Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 06:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

I hate to say it but its a futile attempt to ban any word now days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 07:17 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Can you actually legislate against a word? Who's going to enforce that law? And if you stand up in public and call someone "mentally retarded," what's going to happen to you? Arrest, a trial by jury and two years in jail for speaking a couple of words?

Someone had a bad batch of coffee the day that "law" was proposed.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:33 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I know it isn't PC to say "retarded" anymore, but I don't really get why. My son had "intrauterine growth retardation." His growth was "retarded" stopped, stunted. I don't see why the term "mental retardation" has become a no no.
My aunt was mentally retarded. She also had cerebral palsy. She died in the early 90's at the age of 61, before she got to be "developmentally disabled" and "physically challenged".

A law like that is retarded. It's just language. The word "idiot" once meant the same thing, but no one uses it in its proper form anymore and no one is making a law about that.

In 1856, Dr. Langdon Down, Medical Superintendent of the Royal Earlswood Asylum for Idiots in Redhill, Surrey, England wrote his paper on "an ethnic classification of idiots" because he'd noticed that certain of the idiots in his asylum had similar physical characteristics so pronounced they all appeared to be related to one another. From then on those idiots were specifically called "Mongolian Idiots" until the early 1960's when the syndrome was renamed for him.

No one calls Down's Syndrome kids idiots anymore, but we still use the word to denote willful stupidity and no one says, "hey don't say that, my sister is an idiot." "Retarded" is going the same way.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:38 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My aunt was mentally retarded. She also had cerebral palsy. She died in the early 90's at the age of 61, before she got to be "developmentally disabled" and "physically challenged".

A law like that is retarded. It's just language. The word "idiot" once meant the same thing, but no one uses it in its proper form anymore and no one is making a law about that.

In 1856, Dr. Langdon Down, Medical Superintendent of the Royal Earlswood Asylum for Idiots in Redhill, Surrey, England wrote his paper on "an ethnic classification of idiots" because he'd noticed that certain of the idiots in his asylum had similar physical characteristics so pronounced they all appeared to be related to one another. From then on those idiots were specifically called "Mongolian Idiots" until the early 1960's when the syndrome was renamed for him.

No one calls Down's Syndrome kids idiots anymore, but we still use the word to denote willful stupidity and no one says, "hey don't say that, my sister is an idiot." "Retarded" is going the same way.
good post. actually i am an idiot and tried to make the same point but a mod deleted it as being off topic. go figure

Old 11-18-2009, 08:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
exactly retarded to me means simply different .in the 60's we used to retard the timing on our muscle cars to get a few more horses out of em. it was a very innocent term.and still is. why should we rewrite our entire language cause some person goes to to many malls and sporting events
Back in the 60s, my firend with the retarded sister really chewed someone out for saying something was "retarded". She said it was disrespectful to her sister. This was well before the days of "PC" language. It is disrespectful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
What is interesting is many of the words the left winger whiners are trying to get rid of is the very words they use themselves. Just do a google search on some of those words and see who or what has the web site. Try the word love.doll posted.
Oh, give me a break. I haven't used the word "retarded" in decades. It was disrespectful then and it's disrespectful now.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:00 PM

i dont care i still retard my jeep 2 degrees for pullin the hills. if a good thing is now a bad thing too freaking bad

Old 11-18-2009, 09:27 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Mentally advanced equal hyper active kid?

Old 11-18-2009, 09:58 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
And people wonder why liberals are the laughing-stock of humanity. It would be funny if it weren't so damn retarded.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
And people wonder why liberals are the laughing-stock of humanity. It would be funny if it weren't so damn retarded.
Sometimes I wish we could still give negative rep.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sometimes I wish we could still give negative rep.
now that would be retarded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies