Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 08:56 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times

Advertisements

I seem to manage quite well with no credit cards at all. I only use loans for car or property purchases.
The only credit card I have ever had was a Sears card they sent me and I tore it up 35 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 09:54 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post

Still watching the shiny coin?

The Senate doesn't have time to deal with this because they have to debate the health care boodoggle that won't take effect until 2013?

These are the same people (Dodd) who "forgot" to limit executive pay and bonuses allowed by TARP."wink","wink"

Chris Dodd: Campaign Finance/Money - Top Donors - Senator 2010 | OpenSecrets

Now you believe Republicans who can't use the Senate rest room without first raising their hand and getting Reid's permission are ruining Christmas?

Why didn't they simply write it correctly to begin with?

Give up?

Because then the Democrats wouldn't be able to play this Münchhausen by proxy head game with the simpletons who keep voting for them while they are actually bought off in advance by the same business entities from which they claim to be protecting their constituents.

If the argument was the industry was unable to institute the changes in the time frame originally desired, what has changed that they are now able to alter the legislation?

Does the industry no longer need this extra time?

"The Senate moves much more slowly and the credit card industry has been arguing that it can't practically get its act together to implement the reforms that quickly."

Write it correctly the first time or move it through more quickly. Those are the options for the Democratically controlled Senate.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:48 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
This shouldn't surprise anyone.

For the past 20 years, the GOP have been the complete toadies of corporate interests. They work tirelessly for big business and against the public. If someone is not aware of this, it's only because they haven't been paying attention for quite awhile.

Nothing to see here, folks. Please move along.
Thread # 1239 ignoring that the Democrats could pass this bill by THEMSELVES if they wanted.

You've drank deep of the coolaid but probably tell people you are open-minded and "independent".

As a REAL independent, I urge you to take stands on issues and vote accordingly. Currently, you are just handing your vote over blindly.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:53 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
I overpayed my card one month just for fun. Waited two weeks and called them for my money. They said I had to wait a billing cycle. I told them I charged 7.9%, which was the rate on my card, but if they were late it went to 29%. She laughed really hard and said she would submit it for payment. I was hoping for a computer glitch and a big return. Guess they got that angle covered.
If you'd ever taken a finance class you'd understand that what you just wrote was the equivalent of thinking that if you could cook a turkey at 400 degrees for 3 hours....that 120,000 degrees for a minute would produce the same result.

I weep at the education and certainty being shown in this thread. Dear god....

Old 11-23-2009, 04:19 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I thnik ti would be a good thing as most credit card companies would then bring alot of peoples credit card limits to zero until they paid off their credit debt.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:52 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
But the Dems aren't the ones blocking something that could fix a mistake of the original bill and set things right.. the Republicans are!

The Dems are trying to set it right.. perhaps their was oversight when they originally proposed the law, which ultimately we needed anyway.. and they are now trying to set it right.

once again the Repubs are acting like children.. blocking the change to correct it and then saying.. see.. see. see.. you did this.. .. yeah.. they did, but now they are trying to correct it.

Hey.. at least the Dems are trying to do something about it . .. rather than the great big nothing we've gotten from the Republican party the prior 8 years.
Oh I love it.
The Republicans are evil but the Democrats are 'just' incompetent, but that's OK.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Whats to apologize for?

The Democratic argument when it was pointed out that fees would go up and higher interest rates from the Obama passed legislation, resulted in "you can simply choose not to use your credit card if you dont like the fees", will apply here.

Dont like the interest rate, dont use it.. Hey, D words, not R..
yep, I think there is more to this than we know: We cancelled one of ours that happened to be fairly large and we it was one we had since the 1980s. Never were we late, always paid it off or paid much more than min payments, but when the rate wernt from 8.6% to 18% we said bye, bye!!!!

NIta

Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,765,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I seem to manage quite well with no credit cards at all. I only use loans for car or property purchases.
The only credit card I have ever had was a Sears card they sent me and I tore it up 35 years ago.

The problem is if you get rid of all your available credit it hurts your credit score.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies