Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 12:33 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
Oh please, you can not pursue happiness without a car. Try to keep up.
I haven't had a car for years--I don't need one. I can walk to work, or anywhere else I NEED to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 07:24 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,555 times
I forgot to mention what we all learned (if you had drivers ed in school) when we first got our driver's license....that driving is a privilege and not a right....which gives the states even more justification to be able to fine you if you're uninsured.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:36 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I haven't had a car for years--I don't need one. I can walk to work, or anywhere else I NEED to go.

I meant in America

Old 11-16-2009, 07:37 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,555 times
When you think about it, the way they would normally do this is they would increase taxes enough to equal everyone paying the penalty. Then they would give it back to all those insured as a tax credit, leaving only the ones not buying insurance to pay the penalty but, in taxes. The administration has to make the funding for UHC not look like taxes though. The funding for UHC will eventually have to be paid with taxes and when it does, it will be under a different administration.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:15 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
If we had Nationalized Health Care your car insurance would be 60% cheaper

Old 11-16-2009, 08:52 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
Yes, I know the few measly differences. Like one would be forced federally and the other is just state forced, and you have to own a car to be forced to buy the car insurance, and you can choose to walk on the interstate instead.

But Car Insurance is like forcing everyone to buy health insurance.

For example, when you were a kid and played sports, or are an adult now and still play sports, accidents happen. People get tackled in football, people get tackled in basketball sometimes, people get tackled in soccer sometimes, people get broken noses, people get stitches, people get broken legs, people get concussions, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, ..... People should be forced to provide adequate Health Insurance coverage for their kids before allowing them to play sports or go to recess, etc. People should also be forced to provide adequate Health Insurance for themselves if they do these risk induced activities.

If we are going to have forced car insurance just for choosing to travel efficiently instead of walking or riding a bike or horse, we should also force people to have health insurance, if they do anything that could cause an accident to themselves or someone else, like playing sports. This way no one will be allowed to play sports unless they have HI in case something happened to them.

If you are caught at a park or on your own driveway playing a heated game of 1 on 1 basketball without Health Insurance, you should go to jail for no less than 3-6 months.

Other accidents happen while at the work place, while riding to and from work, while walking to the grocery store, while cleaning the gutter, while washing the dishes, and while swimming at the lake. There is no such thing as a safe world.

Think of a CAR as a BODY... You are responsible for your car and anything that it might hit. You should also be responsible for your body and anything that it might cause damage to, including yourself.

This whole car insurance analogy is just so flawed. I could buy a brand new 2010 Chevy Camaro, take it home, and pull out the engine and transmission, and install it into my old 1969 Camaro, and have the junk yard tow away my 2010 Camaro, and no one has a right to say a word about it.

This is where the modern liberal, Democratic Party has taken our country to? That the federal government can now demand that we buy a specific, government defined and approved product and service, as a function of American citizenship, or face federal fines and/or imprisonment?

We are told we must do this for the greater good of the collective society, and yet we have no say over what this will cost us, nor do we have any say over the type, quality or content of the product or services that we are being forced to pay for?

We are told the federal government will decide for us, what form and function the product and services will be. Our duty as citizens will be to submit to the federal government, pay whatever fees the federal government determines the product and services will cost, or go to prison.

Five, ten, fifteen, or twenty years from now, who will be in control of the federal government? The left is this country is quick to just say “let the government do it†even thought they don’t know who in government that might be.

They don’t know their names, they don’t know their qualifications, they don’t know their resume, their intentions, what agency will ultimately control health care, how they will fund it, how they will keep costs down and control fraud and corruption.
They don’t know any of this, all they know is “the government should control it†without knowing who they may be, or what “it†might be.

Why liberals want to empower some unknown and faceless entities in the current or future government to steal liberty and property, I will never understand.

The law of the land is the US Constitution, and just because the temporary occupants in the halls of government think they have a better idea then what is written in the Constitution, and simply because they were elected to a four or six year term of elected office, does not give them the right to reinterpret the US Constitution and reshape or “fundamentally change America†in their own image.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:33 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
If we had Nationalized Health Care your car insurance would be 60% cheaper

70% of all statistics are made up on the spot and 80% of the people believe them.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:37 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Nvxplorer,

you're not getting what people are saying.

I completely refuse to get health care. Why should I pay for something I'm NOT GOING TO USE?
I've never filed an auto claim, and I've carried insurance since 1973. Do I get my money back?

Old 11-16-2009, 12:39 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
I forgot to mention what we all learned (if you had drivers ed in school) when we first got our driver's license....that driving is a privilege and not a right....which gives the states even more justification to be able to fine you if you're uninsured.
The only justification they need is the existence of law. Whether something is a right or privilege is irrelevant.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:44 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I've never filed an auto claim, and I've carried insurance since 1973. Do I get my money back?
Since the federal government wasn't involved in any of that, I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies