Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:39 AM

53 posts, read 70,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Perhaps many parents don't know how to do that. They need help.
How is "The Great Society" working out for these kids?

The underclass in our society...I'm not talking about poor people that are working and find themselves in temporary hard situations, but the underclass: that huge group that has been on the gubmnt teat for 50+ years...DON'T NEED ANY MORE HELP LIKE THE LIBS HAVE BEEN GIVING.

How has keeping this huge group of people infantile by throwing $$$ at them helped them?

The libs are so misguided on this it's heartbreaking. The parents don't know how to feed their kids decent food, but instead use the food stamps/welfare, etc. on crap causing a massive wave of obese kids. Please, lefties....These people don't need any more of your brand of help.

People are going to be in for a rude awakening. All that fluffy "Hope and Change" is going to start hurting those on the bottom first.

Things are going to start to get pretty rough soon. We can't borrow any more money for any new "programs" to help these "victims". Everyone is going to have to suck it up and take care of themselves and their families.

Here is an idea: Bring back stigma and ridicule for producing out of wedlock children. Do not fund day care in high schools.

Cut welfare time limits more than Clinton did. I didn't care for that guy, but he was pretty good with the welfare situation. Why not make him Underclass Czar?

Go ahead and think this is cruel. It is reality. The permanent underclass in this country just keeps going from generation to generation. Most can't speak english...it's either spanglish or some form of slang/dialect. Unwed births are out of control. Obesity out of control. Drop out rate out of control. Drug abuse out of control. Child abuse out of control.

Throwing more $$$ hasn't helped this situation it has made it snow ball.

Now, there is no more $$$. Things are going to get pretty dicey, but people are resourceful. If there are fewer handouts there will be more desire to work. That's where I think we need to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 12:40 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
25% of kids are obese.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
I'll bet my charitible donation is bigger than yours.
I bet it is. I know what I give to various organizations and am usually surprised at how little the hard core liberals I know give. These subjects come up in conversation, so it's what they actually tell me. Plus, and this is just anectdotal I realize, but the more liberal they sway, the more they give to the animal causes not the human ones. Again, I realize it's just my own observations...but I think I'm on to something here.

Hey, I love dogs and give to the local charity...but most of my offerings are for humans.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The thing is Americans are generous people. If there was a way that people could donate on-line to a reputable and honest organization that provided food to needy children in the United States, people would donate. I often find that there is a huge willingness to help people but scam artists have ruined that.

If someone knows of such an organization that does, provide it here. My advice is to find people in the community to help. I'm sure there are people you work with or know that need help. Do your part and offer any assistance you can. A lot of people especially the poor are proud and honest folk who don't want hand-outs even though they need help. Get past that and offer them help.
Oh, I'm glad you posted this! Check out Feed the Children. I think it's a wonderful organization. It's our #1 charity to give $$$ to, plus you can get involved personally and donate your time. 91% of donations go to actual food/services/medicine, etc. It is a Christian organization...but provide relief to any and all. They REALLY know how to stretch a dollar. It's a wonderful organization that really offers a helping hand--they need money now because of Haiti, etc., the economy.....They have different divisions, so you know where your money is going to. I'm interested in helping people out that are out of work and just need some help in the interim. They are terrific for helping families out...Then the families can help out later on when things turn around.

Great, great organization.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
What radio program told you this? It painted a misleading picture, if it left you feeling overwhelmed by the thought of millions of dark-skinned Democrats out there laughing at your gullibility.

Is that even a true story, about a radio program?

Race card! You are always quick to play!

Old 03-05-2010, 01:25 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalit View Post

The underclass in our society...I'm not talking about poor people that are working and find themselves in temporary hard situations, but the underclass: that huge group that has been on the gubmnt teat for 50+ years...DON'T NEED ANY MORE HELP LIKE THE LIBS HAVE BEEN GIVING.

How has keeping this huge group of people infantile by throwing $$$ at them helped them?

The libs are so misguided on this it's heartbreaking. The parents don't know how to feed their kids decent food, but instead use the food stamps/welfare, etc. on crap causing a massive wave of obese kids. Please, lefties....These people don't need any more of your brand of help.

People are going to be in for a rude awakening. All that fluffy "Hope and Change" is going to start hurting those on the bottom first.

Things are going to start to get pretty rough soon. We can't borrow any more money for any new "programs" to help these "victims". Everyone is going to have to suck it up and take care of themselves and their families.

Here is an idea: Bring back stigma and ridicule for producing out of wedlock children. Do not fund day care in high schools.

Cut welfare time limits more than Clinton did. I didn't care for that guy, but he was pretty good with the welfare situation. Why not make him Underclass Czar?

Go ahead and think this is cruel. It is reality. The permanent underclass in this country just keeps going from generation to generation. Most can't speak english...it's either spanglish or some form of slang/dialect. Unwed births are out of control. Obesity out of control. Drop out rate out of control. Drug abuse out of control. Child abuse out of control.

Now, there is no more $$$. Things are going to get pretty dicey, but people are resourceful. If there are fewer handouts there will be more desire to work. That's where I think we need to start.
I know all this sounds mean a cruel but there is truth in here. We didn't just set up a system to help people, we set up a system to help people create even more people who then needed help.

I also agree that we need social stigmas. We need people to feel embarassed by things they do, to want to live in a way that gets approval from society, to not get to do whatever they want and have people tell them how special they are. Look how that turned out and what people are doing these days, with no shame. Shame is a good thing.
I don't have a nice, pretty answer to this problem but I know that it's going to hurt.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:25 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,741,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Way to presume. I've had my share, but NEVER asked or expected "freebies" from anyone and sure as hell didn't "play the system" or make excuses. I busted my butt to build a life for myself.
Children & the elderly dont get a choice to ' bust their butts '

[/quote] More foolish presumptions. I'm likely older than the vast majority of people on this board. I suspect quite a bit more than you, in fact. [/quote]

Now who is being foolishly presumptious, you would maybe be surprised.

[/quote] And frankly, if you live to be 100, it would seem you will never really get the concept of personal responsibility. ie no, we are NOT ALL responsible for OTHER people's children...THEY ARE. This isn't a communist country; sorry. [/quote]

I don't want a communist country, just a bit of empathy for those in need.
We should try to help the children & the elderly, after all isn't that what JESUS would do?

Old 03-05-2010, 12:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
We do already help enough IMHO but it always ends up never being enough and the cry is for more.

At this point I'd say the best way to help is charge the parents with neglect and put the kid into a foster home. Time to get tough.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:47 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
No, its because they eat too much and don't get enough exercise. Too many calories.

Exactly, perhaps "crappy" food has higher caloric content than "healthy" food but the equation's pretty simple. Burn more calories than you take in and you'll lose weight.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:00 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalit View Post

Here's some stats to back you up

In 2008, government spent $714 billion on welfare. This spending was the result of steady permanent growth in welfare spending over several decades rather than a short-term response to temporary economic conditions.

Of the $714 billion in welfare spending, $522 billion (73 percent) was federal expenditures, and $192 billion (27 percent) was state government funds. Nearly all state government welfare programs are required to match contributions to federal welfare programs. These contributions are a "welfare tax" that the states have to pay.

No one wants to talk about it - what a terrible thing to cut off the poor, but it needs to be addressed if we are talking about what we as a nation can sustain in the future.

While it is a moral thing to help those in need, is it the government's role, or should it remain with personal charity and our churches? I think the latter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies