they had a dollar that was 'as good as gold.' By the time the baby boomers were born the US had such a big lead over the rest of the world, it seemed like nothing could stop it. Free enterprise guaranteed new innovations and new wealth. Democracy guaranteed a political system that would adapt to the needs of the evolving economy.

"But nothing lasts forever. As it matured, the US economy and its political system became more and more rigid and more and more costly, with handouts and bailouts...at every level. Large companies are protected. Millions of people are encouraged not to work. The whole financial industry is dipped in honey. And the whole population is urged not to save, but to spend."

Depressing, or not? What is to be done?
I don't take it for granted at all. I fully understand that Obama and his minions would love nothing more than to cut America down to size and make us all equally poor. On the other side you have neocons spending trillions on wars and fighting hard to protect big businesses while not caring about the average Joe's and Jane's.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I don't take it for granted at all. I fully understand that Obama and his minions would love nothing more than to cut America down to size and make us all equally poor.
Oh for ford's sake; this didn't start on 20 Jan 2009.
How much is Bush's war costing us?

http://www.videonewslive.com/view/225004/cost_of_iraq_war_daily (broken link)

About $750 million per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies