Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 09:48 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,878,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You think tossing people into prison for refusing to get government approved healthcare is better then nothing? A tyrannical government is better then nothing too, I suppose. Mao, Castro, Stalin, Chavez, all of them were better then nothing, I suppose.
i have to agree with this post. i think it is insane that people would support a bill with mandatory fines and potential jail sentences for people who do not want to buy a service, in this case insurance.

for those who think insurance is a racket, why would you want it to be mandatory?
here is the rule:
Everybody plays. A majority of uninsured Americans, now put at 46 million, would be ushered under the health insurance umbrella. Many have stayed out by preference, taking their chances on staying healthy, but others have been kept out because of health issues; now joining up would be mandatory. Individuals without access to employer-based coverage would have to buy a policy at a new "exchange" from a private insurer or potentially—the proposed public option—from the government. Information in your tax return would tell Uncle Sam whether you were on board. If not, you'd probably pay a fine—possibly a flat fee of, say, $750 for those above the poverty line or a percentage of adjusted gross income (2.5 percent is under discussion). The penalty could not exceed the average national premium of a basic insurance plan in the exchange.

people with no current coverage could be jolted. Total yearly premiums for a plan one step up from the bottom could be less than $1,000 for a single adult of any age earning $19,000 a year, but more than $5,000 for someone age 50 or older earning the subsidized maximum of $43,000. For a family of four, annual premiums might start at about $1,600 at incomes of about $40,000 regardless of age and nearly $11,000 at the $88,000 income maximum for a policyholder age 50 or older. Higher-income earners could be hit much harder. (us news and world report)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 09:51 AM

807 posts, read 1,299,886 times
I voted for Obama and I was in no way a George W Bush fan, but on a 100% scale, I'll give Obama a 34%..

Too many bailouts, a "Stimulus" plan that funded wasteful pet projects and did little to create jobs, the ever-expanding National debt, the appointment of ethnocentric justices (AKA Sotomayor) to the Supreme Court and although I support Health Care reform, his relationship with the pharmaceutical companies coupled with the requirement that ALL Americans purchase insurance makes me very nervous..

The thing is: He's only been in office for ONE Year.. Wait until Next year when he rolls out his "Comprehensive Illegal Immigration Amnesty Plan".. Yes, at a time when Millions of Americans are out of work, why not encourage the importation of more poverty at the expense of the American taxpayer?..

The stage is set for a Republican takeover of the Congress in 2010.. Sadly though, have they REALLY learned fiscal responsibility in 4 years? And if they can't be any worse than the Democrats, what does this say about our political system?

Old 11-18-2009, 09:52 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,611,208 times
A despot wannabe with the leadership skills of a mouse. Great traits to "lead" us into oblivion. What is worse than F-? Zero.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:57 AM

20,410 posts, read 12,327,164 times
I wanted to support Obama on Afghanistan. I applauded him when he stated that it was a war of necessity.

However considering his actions of late on the subject, it seems he has abandoned that position as well.

That leaves me with

Not approving of:
The difference between his comments on spending (that we are spending too much) and his actions (proposing multiple trillions more).
His inability to shake hands without losing control of his spine.
Abandoning Poland. Further I disapprove of his abandoning Poland on the anniversary of Russia’s invasion of that country.
His handeling of the economy. He stated the stimulus package would keep unemployment below 8.5% it is now at 10.3%
His administration’s reporting on jobs created/saved which seems filled with out right fraud.
His inability to comply with his own rhetoric concerning being the most transparent president in history. He simply lied about that.
In light of the above, I do not approve of his closed door negotiations with drug companies to get their support for healthcare reform. We still do not know what he agreed with them about over that.

I do not agree with his having Goldman Sachs running the economic policy of America right now. Considering what these investment banks got us into.
I do not agree with the Obama administration giving H1N1 vaccines to the 5 largest investment banks when average Americans cannot get the vaccine.
I do not agree with Obama letting Holder have a job…. Much less be the ATTY GEN. And I certainly do not agree with trying illegal enemy combatants in American Federal Courts. They should be treated as spy’s. The proper place for trying them is in Military Tribunals.

I don’t agree with his snubbing Great Britain yet caving to Russia. I do not agree with his snubbing the Dalai Lama to avoid upsetting the Chi-Coms.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:03 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,422,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
How do you feel President Obama has handled his first 10 months in office?

He's been doing OK. He hasn't made any drastic, desperate moves even though his predecessor left a huge mess behind. He'll spend much of his first term trying to repair the Bush damage, which is very extensive.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:06 AM

153 posts, read 238,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalarie View Post
He scares me as I am a senior citizen.

Ditto and I'm not (quite) a senior citizen yet. I'm scared for my kids and grandkids.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:18 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,322,997 times
If we are not out of Iraq and Afghanistan soon, I will not be voting for him again. Health reform is a joke. As an advocate for the single-payer system, I'm pissed. A single-payer system is the only way to get money back into the consumers pocket. Along with tax reform, it will give American businesses a chance at survival. Employee based coverage is crushing us. I am very angry about taxpayer money going to banks without stipulations. We gave the banks billions and they pay it out in bonuses. Maybe we should have just done a direct deposit in the exec's bank accounts. The stimulus looks to be a bunch of BS. We would have been better off putting money into the hands of consumers. I'm thoroughly disgusted with the government. I'm sure hanging around this message board doesn't help. Some days I really feel like leaving this country and it wretched politicians.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:25 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,634,586 times
I kind of agree with ozzie679 except for the leaving the country part.

O'bama is doing a decent job considering the circumstances. I had hoped he would pull our troops out of the wars and use the money to rebuild our domestic defense and energy infrastructure. I am also disappointed that he did not propose a single payer health care system supported by a progressive tax system. Maybe he will in his next term.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:06 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,754,899 times
Even though im mostly conservative,when he was elected i wanted to..
Hope for the best and hope he would go centrist and improve things.
He gets an F based on his Czar's alone,in a center-right country how..
Can you appoint leftist whacko's like he has.
He isnt getting out of Iraq soon enough and i believe Afghanistan is a..
Waste of our soldiers lives and our resources.
He wants to give Amnesty for Illegals,Pass "CAP & TAX" and push a..
Healthcare plan that wont work well and will cost money we dont have.
Wont cost the Taxpayers one dime ..my @zz!
At a time our economy is so weak he wants to push extra taxes.
He gets a F!

Old 11-18-2009, 11:11 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,480,278 times
Obama gets a B+

(would have been higher but I disagree about Gitmo)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies