Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 06:50 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,179,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Hmmm....who here wasn't posting that night? Somebody check the logs.
Funniest post of the day!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 10:27 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,041,650 times
That's not cool. Race relations are that bad on the East Coast?

Old 11-19-2009, 04:52 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,191,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Potential Right Wing comebacks to this thread

1. "How do we know the people who burned a cross on their lawn had racist intentions. They could just be spreading the gospel"

5. "What about the gang members who spraypaint "Black Power" on the house of a white person"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
I really like how the liberals automatically jump to the conclusion that this is racially motivated or it is definitely domestic terrorism without knowing anything about the people or person who did this[...] How does anyone know that some kids didn't do this for a gag, a bad one at that, but it's possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's terrible but I've become completely jaded when it comes to these kinds of stories of persecution and harassment and what goes through my mind, in order, is;

1. Teenagers. A stupid prank that dumbassed teens think is "badass" or funny.
2. Somone doing it to themselves to call attention or highlight a their cause.
3. People actually believing this crap and being horrible human beings.

I don't know what this particuar story is all about but I hope it gets cleared up and the guilty parties are punished for whatever their reason was for doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Sometimes I wonder if some of these racially-motivated attacks aren't actual liberals trying to make conservatives look bad or feed into the conservative = racist image that liberals have been harping about. A long shot but it is possible with all this anti-conservative rhetoric I've been seeing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
On the main topic, it is likely to come out this was nothing more than a teenage prank. Possibly even by black teenagers. Most of these type crimes are perpetuated by same-race criminals and victim.
So you called both of em, azriverfan. It would be funny if it weren't so tragically predictable.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:45 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,657,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
So you called both of em, azriverfan. It would be funny if it weren't so tragically predictable.
Yeah, I know (I was part of the conversation earlier). Freudian projection, anyone?

Old 11-19-2009, 05:57 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,295,068 times
People try their damndest to prove racism doesn't exist so much, that when something does happen they have to turn it around so its those evil minorities' fault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOr5zlUc0QY

Old 11-19-2009, 06:03 PM

844 posts, read 1,278,152 times
"But Racism is a myth created by liberals!"

LOL. Its the rise in far right racism from the mainstream conservative wing (post black president) that is keeping moderates and independents FAR away from having anything to do with these yahoos.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:20 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,644,621 times
how old are you? how could you not know the significance of a burning cross?

its tied to the KKK. they often did this [burn crosses] to intimidate black families or their allies.

i thought this was common knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I know that burning a Cross is a bad thing but it seems like there is much more to it.

Am I missing something? Does it mean something else too?

Old 11-19-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
how old are you? how could you not know the significance of a burning cross?

its tied to the KKK. they often did this [burn crosses] to intimidate black families or their allies.

i thought this was common knowledge.
Actually, this person might be quite young. I work with young people (18 or so), and they really don't understand racism in some ways because it hasn't touched them the way it has some of us who are older. We should assume some posters are this young. Someone on another thread self-identified as a high school senior.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:03 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,981,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WEST WHEATFIELD, Pa., Nov. 18 (UPI) -- Investigators said they were trying to identify the people who lit a cross on the front lawn of a white Pittsburgh-area couple with a black adopted son.

Joe and Mary Walbeck of West Wheatfield told WTAE-TV, Pittsburgh, the family was "hurt" by the cross-burning.

Cross burned at home of mixed-race family - UPI.com
The cynic in me thinks maybe they lit the cross themselves so they could be the neighborhood heroes by being victims of racism and then watch all the money flood in from sympathetic people around the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
I really like how the liberals automatically jump to the conclusion that this is racially motivated or it is definitely domestic terrorism without knowing anything about the people or person who did this. Meanwhile they screamed about Nasan being just a nut and we shouldn't jump to conclusions without knowing all the facts... How does anyone know that some kids didn't do this for a gag, a bad one at that, but it's possible.
So true. The liberals didn't waste any time bashing christians without even knowing if the perps were christian or not and yet they refuse to believe that Hasan is a muslim terrorist.

Last edited by renault; 11-19-2009 at 08:16 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
The cynic in me thinks maybe they lit the cross themselves so they could be the neighborhood heroes by being victims of racism and then watch all the money flood in from sympathetic people around the country.

So true. The liberals didn't waste any time bashing christians without even knowing if the perps were christian or not and yet they refuse to believe that Hasan is a muslim terrorist.
Renault, did you realize that someone responded to those very concerns in a post just a few posts above yours? How can we move this conversation forward? And can you give me an example of someone blasting Christians on this thread? I know I haven't--I would never bash someone for their faith because that is not the kind of person I am. I might, however, gently critique someone for being hypocritical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies