Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:08 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,105,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I don't see how restricting one's liberty (and I mean anyone's) can prevent anything. The government and it giant size IS the problem in our country. The government needs to downsize, return sovereignty to the states and get out of the way. More laws are the worst thing that can happen.

I do find an interesting observation in this thread. The one's who are espousing the "conservative" POV (actually I'm hearing a lot more libertarianism which is what conservatism used to be) seem to be coming from the atheist/agnostic camp. I am amused that the Christians who call themselves conservatives have not joined us and rallied in support for these very American ideals.

Either (a) they cannot because then this blows their whole mythology that atheist/agnostics are nothing but a bunch of left-wing, liberal, commies and simply cannot admit that or (b) they will not because they cannot be seen in agreement with atheists/agnostics on any point.
To expect the religious will walk their talk is too droll to contemplate.
Jesus said, give all you have to the poor and follow me.
Notice the high numbers who give Jesus lip service only?

Regards
DL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
So you're backing down from the "it's the moral thing to do!" to "it's the lesser of two immoral possibilities"?

Do I not get a say on which of these two evils I wish to deal with? I mean, maybe I'm a good enough shot to defend my property from the starving masses, maybe I'm not, but I think I am. Either way, shouldn't it be *my* choice whether or not to hoard or bargain or give away?

Let's get right down to the point here.

Where do *you* get any authority over *my* property?
I do not. The government does.

Regards
DL

Old 11-18-2009, 01:17 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
I do not. The government does.

Regards
DL

Government is just people, usually, notably, ungoverned.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Government is just people, usually, notably, ungoverned.
Then people do have a rights to what you have so I guess that my previous answer should have been that I get my rights to what you have through your government.

Regards
DL

Old 11-18-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Then people do have a rights to what you have so I guess that my previous answer should have been that I get my rights to what you have through your government.

Regards
DL

So you believe that some people are rightfully and morally subjugated to the will of others. That people are *not* equal. That property ultimately belongs to the rulers and not the ruled, and that government does not derive it's power from the consent of the government, but through forceful subjugation.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
So you believe that some people are rightfully and morally subjugated to the will of others. That people are *not* equal. That property ultimately belongs to the rulers and not the ruled, and that government does not derive it's power from the consent of the government, but through forceful subjugation.
You tell me.

If the government wants your property for some reason, can you stop them from taking it at the price they set?

Regards
DL

Old 11-18-2009, 01:42 PM

"So you believe that some people are rightfully and morally subjugated to the will of others."

Certainly.

Majority rule. Welcome to democracy.

Regards
DL

Old 11-18-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
"So you believe that some people are rightfully and morally subjugated to the will of others."

Certainly.

Majority rule. Welcome to democracy.

Regards
DL

Interesting.

So if ten people show up at your home and "vote" that you don't really need your home, your car, or your wife, you're okay with that? Because it's "democratic"?

Old 11-18-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
You tell me.

If the government wants your property for some reason, can you stop them from taking it at the price they set?

Regards
DL

If I show up at your home and demand money on penalty of imprisonment, does it matter if I'm "from the government"?

Old 11-18-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned

What's wrong? That's what you're asking.

What, you don't think with an extra thirty percent of their income back in their pocket people without a car couldn't buy one? Or people living in an apartment couldn't buy into a home?

I mean, your beloved government is already taking thirty percent. Church only asks for ten. Your government is getting three times as much as what God asks, but that's not enough for you? And it still isn't solving the problem you say exists?

*And* you want to claim it's morally justified?

Or is it the intent? What if those ten people at your home are demanding you give up your home so they can give it to a poor family with starving kids and crippled wife? Does that make it okay for them to bodily drag you out of your house? Maybe taze you a couple of times for good measure? That's moral and righteous?

Last edited by june 7th; 11-20-2009 at 07:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies