U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 09:39 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,856,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by conversationist View Post
there are more underclass people in America than ever before.
I wasn't aware that there is a growing underclass. How do you define "underclass"?

Do you have any facts (stats, analysis, articles.. anything at all) to back the claim that it is growing?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 09:51 AM

2,923 posts, read 4,690,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnkali View Post
Well, when you PAY people to do all the wrong things, YOU GET MORE OF IT.

That lesson is pretty clear when you venture into the urban core of most cities. Government decided to become the Daddy via welfare, section 8, WIC, free lunches et al. Of course, the real Daddy's are in jail or selling drugs or committing crimes. They don't have a role in the anti-men welfare world created by the so-called "Great Society" programs to "end" poverty.

Government do-gooder welfare programs have destroyed millions of families. And we wonder why millions of underclass men end up the way they do....

So, you have government financing hellish, counter-culture neighborhoods and whole sections of cities. Rampant crime. Millions of fatherless youth. The work ethic has been removed from this entire sector of society.....BY GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS.

Meanwhile, the working, tax-paying middle class has to fend for themselves. They spend huge sums of money to escape the high crime, underclass areas and they CAN'T AFFORD TO HAVE MANY/ANY KIDS because housing, safe neighborhoods and acceptable schools come at a high price.

Pretty screwed up world. Pay our underclass to sit on their ass. And it's not like there isn't work out there for those willing to work. Somehow 12 million illegals find work here...
ueeegggggghhh...

(damn lazy poor people all deserve to be poor. Starve em I say.) ??????????

Old 05-17-2007, 10:05 AM

340 posts, read 695,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
ueeegggggghhh...

Nothing like the hunger of an able-bodied man or woman to get them off their ass... If not, then their hunger must not be too bad... Welfare is needed, but very little, and for a very short time frame... It should be a hand up, not a hand out...

Old 05-17-2007, 10:26 AM

646 posts, read 1,692,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dir Drill 1 View Post
Nothing like the hunger of an able-bodied man or woman to get them off their ass... If not, then their hunger must not be too bad... Welfare is needed, but very little, and for a very short time frame... It should be a hand up, not a hand out...
Would be easier if there were some decent jobs for them...

Old 05-17-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
Would be easier if there were some decent jobs for them...
First you have to want a good job to get it.. Second, there would be a whole lot more jobs if there were only American Citizens holding them currently.. The job market and wages paid would improve if companies could not get away with employing Illegals...

Old 05-17-2007, 10:39 AM

646 posts, read 1,692,107 times
That is true, but do you really think that all the people who are poor just are lazy and don't want a job? Maybe we should raise the minimum wage?
What about people who are permanent residents? Should they be allowed to work? I agree with you though that the employment laws regarding illegal aliens should be enforced stricter, but it will undoubtly raise prices.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:45 AM

2,967 posts, read 1,903,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dir Drill 1 View Post
hand up, not a hand out. . I like it, I like it.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:52 AM

2,967 posts, read 1,903,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conversationist View Post
It was a very interesting but depressing trip. I never realized there was so much poverty and ignorance in America. I saw so many people who appeared to be really struggling financially, emotionally and intellectually. I was shocked at their diction, attitude, and lack of personal respect.

I do not understand how the greatest country in the world can not do a better job at reducing the number of people who live in despair, ignorance and poverty. It seems like no matter what we do a good percentage of people will live their life in poverty and ignorance.

Why?
I disagree with the assumption that poverty and ignorance are necessarily linked. Just because one is poor doesn't mean they are ignorant.
Let me ask you this; would you have categorized Oprah Winfrey prior to her success as ignorant? Because she came from an admittedly impoverished background. Just wondering.
What is it that you mean by the remark, "their diction, attitude, and lack of personal respect."

Old 05-17-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
Quote:
That is true, but do you really think that all the people who are poor just are lazy and don't want a job?
Not at all... There are poor people for many reasons, however, welfare should be used to pay their bills and job training to help them get on their feet.. If they are poor, and don't want to be, they will climb out of the pit with that help. If they don't then they are most likely where they belong... You cannot expect hard working Americans to support those who are lazy or poor forever...

Quote:
Maybe we should raise the minimum wage?
I don't know...

Quote:
What about people who are permanent residents? Should they be allowed to work? I agree with you though that the employment laws regarding illegal aliens should be enforced stricter, but it will undoubtly raise prices.

ABSOLUTELY....I think anyone here Legally should have the right to pursue any job/education/etc. they wish.. It would make no sense to allow someone to be here, but not allow them to work...
As far as prices go.. I have no problem paying more for a product, compared to paying taxes for someone's welfare check that could be working instead...

Old 05-18-2007, 06:20 AM

110 posts, read 448,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
ueeegggggghhh...

So what is the answer...throw more tax dollars at the problem? Haven't we done that for at least a couple of decades too long now?

What ever happened to personal responsibility in general and parental responsibility when children are involved?

Also, I may as well point it out here and save someone else from having to write it....
"Well, if George Bush would or wouldn't (fill in the blank with any number of the same old tired arguments)"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies