Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 11:16 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,768,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The administration's leaked plans to move terrorists from Guantanamo to a little used prison in Thompson, Illinois is indicative of the desperation they feel over their promise to close the Cuban facility and move the terrorists anywhere.

The prison is a $145 million white elephant. When Illinois was comparatively flush with capital, it built the 1,600-bed penitentiary to stimulate the depressed Mississippi Valley town. But the state is now a basket case. Budgetary woes have squeezed law-enforcement funding, and local politicians - including former state senator Barack Obama - have insisted that alternatives to incarceration be found, even for violent offenders; as a consequence less than 10 percent of the TCC's space is currently being used. Naturally, Obama's home-state Democrats are thrilled by the prospect of having Uncle Sam take the TCC off the state's hands. Sen. Dick Durbin and Gov. Pat Quinn issued a statement rapt at the prospect of "generating up to 3,800 jobs" and "injecting more than $1 billion into the regional economy."
Arf. As Mr. Moran points out, if the military is going to be put in charge of guarding this prison, why move these terrorists from Gitmo in the first place? Pure, unadulterated politics. Doesn't mix well with the military concept, IMO. Can hardly wait till some liberal judge decides to let 'em out on bail, pending trials. Now THAT could get real interesting. I'm sure the inhabitants of Thomson, IL, will take the terrorists in, feed 'em, house 'em, employ 'em.

American Thinker Blog: 'Gitmo by the lake'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 11:24 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Gitmo is a world-wide, political, toxic liability for the United States. Obama has promised to close it down as part of his election campaign. The people elected him by an overwhelming majority based on his agenda. He is in the process of fulfilling his campaign promises. If you and your fringe opinion peices don't like it, you have the option to try and vote him out in 2012.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:27 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Gitmo is a world-wide, political, toxic liability for the United States. Obama has promised to close it down as part of his election campaign. The people elected him by an overwhelming majority based on his agenda. He is in the process of fulfilling his campaign promises. If you and your fringe opinion peices don't like it, you have the option to try and vote him out in 2012.
Easy for somebody to say that lives so far from Illinois.

Before you play that we are the "fringe" BS, maybe you should take a look at the poll numbers instead of just refering back to the "election". It appears as though people are unhappy with HOW he is implementing his promises. Thats something thats import to us "fringe" people that aren't robots to the Obama machine.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:36 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,768,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Gitmo is THE safest place to keep terrorists, PERIOD. You and obama are very naive, very narcissistic if you think otherwise. And you can bet your sweet bippy I'll be voting against him, and the dems in 2012, and 2010. I think a lot of dems will be coming back to the bright side, too. You? No, you're forever on the dark side. Pity.

And it's pIEces, "i" before "e" except after "c", with some exceptions.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:42 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Gitmo is THE safest place to keep terrorists, PERIOD. You and obama are very naive, very narcissistic if you think otherwise. And you can bet your sweet bippy I'll be voting against him, and the dems in 2012, and 2010. I think a lot of dems will be coming back to the bright side, too. You? No, you're forever on the dark side. Pity.

And it's pIEces, "i" before "e" except after "c", with some exceptions.
Thanks for your spell check. I have a problem with words and spelling more and more as I age.

I hope my opinion doesn't p!$$ you off. It's just my opinion you know. But then again so is your's and the piece you posted.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:52 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,267,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Easy for somebody to say that lives so far from Illinois.
I live about 3 hours away from this place, my friend who lives IN Illinois lives even closer. She never mentioned a word of about this & I haven't given it a second thought. Paranoia can really cause some people to come undone. It's dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies