Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of feminism?
I approve of feminism 57 58.16%
I strongly disapprove of feminism 41 41.84%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 02:01 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I prefer respect, courtesy and consideration for everyone not simply based on one's gender.
I do,too but obviously SOME feel that simply being female should earn you MORE respect or special consideration....
and are far too weak(Helpless, incompetant?) to open a door by themselves. What silly games they like to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 02:08 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
The old "she can't carry someone out of a burning building" scenario.

Did it EVER occur to you that some women CAN be strong? No, it didn't. Did it ever occur to you that some MEN are not very strong? No, it didn't. So women should be excluded from an occupation that they MAY or MAY not be able to do because they MIGHT not be able to do it ? But men should be allowed to have a job they MAY or MAY NOT be able to do???
If a woman has the physical strength and ability to perform the job, then she has every right to apply. I hate the notion that the physical abilities tests for certain occupations get watered down just to fill some affirmative action quotas for women. If women want to be seen as equals, then they need to do the same job without any modifications given because they lack physical strength. Vice versa for men entering professions that are dominated by women ... They need to fulfill the same job standards as women do.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:10 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Many of us who voted against it did clarify. We fully support equality but the current brand of feminism is "anti-male, anti-child, anti-marriage, etc." This is why I voted against feminism. No, I am not a neanderthal.
Seriously I thought we had moved beyong this point of the discussion. Explain the "current brand of feminism", who exactly are you referring to? Are there current feminist leaders or organizations that you are referring to? People keep bringing this up without clarification, so I am at a loss. I consider myself a feminist, and I am a happily married stay-at-home mom, does that mean I am not eligible in the "current feminist" club?. A feminist is any woman or man who thinks that people should be treated equally, it's really that simple.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Seriously I thought we had moved beyong this point of the discussion. Explain the "current brand of feminism", who exactly are you referring to? Are there current feminist leaders or organizations that you are referring to? People keep bringing this up without clarification, so I am at a loss. I consider myself a feminist, and I am a happily married stay-at-home mom, does that mean I am not eligible in the "current feminist" club?. A feminist is any woman or man who thinks that people should be treated equally, it's really that simple.
and that is why i like your posts. more reps comin.
happy sunday thank you god for good women.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:24 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
"""A feminist is any woman or man who thinks that people should be treated equally, it's really that simple"""

Yes, that's it.

However, that scares and intimidates some people...it's easier to have strict rules and guidelines for the sexes, no matter how detrimental, because it beats the heck out of THINKING!

Old 11-22-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Well, if you're ever in a burning building , (and as a big strong man you can't get yourself out) tell the female firefighter that shows up to rescue you, "No, thanks".
The point he was trying to make is that women should be held to the same physical standards and pass the same tests that men do for firefighters. If a test is watered down, then it isn't equal.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
But you can't discount science in this matter. Peak physical fitness in a woman will result in different physiological parameters than peak physical fitness in a man, it just is that way. Standardizing parameters is going to result in women being ineligible, or men being unfit. I wouldn't have said it affects their capabilities to have different parameters. Whether women are physically able to perform as required by the job is a different matter, and has to be determined case by case, don't you think?
If a woman can't perform the physical requirements of carrying people out of a burning building, then she should not be a firefighter then! This is a job that requires quick action in life-threatening situations so if a woman (or man for that matter) cannot meet the standards, they should not be hired!

Old 11-22-2009, 02:45 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
If a woman can't perform the physical requirements of carrying people out of a burning building, then she should not be a firefighter then! This is a job that requires quick action in life-threatening situations so if a woman (or man for that matter) cannot meet the standards, they should not be hired!
That is what I said in my post. Whether women are physically able to perform as required by the job is a different matter, and has to be determined case by case, don't you think?

The previous point I was making was in reference to cardio parameters set for evaluating fitness, not strength. There are quantifiable physiological differences between men and women, and these determine physiological parameters at peak fitness, influenced largely by differences in heart size, and lung capacity.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I do,too but obviously SOME feel that simply being female should earn you MORE respect or special consideration....
and are far too weak(Helpless, incompetant?) to open a door by themselves. What silly games they like to play.
I can open a door for myself and have opened doors for both men and women out of respect. As a lady, I do enjoy chivalry and having a gentleman treat me like a lady. Unfortunately, the militant feminist movement of the past few decades have vilified this behavior in men so they are avoid chivalry to avoid offending ladies. It's sad.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
It is the "all men are pigs" and "marriage is drudgery," and "those who have children are breeders" brand of feminism. These are the type of feminist attitudes that turn me off. I am all for equality and if that is the definition that the OP was referring to in the poll, then it's too late to change my answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies