Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 09:44 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many here that complain about smokers are lighting up their pot right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 10:24 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I wonder how many here that complain about smokers are lighting up their pot right now?
Never tried pot nor do I have any intentions of experimenting with it. Pot should stay illegal IMO ... but that is for another thread ...

Old 11-18-2009, 11:27 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
They're rebelling. What better way to rebel, after all, than to do what some of the biggest corporations in America want you to do?

Old 11-18-2009, 02:03 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
It can provide a much-needed quick hit of neurochemicals and can be a way to meet people. Same reasons people have always had cigarettes.
I did a report in college for my sociology/psychology classes that dealt with smokers vs. non-smokers. I wanted to see if it was easier or harder to break into a group of people you didn't know while smoking or not.

I found it was a LOT easier to break into a group of people if you ask for a light, or offer a cigarette than if you just walked up and tried talking without one. It's almost like you already have something in common so it breaks that first bit of awkwardness. I tried it in a few different venues (parks, a lake, the ocean, bars, concerts etc.) and it was pretty spot on.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:18 PM

432 posts, read 605,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I found it was a LOT easier to break into a group of people if you ask for a light, or offer a cigarette than if you just walked up and tried talking without one. It's almost like you already have something in common so it breaks that first bit of awkwardness. I tried it in a few different venues (parks, a lake, the ocean, bars, concerts etc.) and it was pretty spot on.

Yea.. It's because smokers have been demonized by the right and the left. The right wants to outlaw it for health reasons and the left wants to tax it to fund their welfare and set an example of how bad smoking is to the public.

Smokers are a demonized group in society because people (on this thread even) want to control other people. They have nothing better to do in their lives than preach to other people about a stupid cigarette. Do they not already know smoking increases their health risks? So shut up, stop the preaching, they already know, and they're not going to listen to a control freak.

Also, these authoritarians on the left and right are usually very judgmental people, thus other people don't want to socialize with them.

Thus smokers know, that if you smoke, you probably know about how crazy these authoritarians are, and are more of a let live kind of person that just wants to enjoy their time on earth.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:29 PM

4,661 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post

Thus smokers know, that if you smoke, you probably know about how crazy these authoritarians are, and are more of a let live kind of person that just wants to enjoy their time on earth.
This is why a woman who smokes is instantly more attractive to me. The woman won't always meet my expectations, but statistically, it's a great filter, no pun intended, to apply to make sure it's only the cool chicks you try to get to know.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:43 PM

47 posts, read 77,138 times
people are dramatic about smokers on here

Old 12-21-2009, 01:48 PM

479 posts, read 1,555,484 times
I have never smoked. Ever. Not because I'm dead against it or anything. I actually am against a ban on smoking in bars here in South Dakota. But when I was a kid, my dad would haul us around on long trips pretty much every weekend. He was a rural mail carrier and smoker, so the car was always dusty. He would smoke on these trips, and usually have the heat on too high for us. Basically there was an intersection 9 miles out of town that he would stop so my sister and I could throw up. Just a horrible combination of environmental factors. So the thought of smoking never crossed my mind.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:06 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,886,507 times
Not gonna lie, still makes you look cool, like a rebel. It can be a turn off to girls, but a lot of times they smoke more than males. I'm an on again off again smoker at age 21. Usually smoke for about a month and a half then quit for a few months, just starting an off again cycle. I smoke until I get sick of it. I start dipping then it takes me a week to chew the first can, by then I'm sick of that, then don't need to light up for a while.

Some said ten dollars a pack? That's an insane price, I pay about $4.30 for premium brands (marlboro and Camel), some brands are as low $2.00.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:09 PM

841 posts, read 2,260,955 times
My guess is that he/she doesn't want to look like the average American

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies