Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 12:28 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
For some reason, the framers of the Cosntitution never struck me as the sort of people who'd insist 10-year olds should be coerced to recite loyalty pledges. Daily.

Loyality to country was a pretty serious issue back then, not that the left wingers could compehend that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 12:31 PM

429 posts, read 1,116,663 times
This was in fact posted before, but I stand by what I said.

I don't really care that the boy is standing up for what he believes in. Just like I believe that children can believe that they are atheist or religious at 10, or feel that they are gay at 10, he can be politically minded at ten as well. What bothers me is that he's standing up for something that he may not have full understanding of, in terms of social and political and historical context, and because of that, it kind of weirds me out.

I mean, on the very basic basic BASIC level, he just may feel that Uncle John and Uncle Larry should have a happy party like mommy and daddy did before he was born. He's not thinking about Uncle Larry and John having same sex benefits extended to them and having the right to adopt, and fighting conservative movements against them.

I guess I'm just bothered that such thoughts run through kids heads nowadays. When I was ten (note that I'm just 21. We're talking back in 1998, okay) I was just getting off of dolls, watching Cartoon Network all day after school, and wanting to buy the cute new Flares' pants that just hit the stores.

I guess the world has changed a lot more than I thought it did.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:32 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Do you think the founding fathers were designing this country based on who someone want to have sex with?
According to the religious right, yes, this is what I hear.

"This country was founded on Christian values!"

Old 11-16-2009, 12:36 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Loyality to country was a pretty serious issue back then, not that the left wingers could compehend that.
So much the less reason to have children recite pledges by rote. Serious issues deserve serious deliberation.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:37 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
its not about sex at all everyone knows thier secret agena. they want the handicap parking spaces at the mall

Old 11-16-2009, 12:38 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
It is supposedly a free country and I have resented the Pledge of Allegiance ever since the put the "under God" into it. I simply don't say that part. When it gets to the "Liberty and Justice for all" part I just think "in your dreams". We have a long, long way to go before equal justice is commonplace in our country. We do better than most places but justice for a really rich person is quite different than justice for an old lady not wanting to sell her house to a rapacious developer for his private profit.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:39 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
A 10 year old whose ideals are dictated solely by the media and solidly liberal parents.

How impressive.

And un-newsworthy.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:40 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Quote:
Yes, we lefties are just not "Real Americans" and are too stupid to comprehend loyalty.

Honestly, do you actually think before you post such steaming bovine feces?

Old 11-16-2009, 12:44 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Quote:
Do you think the founding fathers were designing this country based on who someone want to have sex with? Please!
The Founding Fathers had nothing to do with the Pledge of Allegiance. They were all dead and buried when it was written.

It was written by Francis Bellamy in 1892.

Now carry on with the Fox News Inspired Lefty Bashing.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:49 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,377 times
Quote:
Do you think the founding fathers were designing this country based on who someone want to have sex with? Please!
No, they didn't which is exactly why there should be NO laws stating who can & cannot get married. Does that make sense to you now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies