Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:45 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times

Advertisements

First off, anyone who thinks this is a conservative/liberal issue is flat out IGNORANT. Second, it's not exactly a PC issue either so if that's your only angle you arn't much brighter than the IGNORANT fools I've alreay mentioned.

Kids have been experimented on so to speak since the beginning of time. Certainly since the begining of group education and our schools are not exception. This goes for PUBLIC and PRIVATE and if you don't believe that then, you got it, you are IGNORANT as well.

There was a shift from using fear and intimidation to praising them up and down for anything they did, all in the name of motivation. Clearly it's not a this or that issue, the trick is somewhere in the middle. Factor in laws (privacy and whatnot) and teachers with their own ideas then you get what we have today.

Finger pointing to a specifc group to blame only highlights how uneducated we really are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

2,087 posts, read 1,765,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Care to discuss with me rationally why it's a ridiculous assertion, rather than just saying it is?

why not support your side ? everything is just attack liberals, they want equality, they want kids to play,they don't hate people based on religion or skin color. They must be evil.

507 posts, read 678,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
After the mid-term, my French teacher in High School re-arranged the seats from worst test score to best test score, highest scores sat in the back, lowest in the front. Can't recall a single parent whining about her poor front seat baby's self esteem. We kept those seats through the final.

I had a European History teacher that used to send 6 students to the blackboard with chalk, every Friday. Then she'd ask questions from the homework reading assignments for a week. The students at the board couldn't hand off their chalk to a seated student until they answered 5 questions right in a row (NO multiple choice). As soon as they missed one, they had to start all over. Some of them stood up there the entire class period. We did it for a full class year so I guess no parents whined about their low self esteem, peanut allergies, cultural bias or their ADD preventing them from remembering what they read.

That was in the late 60s.
I honestly would have been mortified in either of those situations. I think it's fine to let students be aware of how compare to other students in class, but do so anonymously. From second grade until I gradated from college, I was often presented with lists of all the test scores or class averages, but everyone's personal score was listed using numbers or other IDs, never the student's name. This allowed me to compare myself to others, and also feel motivated to work harder if I happened to have a lower score, but it let me do so with some privacy.

I also think it's fine to acknowledge top students, if that's all the teacher did, I see no problem with it.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
The list showed the top x students, not the bottom y students. It rewarded success and did nothing to enumerate the less than successful.

if there are 25 kids then its not hard to figure out who never makes the list is it?

Old 11-18-2009, 11:47 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,274,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
why not support your side ? everything is just attack liberals, they want equality, they want kids to play,they don't hate people based on religion or skin color. They must be evil.
I asserted that leftists crave authority and regulations, and strive to find equality where none exists. You challenged me and I wish to hear the basis for that challenge.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:48 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
A Northfield Minnesota teacher was told to discontinue what they were doing.

The teacher, in an attempt to motivate students. put the names and scores of the top students of a math test on the blackboard.

One parent complained that it violated data-privacy laws.

The teacher was told to discontinue doing that cuz it sends the wrong message.

A retired teacher was quoted in the Minneapolis Tribune that doing that destroys the " team" concept of classrooms.

--" team concept "---------?????????????

I thought --"team concept"-- applies more to high school athletic teams and even there they publish in the newspaper the individual high scorer, leading rusher etc.

I'm glad the "pc" hasn't moved from the classrooms to the sports teams.

Did you notice in your quoted article that it was a parent who was the source of this PC idiocy?

It's easy to point your finger at the schools. The reality is that schools have been the targets of parent lawsuits over this kind of idiocy for decades. PC doesn't arise in schools. It comes from parents and their lawyers.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:48 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Competition is life. Its in our DNA. Before being civilized (and being transformed into pansies), we had to fight over food, over land, over territory... even over women. Competition is the drive that warrants the reward.

How can you be proud of an accomplishment if you did nothing to earn a reward? Some 5 year old playing baseball will go out and sit in center field picking flowers and playing with butterflies and when the ball flies over his head and the other team scores the game winning run, you give him a trophy?

Life is about competition. Its the driving force which makes people excel. The reward of that competition is what makes people wake up every day trying to achieve. Life is a struggle.

Acknowledging and rewarding lack of competition tells the little baseball player that attendance at practice, running sprints, and taking some batting lessons are not worthy of anything. That effort isn't required to play the game and "win". In the end, you will end up with nothing more than a bunch of 10 year olds who can't throw a ball 10 feet in the right direction playing ring around the rosie in the outfield.

Face it... life is a competition, and its the drive we as humans need to excel and contribute which in turn provides for society as a whole. Failure is not a bad thing. Failure is acknowledgment that you tried and made a mistake. That your effort was good, but there are still some things you need to work on. Failure is a lesson. Without these lessons, nobody ever improves.

The education of those values starts from the day a child enters the world. There is no on switch at age X.
Failures to teach children the importance of success only fosters mediocre. Why go through the extra effort to excel when there is no incentive or reward? This is precisely why communism fails.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Competition is life. Its in our DNA. Before being civilized (and being transformed into pansies), we had to fight over food, over land, over territory... even over women. Competition is the drive that warrants the reward.

How can you be proud of an accomplishment if you did nothing to earn a reward? Some 5 year old playing baseball will go out and sit in center field picking flowers and playing with butterflies and when the ball flies over his head and the other team scores the game winning run, you give him a trophy?

Life is about competition. Its the driving force which makes people excel. The reward of that competition is what makes people wake up every day trying to achieve. Life is a struggle.

Acknowledging and rewarding lack of competition tells the little baseball player that attendance at practice, running sprints, and taking some batting lessons are not worthy of anything. That effort isn't required to play the game and "win". In the end, you will end up with nothing more than a bunch of 10 year olds who can't throw a ball 10 feet in the right direction playing ring around the rosie in the outfield.

Face it... life is a competition, and its the drive we as humans need to excel and contribute which in turn provides for society as a whole. Failure is not a bad thing. Failure is acknowledgment that you tried and made a mistake. That your effort was good, but there are still some things you need to work on. Failure is a lesson. Without these lessons, nobody ever improves.

The education of those values starts from the day a child enters the world. There is no on switch at age X.

So you disagree with all the research on child development? Ok? Shall we just become neanderthals again? Maybe if there are 20 kids in the class there should only be 15 lunches served. Let them fight it out, life is competition. I guess the bully wins. Guess what it's the parents yelling at their kids from the sidelines that end up with poorly adjusted children.

Life is more about cooperation than competition, this is no longer the dark ages. We don't fight each other with clubs over deer meat or a piece of land.

Please do some actual research before asserting your opinion. There is endless research on child development and not much will support early childhood competition. But it was probably done by thoose darn educated liberals

Old 11-18-2009, 11:57 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Did you notice in your quoted article that it was a parent who was the source of this PC idiocy?

It's easy to point your finger at the schools. The reality is that schools have been the targets of parent lawsuits over this kind of idiocy for decades. PC doesn't arise in schools. It comes from parents and their lawyers.
Good point! Shouldn't conservatives be happy that an individual stopped the government from threatening their kids privacy? You would think they wouldn't like the evil government ranking them.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I asserted that leftists crave authority and regulations, and strive to find equality where none exists. You challenged me and I wish to hear the basis for that challenge.

your basis??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies