Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:57 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times

Advertisements

A Northfield Minnesota teacher was told to discontinue what they were doing.

The teacher, in an attempt to motivate students. put the names and scores of the top students of a math test on the blackboard.

One parent complained that it violated data-privacy laws.

The teacher was told to discontinue doing that cuz it sends the wrong message.

A retired teacher was quoted in the Minneapolis Tribune that doing that destroys the " team" concept of classrooms.

--" team concept "---------?????????????

I thought --"team concept"-- applies more to high school athletic teams and even there they publish in the newspaper the individual high scorer, leading rusher etc.

I'm glad the "pc" hasn't moved from the classrooms to the sports teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 08:08 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

The teacher, in an attempt to motivate students. put the names and scores of the top students of a math test on the blackboard.

A retired teacher was quoted in the Minneapolis Tribune that doing that destroys the " team" concept of classrooms.

I thought --"team concept"-- applies more to high school athletic teams and even there they publish in the newspaper the individual high scorer, leading rusher etc.

Teachers are expected to become glorified babysitters nowadays. Crackberry addicted cubicle drones (aka the parents) simply dump off their son/daughter and complain when they don't see their child learning. "Do you read with them at night?" is typically asked by the teacher. "No, I'm too busy tracking my stocks and playing on facebook/twitter". It's only going to worse. Much worse. How do I know? I'm a serial teacher dater.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:11 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,630 times
what a bunch of liberal bs. They had the same thing when I was in grade school. I hardly ever (if ever) made the top 10 list, but I sure worked my arse off trying for it. And then when you DO finally hit that list it is the greatest feeling in the world.

I hope that teacher had some balls and did it anyway.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:12 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,226 times
Quote:
Oh but it has.
Certain kids sports teams play against each other where there is no score, no points, no competition,no losers, no winners, ergo, no sense of achievement,no accomplishment etc.
Liberal values have really been eroding our society.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:15 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

Do you have a link for this story? What grade was this? That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard; when I was in high school those who excelled in academics were acknowledged just as often as those who excelled in athletics or the arts…I never heard of a “team concept” when it comes to learning.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:16 AM

The new discipline is to praise the achievers and ignore the underachievers, in lieu of the "old school" way of negative reinforcement of the misbehaving and underachievers. While that may not be a bad step, this idea of a neutral stance towards all levels of achievement smacks of equality among the unequal.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:20 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
I don't see how this is a PC or a liberal mindset exactly.

A stupid mindset, perhaps? Absolutely.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:23 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Oh but it has.
Certain kids sports teams play against each other where there is no score, no points, no competition,no losers, no winners, ergo, no sense of achievement,no accomplishment etc.
Liberal values have really been eroding our society.
What has being a liberal got to do with it? I am a liberal, and I can tell you when it comes to seeing parents molly-coddle, and baby their kids, it's an equal opportunity game. It's got nothing to do with political affiliation, but a lot to do with being an active parent. If my kids fail at something, I tell them I expect better, none of this buy the kids a prize nonsense.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 11-18-2009 at 09:33 AM..

Old 11-18-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
I don't see how this is a PC or a liberal mindset exactly.

A stupid mindset, perhaps? Absolutely.
It's certainly leftist since authority figures are looking to crack down on anyone trying to distinguish a certain set of achievers from the rest of the class.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:24 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,277 times
Its more of the same.

Its the push to make the outcomes for everybody the same. They are trying to do it in income, in healthcare, in education.

Its the "fair" mentality that is driving this ridiculous agenda. Some people were never informed as children that "life isn't fair". Moreso, they have continued to drive our society away from personal responsibility by ensuring that regardless of the personal effort, you are only as good as the median score.

Its all about collectivism. Loss of personal responsibility and policy which drives only the "team" is going to be the downfall of this country. Attempts to "equal the playing field" is going to put the playing field under water.

People are so afraid of hurting somebodies feelings, they are attempting to remove personal responsibility completely from the equation. The thought that utopia can be achieved by making everybody oompa loompas is downright funny... and even more so scary because people on the far left actually believe it.

Wake up people. This country wasnt founded on those principles and for 200 years, we did alright. Can we please get back to the policy which was the foundation of this country and stop dealing with feel good non-sense.

The kids that got the best scores should be rewarded. Put a gold star next to their name. Write their name on the board. SHOW the other students that their is postive outcomes for those who express personal responsibility and effort. This team stuff is utterly ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies