Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:37 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
They all do. Does that mean we should look the other way when it's "our" party?
Thanks for the "uncommon" sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 10:53 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Here's a little insight into how the political system works. The Dems will bring the senate bill to a vote to bring it to the floor. There will be 60 votes to do that as no democrat wants to be the one to cut the party off at the knees. Joe Leiberman included. Then there will be endless amendments and provisions that will be added by both parties. Then the bill in combination with the house bill will be sent to committee for final revision. Once that is done then it is passed by the house and then passed by the senate by a simple majority of 51 votes. The Blue Dogs can vote against it to please their constituents and the dems will still get 51 votes. Those advocating for health care reform can rest easy as it is a done deal. Those who are against it are SOL. I would bet the farm on it.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:57 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The $100 Million Health Care Vote? - The Note

Well, well, well. How low will they go.
Cry me a river.

You are pefectly fine with corporations throwing hundreds of Millions in lobbying money to influence votes.

Cause that's free speech right?

Well this is free speech too. We fairly elected these Dems into leadership control and what they are doing is perfectly legal...

Deal with it.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:00 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,249 times
Huey Long must be looking up from hell beaming with pride at the deal his corrupt state cut.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:05 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Here's a little insight into how the political system works. The Dems will bring the senate bill to a vote to bring it to the floor. There will be 60 votes to do that as no democrat wants to be the one to cut the party off at the knees. Joe Leiberman included. Then there will be endless amendments and provisions that will be added by both parties. Then the bill in combination with the house bill will be sent to committee for final revision. Once that is done then it is passed by the house and then passed by the senate by a simple majority of 51 votes. The Blue Dogs can vote against it to please their constituents and the dems will still get 51 votes. Those advocating for health care reform can rest easy as it is a done deal. Those who are against it are SOL. I would bet the farm on it.
Are you talking about the session tomorrow? My understanding is that they will spend just one hour on the bill Saturday, and that no amendments will be allowed.

Don't even know why they're bothering with it, if they're only meeting for an hour. What does that accomplish.

Nevertheless, I've made my calls and sent my e-mails.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Are you talking about the session tomorrow? My understanding is that they will spend just one hour on the bill Saturday, and that no amendments will be allowed.

Don't even know why they're bothering with it, if they're only meeting for an hour. What does that accomplish.

Nevertheless, I've made my calls and sent my e-mails.
Tomorrow is the whole ball of wax, so to speak. The vote will be to bring the health care reform bill to the floor. This is the only vote that requires 60 votes to pass. If they get only 59 votes, the repubs can filibuster it and eventually kill it. That's not likely to happen as the whole future of the democratic party/administration rides on it. The dems who are against it can vote to bring it to the floor as they are not voting to pass it only to consider it. Once it is brought to the floor, both parties can add amendments and fight over the final wording, but the dems have the votes to add or subtract whatever they want. The repubs don't. Then it goes to committee which is stacked democrat. The final vote is only a majority vote of 51 so the blue dogs can go home and tell their conservatives that they voted against it but it still passes. Everybody goes home happy except the repubs who know this puts a nail in the coffin of their party chances. Isn't the political system wonderful? Hah!

Old 11-20-2009, 11:26 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Tomorrow is the whole ball of wax, so to speak. The vote will be to bring the health care reform bill to the floor. This is the only vote that requires 60 votes to pass. If they get only 59 votes, the repubs can filibuster it and eventually kill it. That's not likely to happen as the whole future of the democratic party/administration rides on it. The dems who are against it can vote to bring it to the floor as they are not voting to pass it only to consider it. Once it is brought to the floor, both parties can add amendments and fight over the final wording, but the dems have the votes to add or subtract whatever they want. The repubs don't. Then it goes to committee which is stacked democrat. The final vote is only a majority vote of 51 so the blue dogs can go home and tell their conservatives that they voted against it but it still passes. Everybody goes home happy except the repubs who know this puts a nail in the coffin of their party chances. Isn't the political system wonderful? Hah!
I think if the Dems pull this off this way, they will have sealed their fate for 2010. Our costs will go up immediately, and people will feel it all the way to the voting polls.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I think if the Dems pull this off this way, they will have sealed their fate for 2010. Our costs will go up immediately, and people will feel it all the way to the voting polls.
You very well may be right about that. Yet to be seen what the fallout is going to be. I'm only addressing the political machinations involved in getting there in the first place. Politics of the crudest nature.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Cry me a river.

You are pefectly fine with corporations throwing hundreds of Millions in lobbying money to influence votes.

Cause that's free speech right?

Well this is free speech too. We fairly elected these Dems into leadership control and what they are doing is perfectly legal...

Deal with it.
Well that's not our money. Giving away taxpayer money to buy votes should be our concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies