Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 07:07 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This happened to another guy a few months ago too.

The agency trashed his rep publically too. Said he had no authority to publish any papers.

Does this mean that the American government is authoritarian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 07:08 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Fortunately, I don't speak of politics at school. I don't want my colleagues or advisor possibly affecting my postdoc career.
Good thing. I'd fire you in a heartbeat. Not only are you ignorant of science and susceptible to right-wing stupidity, but you lie about the article. You'd be out on your butt. Best keep silent.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:12 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,507 times
Default " It's A Mirace The U.S. Is Still In Existence" !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The left wingers only accept brainless sheep or you're out.
Greeting's ,

As we seriously consider the premise of a "Brainless Sheep" mindset permeating so much of America's highest levels of government ...

Perhaps it is most accurate for us to incredulously deduce that our beloved nations continued precarious survivability is without
doubt due to a " Incredible Miracle" from on High !!!

Political "Looney Tunes" in high governmental leadership positions whom insist on a constant supply of suborinate "Clones" to carry
out their incredibly destructive dictates are rapidly and naively proceeding with the trampling our beloved American Democracy
into the dust of history .....

Of course the post referenced above by dcsldcd is just one more unparalled example of the danger our nation is facing due the ever increasing
numbers of radical political folks whom truly have "No Clue" as to the destructiveness of their "Idiotic Actions" .

If there was ever a time to pray for the America that we love ... now is the time ! ..... That is of course while it still remains "Legal'
for us to do so .....

Thanks / Lamar

Last edited by L.Funk; 11-17-2009 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: Spacing / Thanks / Lamar

Old 11-17-2009, 07:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.
-Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-17-2009, 07:36 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Imagine that, upset because the EPA is holding a lid on the expansion of coal mining. The critic should be happy! The jobs created would only be further exploitation of Central American laborers anyway and the profits off their labor would not be benefitting the U.S. economy it would all be parked in a numbered offshore account, out of reach, out of sight, out of mind. How much more of this Capitalist Expansion can the planet take? Don't you right wingnuts notice everything is dying! What isn't dying is being born deformed or dysfunctional. Including humans! The number of people being born with an IQ below 65 is now around 1:166. That should scare the **** out of anyone with an IQ over 100 reading this. I don't much care about Global Warming as a serious threat to makind but the EPA's scope is wider than that one issue. I am an employee of a Christian house of worship. Personally I am an agnostic. If I were to blog about my employment, use my employers name and espouse my Agnostic leanings and at the same time be highly critical of mainline Christianity it would take about two weeks before an exit interview was arranged.

H

Old 11-18-2009, 12:53 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,962 times
This is precisely how ""consensus"" is built within gov't organizations. Scientists who agree with grant funders get funded; scientists who do not agree with funders do not get funded. Logically, the only funded community left are all in agreement with the gov't policy. Double-plus good if the now out of work scientist gets funding from corporate sources, then we don't have to look at their work, we just declare them "shills".

Science, especially climate research, is not consensus, it's applying the scientific method.

If this isn't authoritarian, I don't know what is.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:06 AM

737 posts, read 1,176,965 times
Sounds more like they disagreed with the idea of Cap and Trade as a method to reduce the effects of green house gases as opposed to disagreeing with global warming or climate change.

Quote:
Laurie Williams and Allan Zabel, a married couple and EPA lawyers in San Francisco, have been railing against cap-and-trade proposals for a while. Most recently, they had a sharply-worded op-ed in the Washington Post that said current legislation would be ineffective and even counterproductive.
Counterproductive? How could Cap and Trade be counterproductive if global warming or climate change don't exist? In that couples op-ed in the Washington Post they talk about the ineffectiveness of Cap and Trade to reduce green house gases.

Quote:
The House and Senate climate bills are not a first step in the right direction. They would give away valuable rights in cap-and-trade permits and create a trillion-dollar carbon-offsets market that will not lead to needed reductions.
It sounds like the couple recognizes climate change as a problem but disagree with one of the proposed solutions.

The thread title is very misleading, but a nice failed attempt at a political swipe

Old 11-18-2009, 02:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
Counterproductive? How could Cap and Trade be counterproductive if global warming or climate change don't exist?
I haven't read their reasons they gave but it's pretty simple to understand why. This will raise energy costs and in certain cases like the cement industry they will be taking it from both ends since the process for making it produces so much CO2. They'll move their operations to countries like China... In fact it could make things worse as the environmental laws there are pretty much non existent and you'll have increased mercury and other nasty stuff that is truly detrimental.

All those emissions are already controlled and regulated here. For example the US accounts for about 3% of the global pool of Mercury emisssions, 1% of that is from coal fired power plants. Asia accounts for 50% with a majority of it coming from China followed by India.

Even if those industries didn't move their operations from this country at the rate China and India are going they would quickly overtake any reductions we make.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:27 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Here's the video:

YouTube - The Huge Mistake - Climate Change Solutions 2009

Right after they mention being attorneys for the EPA for 20 years they explicitly state it's not the views of the EPA or the Obama administration. They simply give their credentials.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:24 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
Yeah, the thread title is a bit misleading...

The EPA is perfectly in their rights... especially if they are NOT firing them. If you work for any business and have a dissenting attitude, the company can exercise the right to dismiss you. I don't see the issue with this.

How can you work for a company and be anathema to their vision?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies