Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,496 times

Advertisements

The lines for her book were crazy on TV. For me, in Barack we Trust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 03:31 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
I cannot stand that she has suffered from overt sexist bigoted hypocritical attack from the left.

I am a conservative.

But I am not on board. She made some serious mistakes that were her fault in the Couric interview and in the Gibson interview.

And I will be honest, I don’t like the way she speaks in interviews at all, it’s like she talks in run-on sentences. That bugs me.

I do think she is right on the issues but I have not seen her stand up to the test and pass yet. She has a lot of work to do.

She did some things as governor that were brilliant and that clearly show she is tuff. Standing up to Exxon etc. showed iron.

I also think the kind of withering attacks by democrats on the bogus ethics violations was just sick but it worked. They drove her out of office. I wonder what impact that will have on her ability to run for President?

I like some things about her but she has some serious negatives to over come before I will get on the band wagon.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:34 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
Nope, you are not the only one. I think most supporters are nervous about stepping out and saying they support her because of the attacks from the left. For some reason, they are very scared of of Palin.
Here is my basic take on why the left is scared of palin and why they act like they do.

1. She is a woman who is a conservative. The liberal line is that women vote for liberals because liberals fight for women’s rights. They know the danger of losing the female vote. If women vote for republicans in a 50/50 split, no democrat can be elected president. This is a simple statistical fact.
2. She is a woman who is a conservative. In addition to the previous point, as a woman, she gets huge support from conservative men. Liberals and the Democratic Party have done a careful job of painting the Republican Party as the party of rich white men who are sexist bigots. Heavy support by men explode the myth democrats have worked so carefully at building over the last 40 years.
3. She elicits a visceral response from those who agree with her on the issues. One of the most important factors in an election is determining which side is motivated. You saw this play out in the last election. The Democrats were highly motivated and they were able to get people to vote that had never voted before. There was a visceral response to Obama. Palin has that thing (what ever it is) that causes people to just love her. She draws huge crowds. Democrats know that if they cannot destroy her, she presents a kind of problem they can’t defend against. If she can overcome the objections she has a huge advantage over the entire field in this area.

You have to understand the mindset of the Democratic Party. There are 3 things that matter in politics
1. Saul Alinsky’s Rules for Radicals: The primary rule here is to never attack the institution. Instead, you pick individuals who represent the institution and destroy them. By doing that, you smear the institution.
2. Machiavelli’s The Prince: This book has been the standard of international politics for 400 years. The bottom line here is that the end justifies the means. Where Democrats are concerned, Truth is irrelevant. Their cause is sacrosanct. Thus they are justified in any action so long as they get what they want. Thus the reason Bill Clinton was allowed to sexually harass women without being taken to task by NOW and other feminist organizations. He was one of them. He would get the laws passed that they liked.
3. Sun Tzu’s The Art of War. Sun Tzu was a 6th century Chinese general. This book makes one over arching point. Total Annihilation. It is important to understand that to democrats, they realize that you cannot have a “moral victory” that leaves your opponent still capable of coming back. You defeat utterly. You don’t stop until the enemy is incapable of regrouping and coming at you again. Defeat the enemy and defeat them utterly.

I would also point out that Rules for Radicals also has one other rule that applies to Sarah Palin. Make your opponent live up to their own standard. No one can do it. This is why liberals attack her family. They first make the case that the conservatives are “for family values”. Then they attack her family because there is vulnerability there.

Some will charge that conservatives play by these same rules. I would argue that to their detriment they do not. I would also argue that Conservatives should play by these rules, and as long as they don’t, they will face defeat.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:35 PM

48 posts, read 104,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Yes, the thought of her holding an office of high power in this country scares me. But I too would like to hear why you are a supporter of her? What do you feel qualifies her as a viable candidate for high office?
There have been previous presidents with little political experience like Dwight Eisenhower and Andrew Jackson. They were both very good military generals but before becoming president had next to no political experience.

Also, look at Al Franken. He was a comedian before becoming senator.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:35 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
What policies exactly are those?
Shared ownership of natural resources, of course.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:36 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesota rocks over fl View Post
Am I the only person who supports Palin?
There is many that does. I just dont think shes the right choice to beat Obama

She cant get indpendents or hispanics.

She has way to much previous baggage

Old 11-19-2009, 03:41 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Default Support her for what ?

If you want to support her then buy her book !
She isn't running for any office. I happen to like her but I'm not running out and buying her book either. I really don't understand what all the fuss over her is all about but it sure must be good for book sales !

Old 11-19-2009, 03:42 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesota rocks over fl View Post
Am I the only person who supports Palin?
While I have some doubts about her ability to be POTUS, I generally like her sentiments on many issues. Overall, I have a favorable impression of her.

For POTUS, at this time I'd really like to see Haley Barbour as the GOP candidate.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:43 PM

48 posts, read 104,873 times
I think I will go and buy her book. I think it will be interesting. I think it will have great sales.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:43 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,736 times
I like fiction books, but I don't like when fiction pretends to be non-fiction so I won't buy her book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies