Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 02:13 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
And while we are praying for new leadership, the Bible instructs us to submit to the leaders that God has placed over us and not speak evil against them. Reread my post where I gave scriptures that support this Momokey.

Wonder what Jesus would have advised about which candidate to vote for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 08:42 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
I guess the kill Bush t- shirts were equally offensive to the Left.
Not to mention the movie, "Death Of A President" (2006) which was about the assassination of George W. Bush.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:23 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Good grief, the reference is to one verse of the 109th Psalm, not the entire chapter.
Except that, as with any Biblical reference, it really does need to be seen in context. And you see it in context much more clearly when you read the rest of the chapter.

Of course, throughout my nearly six decades on the planet, I have encountered an awful lot of people who simply do not understand the concept of context, whether it be textual, historical or cultural context. What is important to such people is not the true meaning of a biblical passage, but the literal meaning of only the words quoted. And such may be the case with this quote as used on bumper stickers and whatever. But they should really consider the simple fact that there are people who will read the thing in their Bibles and read the surrounding text and take the deeper meaning to heart. Not to mention the fact that the author of the Psalms was not a Christian, having lived several hundred years before the time of Christ. And Christ Jesus actually preached against such thinking as is expressed by David in this Psalm.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:30 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Funny how the anti-religion liberals on this forum all of a sudden find a verse from the Bible relevant.

You folks take stupidity to a new high with every passing day.

The sad part is that you don't even realize it.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
please explain to me where in that verse it says he will be murdered?

unless you are putting words into the verse that are not there, I just dont see it.
It's really not 'outrage' about the verse itself - it's concern over the CONTEXT of the verse, thus the deeper meaning in the entire passage. Please look at the entire psalm and realize that it is about wishing death and destruction on a man and destruction of his family.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:38 AM

921 posts, read 1,132,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Yeah. This is DISGUSTING. There has never been so anger and violence aimed at a President.

I send my love and well wishes to the Obama family.
I agree with you.

Like I said in a post on another thread, all of these hate threads towards Obama will eventually cause the "City Data" system to crash.

Where were all of those haters when bush was lying to his country during all of his 8 year term?

These people are just trying to stir up hate & there is going to be some fool out there who'll be persuaded to follow through with violence towards Obama.

A lot of them need to calm down & get there heads out of the 1960's.

I would also like to send my prayers to Obama & his family.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:38 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
It's really not 'outrage' about the verse itself - it's concern over the CONTEXT of the verse, thus the deeper meaning in the entire passage. Please look at the entire psalm and realize that it is about wishing death and destruction on a man and destruction of his family.
They're not quoting the entire psalm, only one line...

Old 11-18-2009, 09:39 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,193,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
This may be going too far. A conservative group is now making tee shirts, teddy bears and bumber stickers that say "Pray for Obama Psalm 109:8"

Even if I didn't like Bush, I never wanted him to get violently murdered.
Christian fundamentalists are in the same league as radical muslims, listen to this interview...

YouTube - Frank Schaeffer warns against fundamentalist christians wanting to harm President Obama

Old 11-18-2009, 09:42 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,544,828 times
But these are not Christians if they are not doing what Christ would do. Would Christ do the things that these nutters are putting out there??
No!

Old 11-18-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
I guess the kill Bush t- shirts were equally offensive to the Left.
Never saw one, but yes, I would have found that just as offensive. Of course I don't consider myself to be "left", but that's beside the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies