Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:15 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,049,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
how much longer til the double dip recession happens?
I predict next fall. By then Government support will be minimal, home prices (although up on a month to month basis) will be sliding again and unemployment will have barely improved. This all leads to a lack of demand.

While there are signs of more economic/manufactoring activity it is not nearly enough to support any great job recovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 01:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
I predict next fall. By then Government support will be minimal, home prices (although up on a month to month basis) will be sliding again and unemployment will have barely improved. This all leads to a lack of demand.

While there are signs of more economic/manufactoring activity it is not nearly enough to support any great job recovery.
There is not enough consumer activity. Jobs are scarce and what's out there is low paying. Credit is dried up as well. How do consumers go out and buy all the plastic pumpkins when they worry about their jobs ?

I know, I know..government charts say plenty of jobs got created.
But I also know my neighbor's two son-in-laws got laid off this week and there was a stealth firing at my job of a good number of people.

Sorry..I'm just not feeling those green shoots around me. I still have a job but don't feel secure in it at all and save all I can ....just in case.

If more are feeling like me then you won't get consumer spending rev'd up again very soon. Because we're all stashing our extra money away...just in case.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,271,755 times
Default Green shoots! 1,000 NYC transit workers cut

MTA To Cut 1,000 Jobs; Security Concerns Grow - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/local/mta.cuts.jay.2.1512243.html - broken link)

Old 02-23-2010, 09:14 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,069,300 times
Bloomberg sucks. NYC is so large job loses and what not trickle to the metro area. We were feeling it here in NorJers when he raised fares and tolls.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:56 PM

Budget deficits..what else can you do. It's happening all over the country.
We're gonna have to suck it up and make do. State and Local governments have mandated balanced budgets.

There's no revenue. Can't raise taxes cause too many are out of work.

It sucks but reality is we're broke.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:00 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,698,045 times
So, what's your solution, Summer73? You conservatives always post (with a seeming degree of delight) everytime more people lose their jobs. Not necessarily happy they lost their jobs, but in the sense that you seem to feel validated in believing current policies are failing to solve the problem. Otherwise, why do only people from your ideology post such stories?

McCain proposed to freeze all federal spending as his solution to this mess. Would that have solved it by now? Would these transit workers have kept their jobs? I'm asking seriously, not sarcastically. I don't see how that would have solved anything by now.

From what I can tell, a stimulus has provided some cover for state and local governments to minimize stories like this. But so many can do nothing but attack anyone who supports it.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:07 PM

The stimulus was only a bandaid though bluefly. With an extremely weak recovery there just isn't the revenue to pick up what the stimulus covered.

The government bet on a quicker recovery. It didn't happen. Reality is setting in and government services will be cut.

Just today the Austin Texas school board had to declare a fiscal emergency so that they could legally fire people who are under contract. Again..stimulus money ran out and bills have to be paid. $7 million deficit and they have to cut about 100 jobs now.

http://www.590klbj.com/News/Story.aspx?ID=1199322

Old 02-23-2010, 10:17 PM

The thing is New York didn't have a budget problem. It wasn't perfect but there's been worse. Bloomberg raised tolls, fares, city alcohol and tobacco taxes and school funding without the intent of redistributing or investing. He's a former Wall Street guy who views government like a corporation. He's essentially getting every dime he can get and minimizing the pool to distibute the wealth. With the good amount of money made by the city, he hasn't started any significant public works project. The subway stations are still disgusting, there are still massive potholes every other block, the cops are vastly underpaid, the schools are failing, and he hasn't done crap. He's a greedy pig that couldn't care less about the city and its well-being. The one significant thing he did was expand the health services branch. This past year, more peanut, pretzel and hot dog vendors were shut down more than any year in the city's history. Bravo

Old 02-23-2010, 10:21 PM

The article says the MTA is in the red for $378 million. That's a lot of money.

And twista6002..the pretzel vendors are gone ?

Oh to have one of those right now..you brought back such memories.
(I grew up in NYC..upper Manhattan)

pretzels-pizza-bagels some of the best NYC food in the world that cannot be reproduced anywhere.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:32 PM

The MTA was in debt but the city wasn't. And the pretzel guys aren't gone, there are just less of them. But being from Philly I prefer a Philly Soft Pretzel (preferibly with cheese whiz to dip) over a NY pretzel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies