Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:25 AM

37,973 posts, read 22,157,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Discount has always given me the best service, followed by Allstate, and now they will be gone. As anyone who lives here knows, the Sky Harbor IS the taxi business in Phoenix. Perhaps I should start packing my prayer mat.

"Phoenix runs Sky Harbor International Airport, and city officials say they carefully vetted the winners - Visum Transportation, Apache Taxi and AAA Cab Service Inc. Their contract will take effect Feb. 1 if the council approves it on Wednesday. Visum would provide 20 cabs, Apache 20 and AAA 140

Public records show that Visum Transportation is a new company. Its parent company, Visum Investments LLC, filed paperwork with Arizona Corporation Commission last December, and Visum registered with the [ Department of State in October.

An Arizona Republic public-records search disclosed that Naini Abbas, Apache's owner, and Soroosh Ghafaripanah, owner of Visum Transportation, both listed the same two and Tempe properties as previous addresses.

All three bidders hail from Iran, but Dibazar and Abbas have lived in the United States for decades and have been longtime players in the local taxi business.

Discount, Allstate Cab Company and AAA currently pick up passengers at the airport. Discount and Allstate are poised to lose the taxi contract that is up for a vote on Wednesday because their bids on how much they would pay the city annually were too low."

http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/2009/11/17/20091117taxi1117.html
Let me guess, no dogs, Jews or alcohol will be allowed in their cabs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 11:26 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Yes, Deezus, that is the case with the 2 Iranian families I know as well, they came here after the Revolution and also happen to be Jewish. Iran was a very different place years ago.
The two Iranian dudes I worked with in Germany self-identified as Muslims, but I'd be hard pressed to call them religious. Drank as fish, for one thing.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:30 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Breakdown of religious affiliation of Iranian-Americans..

Old 11-17-2009, 12:12 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,685 times
Note to self: next trip to Phoenix make sure to bring a ham for the taxi ride from the airport.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:12 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
One of the criterias should be that the majority ownership should be United States citizens
Oh GOD! There are more!!

T-Mobile - Deutsche Telekom!!!

Nestle - Swiss Owned!!!!!

And OM double G Church's Chicken is owned by the Dubai Investment Group!!!!

Old 11-17-2009, 06:03 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,812,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh GOD! There are more!!

T-Mobile - Deutsche Telekom!!!

Nestle - Swiss Owned!!!!!

And OM double G Church's Chicken is owned by the Dubai Investment Group!!!!
'Church's Chicken'? Oh nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-17-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The two Iranian dudes I worked with in Germany self-identified as Muslims, but I'd be hard pressed to call them religious. Drank as fish, for one thing.
When I made the weekly trip, I usually ended up with an Iraqi driver, who was usually friendly, and I didn't really care if he was Muslim or not. While I find the Muslim religion rather absurd, I don't really have a bias against them - I was just taking a stand for Discount Cab.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Note to self: next trip to Phoenix make sure to bring a ham for the taxi ride from the airport.
You are probably ok... unless you offer him a ham sammich as a tip.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:34 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
When I was shopping with a relative in Fairfax VA, we came across a lot of nail salons & 80% were owned by hispanics.
Pssst...those were Vietnamese...

Old 11-17-2009, 06:36 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Discount has always given me the best service, followed by Allstate, and now they will be gone. As anyone who lives here knows, the Sky Harbor IS the taxi business in Phoenix. Perhaps I should start packing my prayer mat.

"Phoenix runs Sky Harbor International Airport, and city officials say they carefully vetted the winners - Visum Transportation, Apache Taxi and AAA Cab Service Inc. Their contract will take effect Feb. 1 if the council approves it on Wednesday. Visum would provide 20 cabs, Apache 20 and AAA 140

Public records show that Visum Transportation is a new company. Its parent company, Visum Investments LLC, filed paperwork with Arizona Corporation Commission last December, and Visum registered with the [ Department of State in October.

An Arizona Republic public-records search disclosed that Naini Abbas, Apache's owner, and Soroosh Ghafaripanah, owner of Visum Transportation, both listed the same two and Tempe properties as previous addresses.

All three bidders hail from Iran, but Dibazar and Abbas have lived in the United States for decades and have been longtime players in the local taxi business.

Discount, Allstate Cab Company and AAA currently pick up passengers at the airport. Discount and Allstate are poised to lose the taxi contract that is up for a vote on Wednesday because their bids on how much they would pay the city annually were too low."

http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/2009/11/17/20091117taxi1117.html
That's what happens in capitalism... Did you expect that a given group of people couldn't find success in capitalism because they aren't WASP's?

I should also remind you that this is a survival of the fittest situation - it is purely unpatriotic to ever (EVER) challenge of criticize that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies